Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: 1 turn = 1 sec? I see real character growth issues here...  (Read 18201 times)
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 06:16:31 PM »

Then again, this goes even deeper. Why should stats be constant?
When you start with strength 7, it`s not realistically when it stays constant
if you don`t do physical training at all or when you do physicial training
it actually gets higher. The question is: How close to reality do we want
our RPG?

This point I didn't get to, but goes along with skills degrading.  I agree that this seems more realistic, but for (whatever reason) it seems to cross the line of playability.    Either you are going to "surprise" a player when he realizes his skills/stats are degrading, or they are just going to go out of their way to spend some 10% or whatever of their time on maintenance.  Maintenance is boring, as we should just assume that it goes on in the back ground.  Like going to the bathroom.  The exception is stuff where there is an interesting "trade" for the player to make.  For example, characters should sleep for 6-8 hours/day BUT there may be cases where they are on the run or doing some other desperate or dodgy maneuver and need to skip sleep for a couple of days. 

The game is going to be hard enough without players having to worry about their skills/stats degrading.   We can just assume that some amount of time of the day is spent doing this stuff behind the scenes.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2009, 06:29:09 PM »

To point c)
Maybe i should use better examples to put more sense into it.
Or at least let me try, probably not the best examples.
Fallout: A sniper requires high perception and a high "small guns" skill
Now the question is how can somebody with low perception even become
such a good master of the "small guns" skill?
Or
Fallout: The "Barter" and sometimes "Speech" skill requires charisma,
now how can you become a good barter with low charisma, how can you
convince people with speeches if you lack charisma? My idea is
stats not only define skill starter points but also a skill MAXimum
depending on stats.

Well, the way GURPS (and some other systems, I think) work is that when you "buy" (or gain) a skill, it has a base value depending on your stats.   The "cost" (or difficulty) to improve it INCREASES relative to that baseline.  So, in your second example:

Barter base = Charisma/4 + Reason/4 + Perception/8 + Willpower/8.  (just as an example, this might be too high or low).  So if you had 50s (average) in all 4 stats you would have a starting skill of 37.5.  Maybe if you "buy" the skill it will go to 150% of this (56.25)

Now as you use your skill (fail or not), it has a chance of increasing, but the chance of increase is based on how high it is (higher the skill, lower the chance of an increase).  The *amount* of increase (or even the numbers) could be based on the "skill base" (default) which is dependent on your stats.

I won`t edit your work except it is by adding missing stuff in text-form.
My critism is just when i take the role of the programmer and see such entrys
i´d maybe know what is desired but whats lacking is a strict direction with
strict solutions, basically a "how to make it and convert it into a game".

Well, they are not even "Drafts" (i.e., set in stone) let alone made into strict specifications.  There are too many areas for me to make them all into specs and the programmers aren't ready yet (or if they are, they need to tell me what they need spec'd out)

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2009, 07:01:54 PM »

Although it is not related, I would like to add that I am much happier replying or writing on a forum, and I kinda feel less motivated to do so on the wiki. The forum seems to be an easier environment for getting input, output, discussion than the wiki.

The wiki sections already in large part seem to be set-in-stone without much room for discussion - at least that was my impression so far and the easier solution was to avoid topics that appear to be finalized already (since there seems to be not much room for change left). But then again my impression could have been wrong, and if in doubt visible progress will always beat skeptical (but empty) "input". Wink

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 09:32:43 PM »

I think that's fine... as long as people take the time to READ the wiki, and cut-and-paste areas they wish to talk about on the forums.
And not here in some unrelated thread.  I think most of the "proposals" i have written have their very own forum topic to comment in.

Perhaps I should link to them in the wiki pages?

briantomhson
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 08:29:55 PM »

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.

blog ?

oh and zenbitz - linking to forum threads at the wiki should be a must-have. some forum topics get washed away in time, and when the topic becomes more important again it's a hassle digging the good old thread up and usually new ones are started instead, cluttering the forum even more
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:31:47 PM by Gaspard » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to: