Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Walls!  (Read 3613 times)
superfluid
Community member

Just another Python Hacker

View Profile Email
« on: September 29, 2009, 07:37:06 AM »

Hey, I wrote a simple script to take isogen-generated tiles and export FIFE xml object files for them. THis is the result, it's quite ugly but you can at least start imagining what it could look like. At the moment the map editing is the most painful part of the process since each save clobbers important parpg-specific attributes in the XML map file. Prock++ is totally awesome and created a FIFE ticket to address this issue.

Anyways, as it turns isogen is okay... but turns out to be a little bit inflexible on some things (like wall thickness and height, etc) but it's just a single source file so it might be hackable. The idea of rendering an opengl object to create a tile is a pretty cool and I bet could be done w/ python/sdl/opengl.

This also doesn't include any smart transparency of walls as they occlude the player character, but since Prock has added transparency to FIFE, it's just a matter of figuring out how this logic should work.

More updates as events warrant  Cool
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 07:39:32 AM by superfluid » Logged

aka or1andov on IRC
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 09:41:50 AM »

It starts getting in shape  Grin
Keep it up mate!
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 06:48:11 PM »

Looks nice

I do however feel a little dumb... I reread your post and I do have a question

The script converts tiles into FIFE xml object files? What can be done after this?

I feel a bit disconnected from understanding

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 11:35:59 PM »

Superfluid, how are roof tiles going to be handled?
Apart from this, is isogen bound to preset textures/materials or can it be customized? Just giving that wall a prerendered texture would have it look tons better..
superfluid
Community member

Just another Python Hacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 03:26:04 AM »

Looks nice

I do however feel a little dumb... I reread your post and I do have a question

The script converts tiles into FIFE xml object files? What can be done after this?

I feel a bit disconnected from understanding

Isogen generates an xml file and a large image that contains all of the smaller individual tiles. The script I wrote just parses the isogen xml file and grabs the image coordiantes and crops the tiles out of the large image and generates the FIFE object xml.

Superfluid, how are roof tiles going to be handled?
Apart from this, is isogen bound to preset textures/materials or can it be customized? Just giving that wall a prerendered texture would have it look tons better..

Roof tiles... I don't really know yet Roll Eyes At this point I'm just fooling around and seeing what I like or dislike. Worst case we could just have a flat roof layer over the walls.

You can definately specify your own images. I just used a GPL brick image (http://opengameart.org/content/brick-texture). Isogen takes an input configuration file that where you can specify wall and floor textures and any overlays you may want (like graffiti, burn marks, whatever).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 03:30:05 AM by superfluid » Logged

aka or1andov on IRC
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:29:26 AM »

Thanks Superfluid.
A simple flat roof layer would do.. You programmers should find a way to have the whole roof turn clear when the PC is under it though.
The .XML generation and overlays will come super handy. If I remember correctly somebody suggested this app could be used for floor tiles. Anybody tinkering with it?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: