Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: WIP (3D) - Steno's Buildings Dump.  (Read 41720 times)
Border
Community member

silicium_Vitae@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 03:19:00 AM »

that's cool but i some some suggestion:
-don't be afraid to use polygon. No offense but it look frankly low res. Personally i would have modeled the wall( its wood plank?) same for the roof. What is more important for PARPG ( i guess) is the look of it. I use to say "if you can, model it"
-try against a white wall or gradient (like continuum)  it "Read"better
-raise the AA level a bit and/or raise the sharpness a bit

Can you provide a view "like ingame"  Even if its a mock ie; not the real camera angle it will do. That would also help.

thanks
Continuum
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 11:52:17 AM »

Any thoughts?
Yes, more polys, you don't need to care about FPS rate Wink

Maybe some holes/damages like this one for example?

Also, I quickly made some damaged/old/whatever wall-ie like texture:

(everything done manually, only that bricks are from photo)

Result (with some crappy bump map):

Of course just a suggestions.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 06:36:08 PM »

Thanks for your feedback folks.
For the next building I think I'm going to abandon the "modularity".. It's really not worth it, texturing seems to be the bulk of the work that needs to be done. Probably I'm also to abandon low poly. For now I'll try to get the best from this current model, even if I'm considering about making a higpoly roof. Anyway, a link to an iso render:
http://yfrog.com/5risobuildingtestp
Part of the texturing is still rather uninteresting. I rendered the building with my XSI version of the standard Blender lighting setup: uhm, I don't know..
One thing I got is that photos are crucial to this kind of texturing. Thanks the Lord Mayang is back on line. Did anyone get if their license is fit for us? I'm not going to use their stuff as is.
Cont, thanks for your texture, I'll put it to good use.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 12:21:35 PM »

Still w.i.p. Plenty of stuff to do. Any suggestion?

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 01:45:16 PM »

The texture of looks really cool

About that last building, I am not sure. Perhaps it is only an ugly building Cheesy I mean I guess it is not meant to be visually appealing anyway right? In reallife I see so many horrible and ugly buildings, I guess in a harsh environment buildings wont "automatically" become nicer ... Cheesy

But the colouring seems a bit strange to me

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 10:42:12 PM »

Well, it's a real building in Scandinavy (Norway?), I mean, the orange/green combination is real too. I must admit that the texturing is a bit strange.
Continuum
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 02:38:12 PM »

Thanks the Lord Mayang is back on line. Did anyone get if their license is fit for us? I'm not going to use their stuff as is.
Do you mean mayang.com? If so, according to "Sources of graphic content" thread - you can't use them  Grin

Anyway, let's back to the building....

Hmm... At this moment I really see no point of doing anything larger. Project is in very early stage (at least I think so Wink), so if you want to make something: go for generic small stuff. Or better - finish this thing:

Love it, BTW.

While doing anything larger you must remeber that each piece of environment must be consistent with each other (in terms of art direction, texturing, level of details, etc.), otherwise the game will look simply bad. You're not adding stuff to existing game (aka modding), but you're doing everything from scratch. Keep this in mind Wink

Of course, if you're doing this building(s) to gain/improve skills or for testing purposes - fine.

Or maybe I'm missing something? Maybe there's a tons of design docs somewhere (locations, game settings other than winter, concepts)?

Just a suggestion of course. You don't need to listen what I'm saying Wink

As for myself: I'm considering to invest more time into this project, but right now I'm watching (from the side) how situation is going Wink  Also, I don't like/I'm against:

- hitting in the something isn't compatible with some license wall,
- releasing anything to publicity (aka source files) other than ready to add sprite (of course I'm talking about stuff which could be done by me in the future).

If I need to meet conditions posted above then I'll stop wasting your traffic and spamming the forums Wink
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 02:42:47 PM by Continuum » Logged
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 06:24:37 PM »

Maybe there's a tons of design docs somewhere (locations, game settings other than winter, concepts)?

Dont really think there are a lot of finished design docs anywhere.

Anyway, do you happen to have a fotograph of that building in norway? Smiley

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 09:43:59 PM »

O.k, here's the building:

Nagerf is the name of the town, I think it's in Norway..
I tried a building becouse I never tried anything serious with one.. I chose something which should roughfly belong to the game area. This project has been very instructive up to now.
A word about textures: as you can see my building walls/roof bear the markings of dripping water. To make it I took a leacking metal plate pic, desaturated it, then sharpen/resize/put it on a blend mode on a flat colour layer.. Then worked on that layer (and several others), added blur, stains, dodge/burn with various brushes.. In short you name it you get it. After that I saved everything to a single layer .PNG. How can anybody say I'm releasing their texture? I can write down I used it in the making, I'm not releasing it for free.. I mean, I'm not releasing even a part of it. Am I making a point or I'm missing something?
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 03:33:29 PM »

Looks good to me Sirren :-) I guess the windows are still WIP?
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 11:10:01 PM »

Would really prefer a system like FO where we can transition between "in" and "out" of building without loading maps.

Nice art tho guys!

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 11:46:16 PM »

Yep, I think the topic can be reevaluated at some point Zenbitz. I would personally prefer such an approach as well but we should ask how the others feel about it especially:
1. The graphics artists who have to create the assets
2. The programmers who have to get things into the game
Border
Community member

silicium_Vitae@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 02:34:56 AM »

i too would prefer the FO approach just because the other way make me think too much about Japanese RPG
Suzi
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 09:37:57 AM »

Still w.i.p. Plenty of stuff to do. Any suggestion?

Looks good, no doubt. Only question is would something like this still standing after the nukes hit and how would it look after the nukes hit. Those buildings look like pre-war to me, because they are made with lots of knowledge and by experts. Of course there`s also the possibility that some buildings were unaffected by nukes, at least structure - wise.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 12:17:14 AM »

as long as the building is >5km from a population center or military target with > 100,000 people ca. 1988, I suspect the building would be fine.  That's a hell of a lot of buildings.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to: