Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Public relations: the next level - attracting a bigger audience  (Read 17713 times)
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: October 06, 2009, 06:48:52 PM »

I would like to know your opinion if we should try to attract some more followers by trying to get some additional exposure at some websites. I'm asking as one of the admins of NoMutantsAllowed (the biggest old school Fallout fan site) asked me about covering PARPG in their news section in February / March but that was way to early back then.

Now I feel that we're making progress towards our first release so maybe it's time to word a little article, select the best screenshots, renders and concept art pieces and send them in at NMA and prolly RPGcodex, hoping that they feature it in their news section. This could help to attract additional followers ALTHOUGH you have to keep in mind that you usually reach players but not many developers this way. That's why I would like to hear your opinion on the topic before going forward and prolly causing more harm than good due increased public exposure. What do you think. If you like the idea, I'll put something together over the course of the next 3 days and try to get coverage at these two sites over the weekend.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 07:06:00 PM by mvBarracuda » Logged
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 07:11:01 PM »

I definitely think that PARPG should be advertized heavily. From the looks of it - at least as far as I can judge it - PARPG seems to be moving forward, even if the pace is not very fast. But that is still a lot better than other projects, where I saw a pattern like this:
- some code
wait...wait... not much happens
wait ... wait... a bit more code... a bit bickering on the forum, but even this dies down slowly
wait ... wait...

And after a few years people suddenly realize that the project died years ago already.

I think the best way to sustain interest in a project is to let people know about it. These people could actually help a bit and point news updates, resources, web pages, irc channels etc... to other people as well. Even if they have no time and can't help, perhaps they check back at a later time, and I think this all helps sustain a project slightly.

Just look at the folks some months ago, many are not active anymore, some however are sometimes active, and who knows - perhaps some of the inactive ones will become active again. An influx of new people should happen, just to keep a project alive and progressing.

What I personally would like to see included in the specific example you gave (the admin of NoMutantsAllowed) is that PARPG is in need of artists. Perhaps one of the guys that visits that webpage knows of some artist who would not mind to do a portrait or a scene or something on a weekend. If it is somewhat ok it can be put on the gallery, and I like the gallery. You even see the different "style" of people on the gallery (here is a quick link to the gallery any guest reading this thread ->  http://wiki.parpg.net/Gallery )

I wouldn't mind seeing the gallery increase! By the way, did anyone talk to the blender folks? If not I could try that. Perhaps there are nice modellers who have some buildings or something ... assisting with advertizing would be easier for me than learning python right now, 6 years of ruby has spoiled my mind quite a lot  ;-)

Anyway, last but not least, you wrote:
you have to keep in mind that you usually reach players but not many developers this way
I think this is no big drawback. The more people at least have heard about it the better. If 1 out of 100 comes back at a later time and checks out how far the game has progressed, they might even stick. Wesnoth started smaller too. Smiley

That's why I would like to hear your opinion on the topic before going forward and prolly causing more harm than good due increased public exposure.
Personally I think the worst thing that can happen to a game project like PARPG would be total inactivity. Too much activity is a lot better than inactivity (or percieved inactivity).
Projects should move forward whenever possible, and I think it does not hurt to increase a little bit on the advertisement activity on PARPG right now.

So for summary, my point is go for it, and perhaps we might find a few more artists to assist poor Sirren in some way or the other  :-)

PS: Ok, I think I try to be proactive... if you dont mind barra (or anyone else), then I go and actively try to talk to blender folks and CGI-talk people. I think both these sites have quite some active AND good guys... perhaps some are even interested. But I dont want to do this if anyone else feels this would be detrimental somehow, after all an increased exposure may have a slight drawback if people would suddenly become less active, so ... but from what I see, I do think that we are far from being inactive.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 07:14:23 PM by shevegen » Logged

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
superfluid
Community member

Just another Python Hacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:25:35 PM »

I think we should totally be spreading the word about PARG. IMO we're in a great position, as it's rare to see an open source game project that isn't vapourware, that has a solid foundation of code, and has small but healthy community of planners/developers/artists/musicians. We're also fairly transparent, so anyone that wants to can grab an SVN checkout and try it out. If I were a stranger, that would totally appeal to me.

aka or1andov on IRC
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 09:30:48 PM »

It'll be way easier to spread the word once we can get a teaser video online. Smiley  I think we should spread the word, though.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:46:16 PM »

Great proposal Dave :-) Do we have anyone on the team who has a hand for creating such kind of promotion clips?
superfluid
Community member

Just another Python Hacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 09:55:29 PM »

I can just see it now...

IN A WORLD WHERE THE BEER HAS RUN OUT AND ITEMS NEED DELIVERING, A LONE TRAVELLER MAKES A STAND AGAINST ALL ODDS.
WELCOME TO THE POST-APOCALYPSE
* superfluid  will not quit his day job Wink
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 10:01:13 PM by superfluid » Logged

aka or1andov on IRC
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 12:25:11 AM »

It'll be way easier to spread the word once we can get a teaser video online. Smiley  I think we should spread the word, though.
A PARPG channel on YouTube sounds like a great idea for somebody who wants to keep up with it. What about a Twitter account? We should try to take as much advantage of social networking as possible.

Let's fight some ballerinas.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 12:55:50 AM »

I like the idea of a teaser video. We should wait for techdemo1, though: I know that Fife and our current demo exist becouse a ton of coding work, but that's not stuff you can show. We'd need at least to implement objects. I mean, stuff you can move in the inventory and maybe trade for..
I'm all for visibility anyway, even if we're only attracting players. Beta/play testing anyone?  Grin
Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 04:38:47 AM »

At the tech demo, we can totally get a video put together. Smiley

I agree that a twitter account would be a good thing.  There are WordPress plugins that can auto-post to Twitter, so people could follow it and know there's new blogs, but also it could be used to spread the word for what we need.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 08:35:07 AM »

What I personally would like to see included in the specific example you gave (the admin of NoMutantsAllowed) is that PARPG is in need of artists. Perhaps one of the guys that visits that webpage knows of some artist who would not mind to do a portrait or a scene or something on a weekend. If it is somewhat ok it can be put on the gallery, and I like the gallery. You even see the different "style" of people on the gallery (here is a quick link to the gallery any guest reading this thread ->  http://wiki.parpg.net/Gallery )
Yep good point shevegen, I'll include the call for more artists in the press release I'm preparing.

By the way, did anyone talk to the blender folks? If not I could try that. Perhaps there are nice modellers who have some buildings or something ... assisting with advertizing would be easier for me than learning python right now, 6 years of ruby has spoiled my mind quite a lot  ;-)
If you would like to help spread the word about PARPG, let's have a meeting at the IRC channel and we can discuss the details there. I would really appreciate help in this field so let's get it on.

PS: Ok, I think I try to be proactive... if you dont mind barra (or anyone else), then I go and actively try to talk to blender folks and CGI-talk people. I think both these sites have quite some active AND good guys... perhaps some are even interested. But I dont want to do this if anyone else feels this would be detrimental somehow, after all an increased exposure may have a slight drawback if people would suddenly become less active, so ... but from what I see, I do think that we are far from being inactive.
Nah go ahead shevegen! I've posted at polycount.net, blenderartists.org and blendpolis.de in the past but not with much success. Might be worth reposting there nevertheless, they usually don't allow bumping your own thread so I'll simple repost an updated version of my initial thread.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 10:53:25 AM »

I've put together a promo kit that contains selected pieces of animations, concept art, renders and screenshots. The kit is meant to be used by everyone who would like to spread the word about PARPG. I hope the artists don't mind that I added a note to the license paragraph of the readme that states that it's sufficent to attribute the project as a whole if the material is used for promo purposes. This way websites reporting about PARPG don't have to attribute the author of each shown asset but just link to our website once. If the material is used for other purposes, the normal attribution clause (attributing the individual author) applies; the authors of each piece are listed in the readme file. Are you okay with this approach or would you prefer individual attribution even if the material is used for promotional purposes?

You can grab the first promo kit here:
http://files.parpg.net/PARPG_promo_kit_October_2009.zip

I'm planning to update the kit at least 3-4 times per year to include newer content. I'll include a link to the promo kit to the website's I'll be mailing about news coverage so they can choose what material to show themselves. If everything goes well I can send out the press releases to NMA and RPGcodex tomorrow so we'll hopefully get covered over the course of the weekend or early next week.
Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 02:26:18 PM »

It's too bad animated images aren't supported in PDF files, (there are workarounds, but every one I've found requires an actual Adobe product) then we could have a single document that wouldn't require unzipping.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 02:44:56 PM »

Yes and no. The main purpose of the promo kit is to offer assets that can be used by 3rd party websites. So it's rather an advantage that all the assets are there as single resources. You would have to extract all the files again if you pack them into a PDF somehow.
Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 04:25:57 PM »

That makes more sense.  Perhaps something along the lines of a digital flyer would be a good idea.  Something that could be displayed whenever you ask for help on other boards.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 06:33:09 PM »

Ahh, something like a banner that you can put in your user signature at different forums?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: