Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: SVN structure changes proposal  (Read 6233 times)
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: August 08, 2009, 05:14:59 PM »

Heya dear programmers. I would like to propose some changes to the SVN structure.

Right now we got:
\trunk\media (all kinds of media, 3d models, textures, etc.)
\trunk\PARPG (the game itself)

I would like to rename \trunk\PARPG to \trunk\game as PARPG is the name of the whole project, so in this sense it's confusing to have another PARPG folder inside trunk. Furthermore I would like to move potential tools to \trunk\tools. Right now the writing editor resides in \trunk\PARPG\tools\Writing Editor.

Last but not least I would like to discuss some name convention details. Can we agree upon using just lower case letters and no spaces for directory names and files? We could use "_" as space character. Right now we got a mixed style, sometimes using upper case letters, sometimes either using " ", "-" or "_" as space character. We should rather agree upon one style approach and apply it consistently. What do you think.

Concerning my example:
\trunk\PARPG\tools\Writing Editor

would become:
\trunk\tools\writing_editor
Kaydeth
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 05:40:33 PM »

I agree. I hate upper case letters and spaces. Long live old school C formatting Smiley.

We should definitely make things consistent regardless of what format we choose.

Also separating tools code is a good idea. No chance of mistaking it for game code that way.
Bretzel13
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 07:19:34 PM »

Sounds good to me
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 07:42:05 PM »

Alrighty, I would like to get the feedback of 1-2 more programmers before touching anything in SVN but I'm glad that you two feel the same way about the proposal. I'll wikify the convention as soon as we got some more feedback. We might need a Subversion repository article at the wiki, something like the one at the FIFE wiki, describing structure and guidelines:
http://wiki.fifengine.de/Subversion_repository
Atomic
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 08:39:36 PM »

Even though I'm new here, I'll put in my 2 cents.

I agree with all above regarding the SVN structure.  I also agree with the directory and naming conventions, with the exception of leaving the standard README, LICENSE, etc. docs as all upper-case (which I'm guessing you were planning on anyhow).
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 08:47:53 PM »

Good point, README, LICENSE and files like AUTHORS should be exception to this rule.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 02:05:40 PM »

If nobody disagree until the weekend, I'll implement the proposed changes next Monday, 17th of August before I take care of the news update.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 12:48:04 PM »

Moved trunk/PARPG to trunk/game.

Please make sure to switch your SVN checkout URL:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/re27.html

TortoiseSVN:
Right mouse click on PARPG folder >> TortoiseSVN >> Switch... >> To URL: http://parpg-svn.cvsdude.com/parpg/trunk/game
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 06:15:45 PM by mvBarracuda » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: