Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Main Story Arc idea - "Encroachment of Ice Age"  (Read 66450 times)
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2009, 07:02:33 PM »

knowing the Soviets that might be a secret project wreaking havoc among their own peoples unknown to anybody outside the closed circle of Kreml
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2009, 12:47:38 AM »

it amuses me to no end that people say "oh nuclear war is so overdone" then immediately follow with "what about a killer virus"

Yeah, because _that's_ not jumped the shark yet?

But I don't really care how you get the megadeaths... just get them, people!

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
DK
Community member

Personal Pencil Sharpener To Ye Gods

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2009, 02:31:18 AM »

it amuses me to no end that people say "oh nuclear war is so overdone" then immediately follow with "what about a killer virus"

Yeah, because _that's_ not jumped the shark yet?

But I don't really care how you get the megadeaths... just get them, people!

hmm
volcano?
Earthquake?
Tsunami?
Aliens?
Car crash?

!!!
thats it..
the world runs out of service oil and everyones breaks fail before they realise it.

Mass death ensues.
Halfbrood
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2009, 12:48:19 PM »

Able Archer 83 + Operation RYAN = Nuclear Strike/Retaliation Strikes + Aftermath = Shattered Civilisation. Disease would follow, with the breakdown of the infrastructure. Hm, this gives me an idea for a faction...
NineOfHearts
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2009, 10:10:06 PM »

ok just had a thought of interesting idea for the main story arc. What if we had 2-4 main stories occuring at the same time. So we have this going on, but then from the beginning other stories are present that are potentally important to the player as well. In one play through you couldn't know the full extent of each story, and each story would require at least an adjusted playstyle. So its up to the player to pick up on the memes of our story and follow the ones that seem closest to their own characters curiosity/needs etc..

I really like this idea of having multiple characters whose stories combine to make the whole story. In order to do this I think we need to agree on which memes are seen in the other character's stories.
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2009, 04:30:17 PM »

Heard of a doomsday in 2012?

Particulary, I've heard that in 2012 the Sun would give birth to an extremely strong magnetic storm, that would deliver a very strong EMP strike on Earth, and that magentic wave would cause malfunction of every single electronic device on Earth, and hence, all hell would break loose. They even say that could be comparable to a worldwide cataclysm like a virus outbreak.

However, primitive tribes that still exist on Earth, would not notice anything unusual (save for an unusual "aurora borealis" caused by the magnetic storm) because they don't use any electronics.
mauli
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2009, 09:34:18 AM »

What is a so called primitive tribe?

Imagine:

Before the apocalypse, we have so called primitive societies in central asia, in south america, in alaska, in indonesia, in africa e.g.
There are a few developed societies like the common industry nations, like the USA, the SU, UK, e.g.

After a nuclear strike, the so called primitive societies are mainly still on the same level of development, because on the one hand, they aren't the first aim of military (who cares in a WW III about a african tribe?) and on the other hand, the almost got nothing to loose.

But a industialized folk gets thrown back but still isn't primitive. It has to live with a destroyed infrastructure, with plague e.g. but it still has the knowledge.

So how do you define "primitive"?
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2009, 06:27:11 PM »

If you're going to have a tragic ending, I wouldn't go with the anti-climactic "Holy crap now let's kill everyone" route. You can have a tragic ending with a couple of unexpected deaths, but if there's going to be this downward spiral of constant despair and anguish, there needs to be that hint of hope in there somewhere. The idea of a tragic hero is not a bad one, either, so long as it's done properly. How many people here are familiar with Terranigma?

Let's fight some ballerinas.
Cain
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2009, 09:24:53 PM »

It is believed that the Nuclear Winter is indeed possible by massive soot/ash delivered to the stratosphere to block sunlight.

This can actually be caused by Volcanos and large size asteroids/comets.

Secondly, what if the planet just stopped rotating on its axis?
Gary
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2009, 09:35:34 PM »

Secondly, what if the planet just stopped rotating on its axis?

Cool idea.  You'd have a ring around the planet that would be habitable with either face of the planet an inferno or arctic waste.  The storms at the ring would be incredible where the hot air from the molten side of the planet collides with the cold air of the arctic. 

I don't think life would survive there for long, but 20 years, maybe...
Cain
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2009, 11:21:06 PM »

Yeah I liked that idea, its definitely one of those I have never seen that in a video game ideas.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2009, 11:53:57 PM »

Yeah, but I did see it in the fake trailer parts for Ben Stiller's character in Tropic Thunder.  "SCORCHER III"

Also, it's silly.  Why would the earth stop rotating?   Where would all that angular momentum go?

Cain
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2009, 11:56:10 PM »

The same place it came from : )  If it started to spin, then it can stop spinning.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2009, 12:03:46 AM »

Read your Newton, son. Cool

Gary
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2009, 12:08:39 AM »

Yeah, but I did see it in the fake trailer parts for Ben Stiller's character in Tropic Thunder.  "SCORCHER III"

Also, it's silly.  Why would the earth stop rotating?   Where would all that angular momentum go?

Yeah, after I replied, I realized how impossible the concept of rotational immobilization would be.  However, if the poles flipped another 60-ish degrees, you'd end up with one of the poles pointed at the sun while the planet continued rotating (like Uranus does).  Of course, then you'd have the problem of seasons where one of the poles was scorched in summer and frozen in winter, while the equatorial plane would be scorched every spring and autumn thereby making the planet uninhabitable.   Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to: