Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: (already existing) Post-apocalyptic music  (Read 5470 times)
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: February 28, 2009, 12:08:23 PM »

I once posted to a mini blog which lists free (even for commercial use) post-apocalyptic music.

Take a hear! I find following especially relevant for a post-apocalyptic game soundtrack:

http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/5324
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 02:15:15 PM by qubodup » Logged
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 12:53:59 PM »

Nice finds Qubodup!

Just listened to the first track of the first album and I really like it. Reminds me of Fallout.
tie
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 08:56:34 AM »

It occured to me today that Nirvana would make a good musical theme. It is definitely bleak and nihilistic enough Smiley
Halfbrood
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 11:43:21 PM »

Nirvana is far too nihilistic, even for PARPG...

Just chiming in my own thoughts on the music, I'm echoing mvBarracuda here, at least for the first 30 seconds or so (in the first piece), this style really fits well with how I envision the setting in my own mind. Silent, with a slight creepy uncertainty about it.
Lamoot
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 08:31:22 AM »

I guess this is the general audio thread, so I'll just post here.

At my wiki page I collected my personal ideas/preferences of what could be the audio direction to take. All of the tracks listed there are not free, but hopefully they can be used for inspiration for interested audio contributors.

Anyway, http://wiki.parpg.net/User:Lamoot#Musicz_I_likez_section

Most of the tracks from Earth 2150 seem really fitting, since the game had a rather similar setting, where a nuclear war took Earth out of its regular orbit. So you have a currently frozen Earth (that was about to get really really hot in a few months) and 3 factions trying to escape the planet.

Feedback appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 08:42:47 AM by Lamoot » Logged
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 10:00:05 PM »

I've been listening to the FO, BioShock, all the Silent Hiils, and Diablo soundtracks like crazy, plus all the music from Fan Based Fallout... I'll try to have a few basic ideas together in the next couple of weeks (I'd say "this weekend," but it's my 4th anniversary, and my wife might kill me if I spend the weekend in front of a computer.)

Once we get a few submitted tracks, I'd suggest we build something like this:
http://www.fanmadefallout.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1637

At the top, we'll need an expanding list of the maps, with an explanation of what it is, with suggestions on how it should sound.  After that, I really like the half finished songs, especially the "what needs to be changed" part of it.

Truth be told, I don't know how far I (or any other composer) can really get, beyond basic ambiance, without maps or a story to work with. But it will be nice to have something to throw behind the first demo map.
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 05:07:41 AM »

Is there a minimum / maximum length or file size we need to stay within to work in FIFE?

For the sake of looping, since we're doing ambient pieces, I'm prone to run long (8 minutes), but I could easily cut down to shorter pieces.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 08:56:24 AM »

Well, Fife uses Ogg Vorbis so that means that the audio file size should be (very very roughly) about 1 meg a minute, so an 8 minute piece doesn't sound too ludicrous.

Science is open-source religion
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 04:26:31 PM »

As maximinus said: Ogg delivers slightly better quality than mp3 when encoded with a recent Lame version. Therefore you don't really need to worry about filesize. Sound quality should be great with a bitrate between 160 - 224kb/s
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: