Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Starting" Quest  (Read 4920 times)
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« on: September 28, 2009, 02:40:53 PM »

I got this idea on the way to work, today, after the radio host talked about how, as a kid, her dad asked her to kill a rat with a shovel while he lifted up a dog house.

So, you know how EVERY RPG has the traditional "kill a room full of rats" as a starting quest?  I say we do it, too (a room full of rats would wreak havoc on a community's food supply, so it's explainable), and have it offered in the first city you're in.  But, in our quest for hyper-realism, we should make clearing out the room CRAZY HARD, and possibly only completable by more experienced characters.

Seriously, how hard is it to shoot a rat?  How about whack a room full of rats with a shovel?  Rat traps (found later in game) could only help so much.

Because of how menial the quest is, and how much people will want to avoid it if it's optional, it should have a really awesome reward, so it will go against the RPG norm in a major way.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 10:52:27 AM »

Rat quest sounds like a nice Fallout reference; remember the rats in the cave outside the starting vault of Fallout 1. For now I propose to flesh out the beer brewing and fedex quest though as we've agreed to use these two in the first techdemo of PARPG that is scheduled for the end of the year. The threads for these quests can be found here at the writing board:
http://forums.parpg.net/index.php?topic=459.0
http://forums.parpg.net/index.php?topic=458.0
Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 05:07:15 PM »

Oh, I totally agree, I just wanted to get this out there before I forgot about it.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 03:26:14 AM »

We could add this for a 3. quest perhaps

would probably need two images for a rat, and a dead rat

It seems a bit too easy though, i think it needs a little bit more plot ... something involving talking to NPCs

I mean I think we are starving for models and images mostly, we seem to have a ratio of 4 programmers for 1 artist so the bottleneck is finding graphical dudes i think... or audio guys Wink

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 04:57:41 AM »

I wonder if rat quests are usually added as the first "Hey look, we have a combat system" demo.

I'm all for adding it, but I don't want it to be easily finished (and I think Zenbitz might agree with me).

For the first combat quest, I'd say have a bar brawl or something.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 05:32:35 PM »

I think the parpg world, finding a room full of rats would be like a gift from the gods!  Rats have a lot of meat!

As for first combat... you mean like a combat demo, or in the game?   Maybe the first "mandatory" encounter could be a couple of dogs/wolves, out in the wilderness.   You can kill them, tame them, or scare them away.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: