Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Oracle - Music sample  (Read 7446 times)
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: September 06, 2009, 08:39:36 PM »

Pretty much just playing around with my sequencer upgrade. The title is only tentative; I thought it was the only thing that seemed to fit. Of course, it doesn't need to tie in with the story, nor does the title need to stick. Just gives a bit of an idea of what the track could sound like. Now, my one concern with further development of this track (it is incomplete) is whether or not I should continue with the choice of percussion and bass provided. Does either one, or both, tend to take away from the atmosphere that's created earlier on? Or should I push forward for further development with the percussion and the bass? In that event, would a track of about 5 minutes long be too long? Or should I just keep going until I find a proper, loop-able spot?

EDIT: I've replaced the URL. So if you've heard the first version, you could consider downloading the updated one. It's about 3 minutes longer.

MP3 Download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/qg7iap

2nd EDIT: OGG Download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ot4tii
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:07:42 PM by meinmartini » Logged

Let's fight some ballerinas.
superfluid
Community member

Just another Python Hacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 07:51:36 PM »

* superfluid likes

(Warning: I'm not a musician Smiley)

Great ambient track. Sounds lonely.... the percussion sounds good too I thought, somewhat "Icy" sounding. I'm not a big fan of endlessly looping tracks so the less repetative it is, IMO, the better. Just my $0.02

aka or1andov on IRC
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 09:09:38 PM »

Sorry, I was missing this.. I found it through the IRC logs.
I do agree with Superfluid: it fits and it feels icy and lonely. I'm not a fan of loops either. The game tunes I liked the most weren't loops.
I don't know about those kind of "bells", but I'm definitely not a musician. You're the composer, if you feel your music works that way then go for it.
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 09:12:49 PM »

Okay, so I think I'll probably change it up somewhere around the point where the track leads off.

EDIT: Updated the track. http://www.sendspace.com/file/qg7iap (same link as above if you've already clicked on it).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 04:50:33 AM by meinmartini » Logged

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 01:24:58 PM »

I really dig it meinmartini :-) Great work. If you don't mind, I'll convert it to ogg and it to our SVN repository. Do you have a PCM WAV version of it? I would like to use the lossless version to create a flac version for storage purposes as well as a ogg vorbis version to be played ingame.
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 04:20:20 PM »

Barra, I have the software to do the conversion, so don't worry about that. What's the maximum file size you'd like for OGG?

EDIT - OGG download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ot4tii
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:08:02 PM by meinmartini » Logged

qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 08:09:18 PM »

I would recommend quality 7 (you have 'quality' settings in ogg vorbis)

the track is nice, though feels a bit too light and monotone.
Suzi
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 07:34:35 PM »

Pretty awesome. I disagree with you border, it has to feel light otherwise those ambiance soundtracks get annoying pretty fast and when you play the game you get bored the heck out of it. Best example are modern games where they use the same orchestrial music everytime a combat starts (yes, i hate this too). It shouldnt feel monotone , thats true.

Only sound i dislike in this track is the "vrooom" "vrooooom" - sound, no idea how its called. Hearing it too often causes boredom, i`d advise you to remove it but of course the final decision is yours martini.
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 10:46:27 PM »

What "vroom" sound?

monkeyface
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 11:42:53 AM »

Nice, kind of reminds me of this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjH5N3cPvIA
Suzi
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 03:06:21 PM »

The "vrooom" (orcacle.ogg) sound starts from 2:19, can be found at 2:27; 2:35; 2:42.
and continues throughout. As already said i`m not a big fan of that particiular sound.
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 04:03:02 PM »

Ah, that's the bass. Some pitches it has a stronger vibration than others. I don't know how it sounds in the OGG output since I haven't listened to it yet, but there could be some distortion from the conversion.

Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 06:19:20 PM »

I finally got around to listening to this, and I must say, I'm really excited by it.  To be honest, I like it a lot more than the previous track (it's easier to listen to, and your samples are A LOT better).

I'm not big on the bass... Probably because of the previously mentioned "woosh" sound... it dates the piece into a weird 80s sci-fi track, especially when mixed with the higher drones. No offense intended, for sure, that's just how it feels to me.

I think adding something with a bit of grit --distortion, bitcrushing, or overdrive--, or adding the effects to one of the existing tracks (perhaps the bass-synth?) might help it blend in with the feel of PARPG. Again, just my opinion.

I like the percussion, both melodic and rhythmic, though. Smiley
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 03:59:23 AM »

In all seriousness, that was the only bass sound that I could find to match the sound that I wanted: growing and receding dynamics. Of course, I could have achieved that by using cello and double bass instruments, but I didn't want to score for those.

Try it in-game and see if it fits (within the proper environment). If it sounds completely and totally out of whack, I'll try a more "traditional" synth for the bass.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: