Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: WIP (3D) - Steno's Buildings Dump.  (Read 20034 times)
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: July 27, 2009, 09:57:22 PM »

Well, I really don't know what to do to contribute.. I think I could try with some buildings.
The plan is to make a few modular pieces which can be combined with a bunch of tilable textures. These could be used as they are or as a base. I'm planning to make two/three sets for town homes, one or two logs shacks, a couple of tin walled huts.. You get the point. These are the first models. They're six pieces: ground floor, second floor, two "roof" floors and two roofs. I'm using some photos for reference, a few elements are missing. With the help of a few different coloured textures we could put together a huge number of generic buildings without much hassle. I really don't know if this is part of the architectural style we're after, this simply is a test. I'm also assuming we'll have buiding interiors as separate maps only (right  Huh)
Any thoughts?
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8084/buildingtest.png
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 08:41:51 PM by Gaspard » Logged
Suzi
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 01:41:32 PM »

Trak's materials pack has some good ones, what kind of material are those buildings made of? It would provide useful if you share those reference photos with us.

Building interiors won`t be a seperate map. From outside it`ll have a roof, once you enter the building, the code triggers and you see the building without the roof. Basically like in Fallout. Two floors aren`t really nececarry, because in the mapeditor you can clone the first floor and put it on top of it. The roofpart looks different, so one floor part and one roof part should be enough. Personally i think this way of mapping is a lot more time consuming but offers a more flexibility in the end, a 3D engine would probably offer the easiest way to implement whole buildings, but that`s another discussion.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 01:52:49 PM »

AFAIK this kind of building is covered in painted wooden planks. I'm using a few pictures I found at photolybrary.com, I searched for "scandinavian homes". Really not free material.
So we're going to use a Fallout-style way of implementing buildings? Is this set in stone? If so I have to rethink this whole sub-project.
IMPORTANT: can anybody confirm/deny?
One word about our textures: once we upload them people who download them must be free to use them however they whish, including selling them. I think it's better if we make our own textures.
Suzi
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 02:09:29 PM »

AFAIK yes. I don`t want to say something wrong, Barra should clarify this.

It`s not a problem if you use not free material only for reference purposes, it would only be a problem if you take something from that photo and put it on something. Regarding textures, Trak`s material pack is very "share"-friendly, there is no problem using it. Making own textures is a very timeconsuming process, i`d really advise you to rethink this.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 07:30:33 PM »

Building interiors won`t be a seperate map. From outside it`ll have a roof, once you enter the building, the code triggers and you see the building without the roof. Basically like in Fallout. Two floors aren`t really nececarry, because in the mapeditor you can clone the first floor and put it on top of it.
That is misleading information Suzi. Right now buildings feature an outside representation and once you enter them, a separate map gets loaded and you just see the interior and not what's outside of the building anymore.

There have been discussions about which approach would be better and will I would personally prefer the Fallout approach in this case, others have favoured the buildings as separate maps approach.

Back then when it was discussed one of the main arguments for the buildings as separate maps approach was that they would be easier to implement programming-wise. Right now I'm a bit torn between reopening the discussion on the topic and rather simply sticking to the buildings as separate maps approach. How do the others feel about it? What kind of approach would you prefer? I'm still not 100% sure that buildings that you could enter without switching maps would make our life much harder. It will be a bit tricky for the graphics department as they would need to experiment with wall tiles to find out how to get properly tiled buildings without gaps (FIFE uses a 3d geometry system, this can lead to minimal rounding errors that lead to 1px gaps between map instances).
Suzi
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 07:59:37 PM »

Sorry for the misinformation, there were some FIFE screens which had this approach, so i thought this would be the case here as well.

Fallout approach:
-Wider combat areas, more tactical depth (i.e shooting through windows)
-Smoother transition between outside and inside

Current approach question: When inside a building, does the building has walls? If yes, then i don`t see the point of this system, because you still have to model/texture outside and inside of the buildings. If not, then it reduces a lot of work, but combat will feel awkward because when you change the map, hundreds of angry NPCs will come from the same door.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 08:11:26 PM »

We have test walls right now but they're more meant to testing purposes than anything else. Here the original thread where the topic was first discussed:
http://forums.parpg.net/index.php?topic=147.0
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 01:58:54 PM »

As far as I'm concerned I too prefere the Fallout/Arcanum approach, I.E. buildings can be accessed from the same map they're built on. Apart from my liking I don't know if I'd reopen this discussion.. I say: first let's find a lead programmer who's going to stay, then let's think about it.
One thing about building floors: keep in mind that if you deal with them as separate maps, then modellers will have to render them one by one. The wall tutorial is far from useless, we'll have to make modular wall pieces to arrange and render as needed.
Another thing: in Fallout a building which was let's say 8 tiles wide was actually wider. This was to have a indoor floor which was exactly 8 tiles wide. This way you couldn't see a indoor floor tile outside the building. How is this going to be handled in PARPG? Or better, how are walls going to block floor tiles when the character's outdoors?
A proposal about buildings/floors height: a blender unit is somwhat taller than a generic character. I propose a general wall heigth of 1.5 Blender units. Any opinion? Is this something that needs to be decided in the first place?
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 09:29:43 PM »

Texturing WIP of my (kinda) modular house:
http://yfrog.com/0chousetestp
Suzi
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 11:51:52 AM »

It`s shaping up fine. Maybe a bit of snow structure at the walls, i know this is WIP, so it`ll probably be in the end.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:55:50 AM by Suzi » Logged
Continuum
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 12:41:14 PM »

Try to make some damages/cracks/hand-made fixes:

Wall-ie:

And WIPie of large building:

Again stuff done for Fallout.

Of course it's just suggestion.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 01:52:44 PM »

Wow! And I say, WOW. Cont, did you use photos as textures, did you paint them or is this a mix? I'm desperately looking for Gimp crack brushes, but I've been unable to find anything suitable.
And yep, that building is going to get more worn than this current state.
Continuum
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 02:18:42 PM »

Mixing.

- base texture (photo) but some "manual" painting (and filters) will also do,
- tweaking it,
- if necessary another photo to get more rust/dirt/whatever (blending modes --> blend if),
- if necessary tweaking with custom brushes/manual painting,
- final tweaks.

You should be able to define your own brushes based on photos for example (at least it's possible in PS, not sure about GIMP).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 02:20:23 PM by Continuum » Logged
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 02:41:01 PM »

Wow, that looks impressive Continuum. We should try to get some wall ingame sooner or later to experiment with properly splitting up walls / tiling.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 12:00:27 AM »

I think I'm heading to the right direction..
http://yfrog.com/7abuildingtestp
Any thoughts?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to: