Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: [WIP] In-Game Portraits + feedback and discussion  (Read 76661 times)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2009, 03:33:50 PM »

ACK, I'll rework this piece and submit corrected proposal as soon as the exact format will be established (or even earlier). I only want to see what the writing department would say before finishing this guy.

It really took 20 minutes. I wanted to upload whole thing in the morning (proposals in writres,  my personal thread and here+

Later cropping in this case => head in the left-right center and more place for chest?

Important information for begginers (put it on wiki or sth) - even if PNG has some sort of compression ratio (like when saving in GIMP), it is in fact lossless. People can be confused with it.

I was unable to put .png here, file was too big.

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2009, 04:15:05 PM »

Oh don't worry, I was just mentioning the PNG/JPG thing just in case. For just posting here at the forums jpg or any other is fine. You might want to make the image not larger than let's say 500pxls in height if you use the attatchment manager. In any case it will be easier to view in the limited space the forum layout provides us with.

I actually took JustinOperable's female guard portrait (you'll find it at the gallery here: (http://wiki.parpg.net/Gallery?db92692_6_pa_rpg_wiki__session=e53d671613e7ec221051d0f41ff44540#Characters) as a base for the size of the head and face compared to the overall size of the picture itself.

Composition-wise, yes what you said - so when you crop it later the face will be the main actor in the image, pretty much in the center or slightly off the center.
Lively expressions like smiling and grinning and pouting and scowling, or clothing and things are details, they should just help to dot the i, so to speak.

Expressions are fine, but if possible then a certain look in the face, desperation-sadness-hopelessness, would add to the overall mood. They are living in pretty harsh conditions, nowadays, eh.

So far the characters I've drawn here myself have turned out all gloomy and sad :P It's not a goal in itself, though - I'll try to add more lively expressions to newer ones when I come around to 'em.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2009, 08:34:22 PM »

Here's a WIP in an early stage just to keep the ball running.

It's all smudgy-wudgy because of.. well.. the smudge tool, which I used to adjust some of the proportions of the face.
Man it's crazy painting chicks, you can't really put in any crazy bones or anything without making then look very un-lady-like

* hatgirl.jpg (97.62 KB, 408x500 - viewed 570 times.)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2009, 10:27:17 PM »

Guy is much more wrinkled now, seems like I'm getting somewhere, but I'm still far away. Any clues for a gadget for engineering gentleman?

The Hatgirl will be awsom, just keep on drawing.

There is one more thing - there is collection of trac tickets, and I know you make some pieces that will go there. Could you please update the tickets with info like "mine" or "will do" to rest of the team know instantly what will/will not be done, so eg. I can fill som holes or do something without doubling your job?

BTW, Gaspard, as we're both from Slavic nations (but I don't know how to read your письма) and ушанка (wikipedia...) is pronounced the same in our both languages - is the pilot's cap also "pilotka" in Russia?
Plain curiosity.

* elecronic.jpg (17.15 KB, 400x500 - viewed 565 times.)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:43:16 PM by Q_x » Logged

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2009, 11:08:31 PM »

BTW, Gaspard, as we're both from Slavic nations (but I don't know how to read your письма) and ушанка (wikipedia...) is pronounced the same in our both languages - is the pilot's cap also "pilotka" in Russia?
Plain curiosity.

I'm not Russian, actually, I just happen to be studying here ;) Um, I would have to get back to you with 'pilotka'. It sounds very familiar but I'd have to ask a friend.

Yep, I think you're taking it in the right direction all right
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2009, 06:56:04 AM »

Alas, and it has this slight feel of an American-Jewish actor smiling into the camera. He might be clean-cut and -shaven for a post-apoc person, but it's still post-apoc Wink It's a pretty gloomy world out there, there would have to be a very good reason for a person to smile like that all the time

I actually kind of like that he's smiling.  Some people are just naturally happy not matter what the circumstances.  However, this could be the exception to the rule...

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2009, 09:27:47 PM »

Ahasver. Sketchy again. More upon the subject in the writing forums.

During next week or  maybe even two my time spend upon PARPG trolling would be limited partially - I have to earn for a living.

* ahasver.jpg (41.3 KB, 400x500 - viewed 539 times.)

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2009, 05:33:14 PM »

updaet !

* hatgirl2.jpg (101.28 KB, 500x613 - viewed 566 times.)
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2009, 08:49:09 PM »

I like her... she looks very... normal.  Not all hollywood.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2009, 10:09:49 PM »

Plain curiosity.

Yup, I think "pilotka" is the same in both languages (+also in Estonian !)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2009, 10:33:05 PM »

Cute!

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2009, 03:55:18 PM »

These portraits are so damn cool.

Does anyone have one for "Kimmo Niitty" aka Nikolas aka "Kimmo Martinpoika" btw?

This is supposedly the older brother of the guy who is dead. I think we have had some discussion
about this already... I am working on a dialogue right now, and just noticed that he is missing a portrait.
(Or at least I can't find it right now)

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2009, 10:50:20 PM »

Sorry for the double post but can you help us check the wiki for mistakes or missing portraits?

I tried to ensure that most is correct but I may have missed or slipped a few things.

Here are important links to check:

http://wiki.parpg.net/Gallery#Characters
http://wiki.parpg.net/Draft:FEDEx_quest#Characters
http://wiki.parpg.net/Draft:Beer_quest#Characters

And most important the big collection which could be used as central "collection point" at:
http://wiki.parpg.net/TechDemo_Asset_ToDo#Characters

Edit: Zenbitz said hatgirl2.jpg will become Quartermaster for now. I am gonna add that soon to the wiki.

Btw Q_x any idea for that elecronic.jpg guy?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:10:20 AM by shevegen » Logged

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
JustinOperable
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2009, 01:22:29 AM »

The Quartermaster looks great, Gaspard. I really like the painterly style, and Gaspard has taken it even further than I did, and I'd like to see that style (painterly, not necessarily Gaspards specific technique) be the portrait standard. I have done some work on Ma and will post her up soon. Also, the drunkard version that is up is old. I have done a more recent version I posted in IRC and I will be doing some more changes to it soon. Also, I wanted to know what we are doing as far as backgrounds. I have the background on Jenna, and on the Drunkard, but it will be inconsistent if it's not in the other portraits so perhaps I should remove it?
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2009, 02:00:20 AM »

I personally wouldn't mind having different backgrounds for different portraits. You could argue that a consistent style makes sense but on the other side I would leave the freedom of choice what kind of background to use to that artists. If you guys agree on using a consistent background, great. If you decide that you want to use a custom background for every portrait, great as well :-)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to: