Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: WIP (3D) - Steno's Buildings Dump.  (Read 41472 times)
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 01:09:08 PM »

That for sure is an odd-looking house, even in reallife Smiley

A question - was it decided upon which buildings still stand?
I am talking about something like the Eiffel tower in Paris or the Statue of Liberty in New York.

You know, buildings people can recognize easily even without having been there.

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 01:26:10 PM »

Does it matter if the game plays in Scandinavia anyway? We should rather think about which important Scandinavian buildinds were destroyed.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2009, 12:39:09 PM »

As I said this was an experiment. I thought "modular" modelling could be used to speed up stuff, but texturing turned out to be some 75% of the work. I learnt a lot about texturing, though.
AFAIK nothing has been decided yet about standing buildings and their style.
Border
Community member

silicium_Vitae@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2009, 03:30:48 AM »

yep, nothing is set in stone for the style. Personnally i would go with two things to decide that.
  • 1. Having the essential type of building. Medic, city hall, weapon dealer,Npc house etc etc as needed naturally
  • 2. Having diferent style per town.  Naturally different but still similar if they are soviet or swede... that might give some artistic latitude to the person doing it.
as always my 2 cent
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2009, 10:51:27 PM »

Quickie. It might be the home of the "Beer quest" farmer:
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2009, 11:19:37 PM »

Update:

Quick texturing, more dirt/damage/detail to be added..
superfluid
Community member

Just another Python Hacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2009, 03:52:45 AM »

Looking good, Sirren! I like how the roof looks so worn and rained out. Maybe it would be cool use a separate texture for the big part of the roof or scale it down a bit, it seems a bit stretched out. But otherwise great Smiley

aka or1andov on IRC
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2009, 10:47:29 AM »

I fully agree with you about the roof. I edited it, the textures is otherwise untouched.

Isometric render with correct lighting. This building is set to its end size, less or more. I'll do an open version with no roof to allow the PC to actually enter it.

Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2009, 10:54:15 AM »

Done:

I'm having big troubles in cutting this image into slices with Gimp. Any tips/tools to recommend?
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2009, 11:51:40 AM »

Looks nice to me Sirren :-) Good work.

Cutting the image in proper slices is a quite complicated topic. We could slice the building but as far as I can tell, you can't enter it directly from outside without loading an interior map of it. As we want to go for the Fallout building approach, we would rather need separate wall pieces that can be tiled together. Furthermore we would need a separated roof that can be rendered transparently when the player is near the building and can disappear when the player enters the building.

It really comes down if we think we can tackle buildings that consist of tileable walls and a separate roof into techdemo 1. It's certainly quite a lot of work to figure out all the details and to create a proper toolchain for the whole process. We could rather use "monolithic" buildings for techdemo 1 and switch to a Fallout buildings approach (wall pieces + roof) later. What do you think Sirren?
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2009, 12:23:05 PM »

I'd definitely go with the monolithic building approach for Techdemo1. A Fallout approach will require more manpower and much more time, we'll see in the next future.
Please don't loose time in slicing that image, I edited both the texture and the model and managed to slice the resulting render. This weekend I'll decide if I'm trying to put it in game or keep working on the three characters I'm still to animate.
After that we'll see what needs to be done for the demo. I think we'll need a couple more buildings/huts, plus furniture/scenery props and so forth.. I don't think I'll get bored Grin
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2009, 12:28:44 PM »

Alrighty, sounds great to me; I'm fine with using monolithic buildings + separate interior maps for techdemo 1. I'll upload a compiled ready to test version of isogen to trac; just in case you or somebody else wants to give it a shot nevertheless.
superfluid
Community member

Just another Python Hacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2009, 04:29:59 PM »

Yeah you guys are right; even though we managed to get some fallout-like building in the map editor, there are still details to be worked out, such as transparency, roofs, doors? Static building + door + teleport seems more manageable in the short term. I think in the end we'll probably end up seeing a combination of both in the real game.

aka or1andov on IRC
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2009, 10:44:14 PM »

A 30 minutes doodle, the guardtower for techdemo1. I'm not sure about the second floor eigth, but I think this building "works".
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »

I like it...
what do you think about cutting a hole in the roof with a little "crows nest"

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to: