Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: WIP - HUD and the GUIs, feedback needed !  (Read 54133 times)
Border
Community member

silicium_Vitae@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« on: August 18, 2009, 04:31:20 AM »

Ok so as i say before my vacation. i will try to tackle the HUD and maybe some menu.
So here some scribble of my idea from the info i found on the Wiki. I admit its still very inintelligible but i'll work it out. Cheesy

The start my friend, very fallout-ish ATM but its personnality will become has i sculpt it.
So basic stuff, text box for game info. Character info, weapon use and too much empty space to fill.
I will add the AP,AC,temp and such as with inventory access.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 08:43:30 PM by Gaspard » Logged
Border
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 03:38:52 AM »

Update. ugly but update still...
i'm really not convince myself but its more to force my brain to work that anything else.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »

I think it's a good start Border :-) Game GUIs usually went through several iterations before a game gets finally released and obviously you need to start designing a GUI at some point, simply to have a starting point for future iterations and to receive feedback. Good work.
monkeyface
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 07:37:39 PM »

Yes, looking good. I'll try to give some more insightful comments soon, as well as my own ideas perhaps.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:21:56 PM »

It turned out at IRC that shevegen thought that "HUD" would be the name of the starting location of PARPG. That's why he commented on the map design instead of the heads up display.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »

Edit: I removed the earlier message and started another thread here http://forums.parpg.net/index.php?topic=421.0 as it did not fit to the HUD thread here.

Now for the HUD, I do have some questions or want to point at a few things:

- How or where can the player access skills?
- What is the bar to the very left with the 85 green bar?
- How should buttons be viewed? Right now some buttons have different size (i.e. the menu button opens another menu, where the buttons each have a different width, at least for that menu I think the same width would be better)

Possibly for later:
- Will we see coldness effects, and will the player see it? Like frozen toes or hands. For example, in Fallout, i think you could see radiation damage partially (i am not sure now, but i think that sixth toe on one feet could be seen at any time... hmm or do i misremember now)

Also, the interface feels as if it could easily fit to any other RPG. Could we, or do we want, to add something more akin to PARPG setting?
Perhaps some small icon.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 11:18:51 PM by shevegen » Logged

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Border
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 03:07:28 AM »

- How or where can the player access skills?
i will need to add a character button. Where? i dunno yet Cheesy maybe close to the portrait. Maybe by clicking the portrait? might save space
- What is the bar to the very left with the 85 green bar?
Health bar. Right now there only one picture but since i remember there suppose to be party i thought it migh be interesting to have all your party health visible a la Fallout Tactic.

- How should buttons be viewed? Right now some buttons have different size (i.e. the menu button opens another menu, where the buttons each have a different width, at least for that menu I think the same width would be better)
you're absolutely right. I was just lazy when i came to this and don't forget the VERY-WIP status for the HUD. Right now its closer to a brainstorm then and usable HUD Cheesy

Will we see coldness effects,
I guess this could be seen with the Thermometer ( the red/blue bar) Or by the character menu.
http://wiki.parpg.net/Image:Eleazzaar_invgui_idea.jpg
But you could see a snowflake icon over the member tht suffer from frostbite. plus the minus of agility or whatever happen when you get your toes frosted. Move slower? or with frosted  finger you lose some dexterity... like in reality. Wink

Thanks for your input.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 07:21:37 PM »

I have to admit.... it did not occur to me that the health system that I have been working on http://wiki.parpg.net/Zenbitz:Thoughts_on_wounding does not lend itself well to a compact graphical depiction of a characters' "health". 

What do people think about a small "humanoid" icon (maybe somewhere in size between the compass and "green robot guy" in your HUD mockup) where you could deliniate arms/legs/head/chest/abdomen.  Maybe upper & lower arms/legs.  The body parts would change color as they got wounded (green-yellow-red + black for "gone").  (Technically, the working model has about 35 hit locations, but this is mostly for customizing your armor to look cool, there is not much difference in effect from "wounded in left forarm" and "wounded in left elbow".  That model is here: http://wiki.parpg.net/Proposals:Encumbrance_Armor_Clothes if you are wondering)

Actually, this is apparently the next area I need to work on - health and damage from combat, etc.  I needed to draft out the stats and stuff first but that's done.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Border
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 07:50:57 PM »

a small humanoid like in Deus Ex? it might do the trick
Top left corner
Border
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 04:37:32 AM »

New try. Not much difference on the disposition. i start with a 3d rendered frame.

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 12:04:21 PM »

I like it, but I think the various colours of bars and text and everything could be less saturated, like the green health bar, cyan text and the red-to-blue temp(?) bar - they catch too much attention.
I think the HUD should provide info and look interesting (which it does right now  Grin), but also not distract from the game window. As we have lotsa snow, then white text on some dark gray maybe, health bar less saturated and the temp one doesn't have to have so much colour, maybe just a tonal differentiation of a cool (almost blue) gray.
Perhaps you could even complement the whole thing with some bronze frames, like around the weapon icon and buttons and the screen, as the whole thing is very green-gray already.

Good work so far
Border
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 02:21:08 PM »

but also not distract from the game window.
its pretty hard to be distact right now since there nothing interesting in the game window ATM. Smiley
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 02:48:18 PM »

I know I know, but still  Wink
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 07:10:39 PM »

What about a possibility for weather effects - a small circle with either sunshine or a small cloud with snow and so on... if mouse hovers over it, the player would get info about the temperature, i.e. if the condition is very harsh right now or not

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 10:22:08 PM »

Here, hope you don't mind. I toned most of the colours down, rearranged some of the things for a better composition (?) and mainly the feedback window to a more central position, as the portrait is not of the greatest importance.

I guess you can see the note to add a means to scroll the feedback window Tongue

EDIT:

The weather info would be nice and useful, btw, yeah.

A Deus-Ex-y 'humanoid' icon looks pretty decent, there you could also show a numerical overall health % that just roughly adds up all the damage the character has endured to all and any body parts and subtracts it from 100%
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 10:45:19 PM by Gaspard » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to: