Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Main Story Arc idea - "Encroachment of Ice Age"  (Read 44669 times)
luksol
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2009, 01:47:20 PM »

What about this idea:

Up to some point in the main story everyone around PC and he himself believe that Nuclear Winter is what is causing the Ice Age. But later in game PC finds a clue, like old weather charts from before the war, some scientific data etc., that says that Ice Age was not caused by WWIII but the other way around. Ice Age triggered WWIII when someone realized that Ice Age is coming and they need more space, resources etc. to survive and damn anyone else!
This will explain why it is getting colder, also will add the 'hidden truth' behind a war.

Exploring this plot will provide PC with some more information on what is causing the Ice Age. This cause will depend on what theme the game should have:

1) 'unstoppable doom' - well, in this scenario, cause for Ice Age is simple, it is just the way it is, it is time for another Ice Age, nothing you can do about it, a very pessimistic story, with several 'incredible' cures for this situation encountered along the way but none of them working. So basicaly PC is walking from place to place, is being used by to do dirty work for others ("Yes, this man has some data tapes that holds important information that I can use in my research, retrieve it and together we can stop this Ice Age!"). In the end, nothing works and based on PC's actions (was he a ruthless killer, who did everything he was told to, or he refused to do something because the price was too high)
2) 'survival' - as above but instead of trying to stop Ice Age, PC has to find a way to cope with it. Gaining survival skills, technological knowledge etc. should be main goal. This is great setting for classic 'go there and find/bring/kill' type of quests, that PC can do for some very knowledgable NPC who tries to save civilization. This can put PC on odds with some groups that also survived the war, and based on their dealings with them, choices he made etc. ending should be altered. Good twist in the plot is to allow PC at the end to decide if he wants to keep gathered knowledge and resources for himself, his 'group' or share with everyone. Sharing with everyone might sounds great, but what if among the survirors there is some rally bad guy, who will then use what PC has shared to overthrow him and gain absolute power!?
3) 'star wars (not movie, US defence program)' - in this scenario, Ice Age was caused by some sort of superweapon or device launched into space or deployed somewhere on Earth (this could be even unintentional side effect). Tha war was waged to get rid of it, but most likely, as PC shouldn't know such thing from the beginning, it is something tha noone knew about until the war started and few scientists discovered what was causing Ice Age. But they were cut off from rest of the world by war, so they couldn't tell anyone of their discovery. So PC has to find them or their lab/facility to find out the truth. This scenario has a possibility of 'positive' ending. Example: if Ice Age is caused by constant device that is still working, it is possible to switch it off somehow. This may not reverse the Ice Age straight away but may stop it, so no more damage is done. A time limit can be added so after some time damage to the climate is so severe that switching off the devise will not stop Ice Age at all.
4) 'dr. No' - this is very unrealistic but also fun theme. Based on 'star wars' but with 'bond' gadgeds and story. Let's say that the device that is causing the Ice Age has been built in some remote place by a mad scientist whose theories has been once laughed at, and he build thid Doom Devise to prove his was right. Unknown to him, he was tricked into doing so by a secret organization that wants to rule the world. The tric was that they have replaced some documents he sent to his collegues with some psudo scientific bubbling, and then they gave him funds to continue his work... possibilities are endless, and I think it will be fun for a player to unravel all this scheming...

just few ideas...
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2009, 01:28:25 AM »

Aspect #4 is a bit contrived. On the other hand it sounds very simple too.

Personally I would rather like to see that we shape up some areas in more detail, and slowly add more and more stuff.
As we go along we can shape up the main storyline in more detail.

I agree with Dave:
that a player will want to immerse themselves in (and subsequently play again, and tell their friends about)

I think though that we can easily mix in different ideas into it. Some players might explore this area and like it, some others would prefer another one.
There could in fact be multiple "main plots", and perhaps sooner or later these plots lead together to a final story which makes more or less sense.

Anyone saw Dr. Strangelove? This was kinda fun... a single bomber plane on the way to russia, throwing the bomb, and starting the doomsday device.

We could do a similar plot to this... some mad men have taken over some base eventually, and a few more nukes still exist there, and perhaps even one functioning plane. After some time they decide to use it against some area which isn't completely destroyed yet.
Ok, this plot is a bit contrived, but it might lead to action, and the player could try to prevent this, or not do anything and see that suddenly a town is nuked away.

There can be multiple plots, some smaller some bigger ones.

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Vansh0
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2011, 10:00:21 PM »

Hey, I like zenbitz's idea a lot, and I think the game could be made very interesting for people who have already played Fallout – Another ending could be that the PC gains some transportation method (plane, boat, something like that) to get to the US, where he hears life is better. Unfortunately, he becomes part of the government-controlled Vault 13, thus making PARPG a prequel to Fallout 1. Not sure about the details, as I haven't played Fallout myself, I just know the story. We could also add in clues like slowly making the character "mature" through his travels and look even more like the Vault Dweller from Fallout. What do you think?

-Vansh0
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2011, 12:08:29 AM »

Uh, I guess you misunderstood the point - this game project might be inspired by Fallout, but it is a separate thing entirely and is not even going to be in the Fallout Universe. The plan is to one day have the PARPG Universe, in it's shining glory !
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2011, 03:42:55 AM »

If you read the Fallout world timeline, I think their big war starts in the 22nd century.

Here it is if you are curious: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline  You can see it's not compatible.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
dracre
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2011, 01:02:34 AM »

Wassup ladies and gentlemen?

I was thinking, instead of the game taking place right after the dust has settled, make it take place lets say 70 years after the war. This is means that even if significant amount of people survived the war, the harsh Nuclear Winter has reduced mankind to only a fraction of what it was. Then you don't have the problem of the world having hundreds of thousands of people but only being able to show a thousand. You can just have those thousand NPCs and explain the player that the human race is on the verge of extinction.

I'm also against having fixed timelines and loads of lore - instead the player should be must thrown in the game and let learn stuff on his own. It will be a rewarding experience traveling from place to place learning what has happened instead of reading it from the game's "lore menu".  

The back story should be believable and not too epic. Since the game takes place in an unforgiving, arctic world where you have abundance of snow, the essential resource that's scarce is heat. So I was thinking maybe the talk of the tundra should be a massive pre-war supply cache full of fuel and as much canned food as you can possibly eat, hidden somewhere beneath all the snow. Now that would be something like the Shangri La or El Dorado of a world like this, a mythical place that the bravest desperately try to find.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:06:57 AM by dracre » Logged
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2011, 07:55:50 AM »

What I like about 20 years after is that many of the people left alive still remember - and in fact may have even had lives - prior to the war.  In fact, in some of the design documents I mention that I would like the player to have the option of choosing a "pre-war" origin (so character would be 35-40 years old) or "post-war" origin (younger).

To me, the tension between the Old world and the New is one of the more interesting aspects of Post Apocalpytic genre.

dracre
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2011, 03:41:34 PM »

20 years is far too short time for the whole civilization to collapse; nations would still exists, especially in areas not directly affected by nukes. There would be countries and armies as long as they have resources. Also pre-apocalyptic tech would be still abundant and in good condition 20 years after. I doubt anyone would bother to make a bow and arrows when you have all those shiny AK47s still around.

The catch is that the nuclear winter would make food production impossible, meaning when the survivors start running out of resources, they'll start killing each other for resources until there really is only a handful of people left. This would be a good setting if you aim to make the game about trying to survive in a harsh post-apocalyptic world.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:47:59 PM by dracre » Logged
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2011, 05:49:38 PM »

Actually, dracre, if you check the number of pages this thread has, and go through forum archives, then you'll realize there have been very long discussions on whether 20 years post-apocalypse is optimal or not (and on other similar subjects). So far it is set in stone at the wiki Setting article here: http://wiki.parpg.net/Setting#Time

Right now we're taking a break from massive brainstorming and looking for a Lead Writer to - before moving along - organize what we have got already.
You're welcome to apply for the spot - the details of how to take part in that should be available later this week, stay tuned.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »

Please, Gaspard - let the good doctor argue.  At least it shows he's thinking.

How long after the "apocalypse" did the Road Warrior take place?
How useful is an AK47 with 7 shells?

That being said - I agree, this is actually a tough Writing challenge to wipe out 99% of civilization in 20 years!  Using only man-made weapons!  I mean, maybe if we toss a couple comets in to the Atlantic we start to get some real cataclysm...    However, I am not TOO worried about it.   The fact that we are even contemplating the "real world effects" rather than just making shit up puts us well ahead of ... pretty much every sci/fi fantasy video game ever invented.

My theory on reconciling this is as follows:
1) First decide on what we want the world to be like for the game (20 years after, Ice ace starting, 1% of pre-war population remaining)
2) Decide on some reasonable historical starting point to diverge from (1985-1988)

Then just try to be reasonable about it.

Roach
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2011, 09:34:41 PM »

I believe the idea of zenbitz is the way to go. It is something truly original, something that draws a clear line betweer PARPG and other games. Depressive, pessimistic mood would differ the gameplay and setting from Fallout. While in Fallout series humanity has preety much rebuild itself, in PARPG the world should be decomposed, on the verge of destruction, eventually falling over it.

Teasing the player with hopes of saving the mankind is quite an opportunity to deliver an emotional experience. The idea could be easily merged with the "Radio Gaga" concept, and make use of cliche plot devices in unexpected ways. For example, what initially seems to be a signal of hope(one of the few words deciphered from the broadcast would be "rescue") turns out to be a signal of despair(in full broadcast it is "there is no rescue"). Said broadcast could be aired by the "scribes" located in Global Seed Vault(possibly player could reach the "scribes" while searching for the vault itself, if he hadn't heard the signal) who seek to secure as much information and material as possible. Something between Noah's Ark and a tomb.

I have an idea regarding the ending, which makes traditional end slides possible despite earth being a snowball, though it is rather crazy and unexpected. While it does push the boundaries of realism, it makes the "scribes" activity have sense. Basically, I'm talking about extraterrestial beings surveying the earth some time after the apocalypse, and displaying what they have found out about the last days of earth. They could take various actions based on what they learned, so in the end player will have an influence on the final outcome.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:21:43 PM by Roach » Logged
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2011, 05:48:23 AM »

This has (finally) been wikified as Proposed Story Line, although as stated it's really more of a framework.

http://wiki.parpg.net/Encroachment_of_Ice_Age

We can, of course, alter some of the details, but I would like to get the from "Proposed" (or whatever the new word is) to "Estabilshed" in the next couple weeks.

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2011, 05:51:30 AM »

Nice work zenbitz :-)

I've added a link to your proposal here: http://wiki.parpg.net/Storyline#The_list
MrWillis
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2011, 12:02:05 PM »

Has the the storyline been decided yet or are guys still debating on it.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2011, 07:03:11 PM »

Why, you have a better idea? (post it it in a different thread plz)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to: