Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: [License] Art/assets/media license: GPLv3, BY-SA 3.0 or compatible  (Read 25220 times)
dawith
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2009, 02:24:01 PM »

I'll post a flac version of songs on assets repository under WTFPL, and than you can do whatever the fuck you want to do with it, it's not my problem anymore xD. I am careless if I get credits or not, if my work gets relicensed or not... I'll give my music to PARPG as a gift, than you, PARPGers, can do with that gift whatever you want.
 Maxy: I believe ingame music will be ogg vorbis, but I'll post mine on the repository as flac.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 02:13:07 AM by dawith » Logged
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2009, 04:12:42 PM »

Cool  Smiley

Whatever format it ends up in, by starting in Flac at least we have the possibility of high quality sounds.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:33:33 PM by Gaspard » Logged

Science is open-source religion
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2010, 02:13:36 PM »

To make things easier for artists, I want to change the license requirement for art to be either GPL3 or BYSA3 or both or under a license that allows re-licensing under either of these. This makes it less simple but allows to use more external resources while remaining free/open source.

This is just a formality, since it appears that the choice has already been made unofficially that ccbysa3 can be used. Allowing gpl3 in addition makes it just more easy.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:18:32 PM by qubodup » Logged
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 05:20:49 PM »

EDITED:
GPL needs "source" to be available, which - in case of music or 3D work is not always easy to obtain. Some of contributors are not easy to catch, others won't give eg. their samples. All my assets here and elsewhere are under WTFPL, so anyone can relicense it as he/her wish, but thats me (and semolina too?).
Barra knows the licensing subject best.
My point of view is rather simple - do not change licensing of assets we already have, keep new things coming dual-licensed as they are now (or whatever - but just when we stick to a license - it should remain consistent)  and keep an eye if source files are given with artwork, cause we can eg. improve some things in 3D artwork later on.
2D graphics is simple in this case: PNG files we use are lossless. With time (getting contact with authors and asking for relicensing stuff or changing some artwork)  we may achieve consistent licensing.

Once again, shorter. For me - GPL or CC is just a matter of letters, I want my work to be as available, as possible. PARPG always gets lossless 2D graphics.
But sound artists and 3D designers may have other approach. For me .ogg is enough, but is lossless .flac GPL-compatible?
And, mostly with 3D work we may want to re-render (you know this one: http://parpg-trac.cvsdude.com/parpg/ticket/251 is a good case for "must re-render" state) some things, so we need all "source files" for 3D anyway.

Will we be in main branches of major Linux repos with CC licenses?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:24:10 PM by Q_x » Logged

qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »

ill we be in main branches of major Linux repos with CC licenses?
As long as the BY license and/or the BY-SA license (3.0 or later) is used, and NC/ND licenses are avoided yes. [abbr. explanation]
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 02:01:52 PM »

OK, thanks Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to: