Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: [WIP] In-Game Portraits + feedback and discussion  (Read 43502 times)
JustinOperable
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: October 10, 2009, 11:20:48 AM »

Hey guys, I've been putzing around IRC, and have checked out the techdemo quests. I figured I would make some item art as encouraged by a few developers and it can be seen here:

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l375/JustinOperable/GiftBox.png
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l375/JustinOperable/Pot.png
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l375/JustinOperable/Yeast.png

I'll be finishing up the Yam, Potatos and Grain by the end of the weekend. It can be used in game for the time being or just as concept art for a modeler if they wanna take the time. But I figured it'd be useful and potentially allow attentions to be placed elsewhere for the techdemo.

I also wanted to ask about in game portraits. I would love to do the npc portraits and have already begun on one which can be seen here (wery much a WIP):

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l375/JustinOperable/Drunkard.png

But I wanted to ask, it seems to me that 2D portraits would be fine and can be made quickly, but I didnt know if the game would just use prerenders in the end. I prefer 2D in the case of portraits, but if they will eventually be replaced by prerenders, then I will spend considerably less time polishing and just think of this all as concept art (sloppier and faster).

Thought I'd ask and let people chime in.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:51:21 PM by Gaspard » Logged
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 02:22:01 PM »

I am curious what Zenbitz has to say about the GiftBox Wink

And btw this NPC is awesome. But I think we need to talk a bit about it before, one problem I can see is that different artists will have different style AND quality. Perhaps it is no big problem, but it could also be a slight entry barrier for newcomers... on the other hand, like you said, good artists can attract other artists so perhaps I am wrong anyway.

Edit: Actually I just realized that we hardly have any NPC portrait at all on the http://wiki.parpg.net/Gallery ... we have a few character concepts, but not really portraits.

Only for Doctor Weir. So probably my aspect above is kinda moot, because if we dont have many portraits we dont have many different styles.... hehe Wink

Anyway I think 2D portraits are completely fine but let's try to get some people to think about the prerenderer aspect of NPCs. Personally I have a feeling that prerenderer could mean lesser quality, so even if I am wrong - I let this statement say, for someone else to correct me... Wink

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 02:31:25 PM »

Hello there JustinOperable, and welcome back.
Your objects look very good. Since inventory shots will be somewhat small I think they could be used for the end game. They're definitely fit for Techdemo1.
One word about portraits: if you browsed these forums you probably noticed we're just a couple of active graphics makers here, three with you, should you choose to stay. We hope to attract more people soon but for now it's us.
Personally I'm rendering a few characters for the demo, after that I'll have to tackle buildings/scenery props. Yes, the fact that you're making objects is a BIG plus.
In short, we either find somebody skilled enough to model real looking faces/heads or we'll have to do without prerendered portraits. Anyway, I'm happy to see you again here. Keep up the good job.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 07:05:29 PM »

of course I hated the gift box at first!  But then it grew on me.  I think it would be perfect if it could be "aged" 20 years, like stains, a small tear in the wrapping, a dented corner.

I like the other images.  The pot I envisioned as beeing much bigger, like an army soup pot.  They have to make a whole bunch of "beer"!

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
JustinOperable
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 07:11:50 PM »

Good to get feedback. Got another image for you:

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l375/JustinOperable/yam.png

Shevegen- Zenbitz did look at it, we talked it over and he liked the irony of it being a wrapped gift but wanted me to scuff it up, put stains and rips in the paper. I wanted to give everyone a chance to see it before I went ahead and implemented those changes.

As for the npc. yes different artists have different styles but thats why this project sorta needs an art director, and styles have to be figured out. From previous concept art and the feel of the game, I thought a more painterly approach would compliment the game. As for levels of skill, I'm sure at this stage of development, there wont be many people turned away but it doesnt make much sense to me to limit the quality of the art in the demo so it doesnt discourage people from contributing. It's kinda like saying lets not have good art so we can have more lower quality work. I strongly think that the nicer the art the more artists will want to contribute. Having a portrait included in Wesnoth means your work is considered on par with the quality of the other work, doing a portrait for a new game isn't as motivating in that way if you know what I mean.

Zenbitz- I'll see what I can do with the pot. It could just be in scale to all the other items so it's sort of cauldrony. I tried to make it look pretty roughly crafted.

Sirren- Yea I'm planning on doing whatever work I can to prettify the techdemo. I'll finish up the item images for the techdemo and they can be used until someone gets around to replacing them. As for portraits, I think I'll finish this one up and it can be used for the drunkard or the crazy guy. And from there I can do whatever portraits you don't get around to modeling. Basically I am looking to paint whatever needs to be painted to help the techdemo be as shiny as possible. So feel free to let me paint stuff for use in the demo if it frees you up to model things that can't be painted. That being said,I'm just here for maximum impact so don't let me step on anyones toes.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 07:43:50 PM »

No need to worry about other people's toes  Cheesy
I like the yam image too, by the way.
JustinOperable
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 08:05:22 PM »

a tater, let me know what people think. Just gotta do the graind and Beer Quest will have all it's first drafts done.

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l375/JustinOperable/Potato.png
JustinOperable
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 04:19:16 PM »

more stuff:

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l375/JustinOperable/IntsantTaters.png
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l375/JustinOperable/MeatHook.png
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »

That meat hook looks so vicious ... literally someone must have cleaned the blood away from it

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 11:54:10 PM »

Good going JustinOperable !

I'm back online again, I guess, and I've got some free time again. So as I saw this thread here I thought I'd share a portrait that I'm working on.

I'm finally familiarizing myself with the digital medium, hooray, although it's taking time as I can work on stuff like this only during night hours. Aand off to sleep now, sszsszzszzz

EDIT: couldn't sleep so worked on it some more, also changed from conventional goggles to makeshift ones...

* hatman2.jpg (90.8 KB, 499x750 - viewed 636 times.)

* hatman.jpg (86.72 KB, 500x750 - viewed 588 times.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:06:19 AM by Gaspard » Logged
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 02:29:18 AM »

Pretty cool. I am wondering which use we could have for him... i guess for now we could use him in the techdemo without a problem, what about lateron for the "real game"?

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 10:05:03 AM »

Are there going to be character portraits for NPCs too, in-game ?
Like in dialogue mode, bartering/trading etc. And if then are they going to be modeled or painted ? I'm worthless at 3D, but I also think painting them would be easier...

'Cause when we've got specific characters I could do some higher quality portraits too, in time of course.

This one, I thought, could be used in the tech-demo  Roll Eyes

Any pointers ? Or any requests ? in terms of contrast, colour choice, etc, something new altogether.. ?

* hatman.jpg (110.77 KB, 500x750 - viewed 604 times.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 10:06:57 AM by Gaspard » Logged
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 11:10:19 AM »

post-apoc people tend to like colourful pieces of string and buttons. be sure to hoard for tradin'

mmm. got to make bigger shapes look more clear for it to work as a smaller image

* buttonman.jpg (114.32 KB, 542x750 - viewed 606 times.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:25:10 AM by Gaspard » Logged
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 11:20:55 AM »

Wow, that's quite impressive :-) I really dig both portraits; are they meant to represent specific characters of the techdemo? If not we could either simply use them for the character that fits best or we create new techdemo characters for these portraits.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 11:24:04 AM »

No these are just for fun really.
I played some good old Fallout yesterday and then started drawing.

I'll go over the docs tonight and join you guys on IRC, perhaps I could start working on the necessary characters then  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to: