Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: [WIP] In-Game Portraits + feedback and discussion  (Read 76658 times)
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2010, 06:34:24 PM »

yeah bit more shadows and more "outlines" of the shape

also, i think the head angle seems a bit weird

but i like the colours!

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
comscar
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2010, 01:30:48 AM »

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/023/f/1/PARPG_prostitute_sketch_by_comscar.jpg

how's this? i stopped here because i wasn't sure if i should continue shading or not.

i kinda messed up the eye, so she still looks kinda hopeless, but let's just say she's giving a fake "puppy dog" look for now...
zeli
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2010, 11:26:13 AM »

I'm not a king at anatomy, but I do believe the neck is 1/3 too wide... except if its mutation of course.
Also it looks like the hair isn't affected by gravity and that it kinds of sticks to her head, like she used a lot of wax or something.
I'm not sure about that one, but it does seem like the nose is too small.
It definetly needs more shading to model the volume of the head/body (you could start by adding the shadow of the nose on her face, good way to add perspective).
Don't be afraid to use black (Gaspard does it, though theres a pitfall: you might 'kill' the colours).
This might be a bit late to mention it but try to be more loose with your style, don't be eum... 'shy', be more wild (and thus more expressive). Look at Gaspard's style to see what I mean.
Things I presume you were planning to do: make the cloth more raggy, make the backgound more interesting and perhaps adding more overall details.
comscar
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2010, 05:02:49 AM »

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/024/1/9/PARPG_prostitute_by_comscar.jpg

well, i put on more shading, but this is honestly the best i can do. without any kind of past experience or training, i am just learning as i go.

even with some online tutorials i look at, they are mostly based on intermediate artists and not beginners. feels like i am trying to run before i learn how to walk.

but hey, your guy's advice and tips defiantly made this look better than it did. not that it's any mona lisa right now, anyways.  

edit: i think my main problem was i wasn't using the airbrush tool. great time to just realize corel had one...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 02:02:57 AM by comscar » Logged
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2010, 10:42:51 AM »

man the last one is actually great improvement.

but don't drop it yet - you'll learn more if you try to push a single image.

Try to amp up the contrast (I DO NOT MEAN moving the contrast slider this way or that) use darker colour in places and move toward the lightest. I'd do a paintover to show what I mean But I do not have my tablet with me. I could do it in two weeks when I get back to Russia. It is very impressionistic right now
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2010, 11:43:03 AM »

comscar - this is the right way. You're making rapid progress, I'm really impressed (and jealous of how fast you're going forward).

I agree with Gaspard - you can try to make the body even more 3D-ish (or volume-having), eg. by working with transparent brush - changing it back and forth between colors of the shadow and light to make it more sculpted and less flat, and adding some things later.
Or you can go into details and make lips or eyes look better.
This are seriously hard things to catch, but once you'll see what is going on there, how the volume and shape are turning into shades, lights, shadows, blinks, colors, spots and lines, how one light part illuminates or shadows the other and how it all gets mixed in the eye when perceived - you'll know it for your whole life.
Learn to watch. Skin is really not pink at all - it has rather closer to a color of clay.

I hope you aren't bored with my mumbling, angry or sth.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:44:36 PM by Q_x » Logged

comscar
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2010, 04:51:31 PM »

haha, no i really appreciate your advice!

i have been doing the transparent brush strokes with different colors, but i guess a tapered camel brush was just a bad tool to use...

i'll paint over it with another tool
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2010, 10:04:26 AM »

I think it's pretty cool. If you can, do some last finishing touches, then state that it is finished.

It is better to have something you feel halfway comfortable, and besides I really think it is nice and people who want to make something better can well invest their own time. Cheesy

Once you are happy with it I put it to the gallery + wiki.

There is only one thing I think is a bit too much, this is the perspective of the left shoulder - the left shoulder area seems too big and should be smaller, I think. She has a bit too much a... muscular neck? If that makes sense hehe.

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »

Ma Niity draft. Still gonna mess with it a fair amount, but I thought I'd let people see, and C+C

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l375/JustinOperable/MaNiity-1.png

She's cool, never made it to wiki though.   What happened to unlit cigarette dangling from her mouth!  I wrote a whole dialog exchange for it!

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2010, 03:34:44 AM »

Yeah, I liked the earlier sketch as well Cheesy

The new one seems more serious

xseoer
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2010, 04:32:04 AM »

She looks too hopeless and pathetic for the character "as written" (all 3 sentences, maybe 6 if you include dialog).   The bar girls are more like "Gold digger" types... they won't just sleep with anyone for the post-apoc equivalent of $20 (a can of tuna and a knife?) but pick and choose their victims.  They might even just trick you out of your stuff.  Tough survivor types.
Yes,she really looks too hopeless and pathetic  Cry

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to: