Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: WIP (3D) - Steno's Buildings Dump.  (Read 23528 times)
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2009, 11:35:37 AM »

Hello everybody.
A couple of orientations won't be a problem, and my sprites cast a floor shadow by default.
This building has "solid" walls, so we could even try to slice this one. I'm not sure it will fit the game grid as is, a bit of trial and error will be mandatory.. Anyway, I'm still to tackle a couple of details and the main body texture. I'll post something ASAP.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2009, 01:09:21 PM »

Alrighty, no need to slice at this point, I think using invisible blockers should be easier.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2009, 01:43:34 PM »

Fine. Just keep in mind the sprite is huge, some 640x540 and 420 kb.
Anyway, it's almost done. Just a few more cracks and some bullet holes. This evening I'll tackle the interior.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2009, 03:11:56 PM »

BUMP!

This is the current state of my art..

If everybody agrees this is the techdemo1 sprite. Any comments?
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2009, 04:11:19 PM »

Very very cool. Do you still do all that with the XSI thing?
I don't have any complaints at all. Looks really great man.

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2009, 04:33:33 PM »

Yep. XSI for modelling/rendering, Gimp for texturing, XSI/Roadkill for UV unfolding (Roadkill for creatures mostly).
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2009, 05:53:52 PM »

Looks great to me Sirren :-) I'll add the building into SVN for testing purposes. You mentioned that you used 3rd party textures for it. Right now I'm rather concerned about that as the 3rd party textures don't seem to be compatible with our chosen license. We either have to retexture it before a release or change our asset license, at least partially.

E.g. we could generally try to provide all assets under CC 3.0 BY-SA but add notes to the LICENSE file of PARPG which assets are licensed in a different way due used 3rd party assets. This way we could ship the first release with these textures while encouraging the community to help provoding textures that would be compatible with our license. So we could make it a community effort to replace these textures with "free" alternatives later while not being forced to turn down the 3rd party textures at this point.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2009, 06:18:42 PM »

That model only contains cgtextures, well, textures for planks and tin foils. The rest is hand made or made with gimp filters. The whole problem for me is about quality and quantity of images I can find quickly. CG textures is a real jackpot. I think I could do with procedural textures, but that intails (possibly) spending money I don't have and definitely a lot more work..
As a side note I was thinking about the main mall building. We'll have to make a few slices anyway. I only have a pale idea of the end size, but i think we can think in the several thousands of pixels range. This is premature, but I think you should know it.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2009, 06:45:48 PM »

Just added your building to SVN. Looks like I was wrong about splitting up the building: right now we're facing clipping / z-ordering issues so I guess we'll need to split it up in the end as well.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2009, 07:12:42 PM »

awesomeness Smiley
if you're still thinking about working on it, then snow on the windowsills, even half-melted like on the roof, wouldn't be too illogical. Plus it would add a bit to it's feel
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2009, 08:20:31 PM »

That's a good idea. Actually that render has many flaws, including a composition one, ie the piping too close to the main wall crack.. The point was we needed something to test in game quickly. I'm fixing more stuff before the demo.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2009, 10:35:20 PM »

Please check out the latest SVN version of our map. I've played around a bit with invisible blockers and the x and y offset of the building and now clipping / z-ordering issues seem to be fixed. If this works out for all buildings, we could avoid splitting up buildings into slices :-)
Continuum
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2009, 11:59:42 AM »

Looking good Sirren. Although I'd pimp it with bump map, because that "cracks" are very unconvincing.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:11:10 PM by Continuum » Logged
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2009, 10:04:19 PM »

I like the cracks. Perhaps a tiny bit thinner, a little bit more snow, but really - I think this is by far the best building so far.

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2009, 10:27:50 PM »

I think Sirren deserves a little break after all the quality graphics that he created lately. We can always improve the building after the techdemo release but I think it looks good and we should ship it as it is. There are a bunch of other objects that haven't been modeled yet but are planned to be included in the techdemo so let's focus on them.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to: