Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Main Story Arc idea - "Encroachment of Ice Age"  (Read 44647 times)
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 02:16:55 PM »

but maybe they are looking for something, or someone, even somewhere...
Well, this part sounds like Fallout: Tactics...
My variation:
The apocalypse didn't affect Russia as heavily as the sorrounding area/West Europe, or at least that country was better prepared. The Red army IS claiming the area or at least is sending scouting parties looking for resources/materials to be salvaged. In short they're evaluating if an invasion is still worth the candle.
The PC is supposed to stop them by either fighting them back or by convincing them that's nothing left to steal, or that due to the new ice age coming that's the first area which is going to be permanently frozen.
All this as a side plot to keep the main "try to save the world" quest running.
Just a proposal. What I feel is important is to try and avoid a naive Tactics-like development of the plot: at first the newcomers are absolutely evil gun meat, after you discover what they're looking for then they suddenly turn into a decent bunch of good fellows - and they turnto in allies. At this point even the last radioless soldier you meet in random encounters knows by magic you're a friend and not a foe.
DK
Community member

Personal Pencil Sharpener To Ye Gods

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 01:10:17 AM »

I like the ideas.. perhaps their appearane can be a big "chapter" mark, something if you survive long enough you will have to deal with one way or another whether you seek knowledge or power. The will become this great obstacle in the way of your future (reminds of children's story about a bear's cave.. can't go over it, can't go under it, have to go through it)
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 02:52:16 AM »

How about one arc in which a resurgent red army is sweeping across the tundra?

PC dies.

I mean, srsly.  1 guy does not stop an army.   He could, I suppose, organize the survivors into a an opposing army.
I don' t think this really works in an RPG... the scale is too big. 

I would be up for expanding the game (later) into more of a strategic/type game where the players controls a region of territory and has to worry about economics and military operations.   I might even be convince to put a battle simulator in the game (but Player would not really control the outcome).

Hmmm... this seems negative.  But cool idea!

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
DK
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 05:31:35 PM »

Just because they are an army does not mean that they want to kill you. You don't have to fight them, they won't fight you unless you give them reason to.

The organizing an army story is a nice one.... played dark sun? D&D pa world.. after escaping from a gladiator arena you are entrusted with the task of bringing the wastelands together to stop an army from the city of Draj that is intent in cleaning them out. You don't fight the army til the last battle (I have never actually won it but it's good fun).

I would rather it a world where most situations don't necessarily resolve to combat but they can (and perhaps do frequently though avoidable).

The red army would just be a thing our pc has to deal with on the way to where ever they are going.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 06:30:33 PM »

The red army would just be a thing our pc has to deal with on the way to where ever they are going.

Oh, I misunderstood you because this is a "main story arc"  thread, so I thought you meant as primary adversary.

It's certainly a reasonable "faction" - maybe even a major faction that controls some chunk of the game map.   Ironically, I think that this army should be as far from Russia as possible (maybe norway / denmark / germany).  Otherwise there would probably be an overwhelming desire for rank-and-file soliders to just go home (even to see what was left of it).  Of course, all the "original WWIII" guys are old (40-50) and have cancer...

DK
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 07:20:49 PM »

ah.. well I meant as part of the main story arc you have to deal with them somehow, they could present a significant chunk of the story depending on how things go with them.

DK
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 03:07:45 AM »

Going back to the original post along the lines of "nature is the enemy"....

I keep getting a recurring vision of the last scene of the game being this small group of people.... perhaps our pc alone... stuck in a shelter/vault underground, then the camera pans up and we see that the vault is under a literal mountain of snow a kilometre deep.

The story then is that a super-blizzard is coming and you have to find some way to either prevent it or survive it... panic sets in the population.

On the prevent it, I think there shoud be *some* way to do this in game but it means that from the time you know it's coming to the time it happens you have to do things almost perfectly (though scope sill left for individual role playing).

The thing I like most about this idea is that it limits the amount of time that you can spend "in-game" with one character and so replay value is high. With each replay you learn a little more about the world, maybe succeed in areas where you hadn't previously, see that failing in some areas might ultimately leave you more beneficially at the end of the game.

I also love the idea of our pc on the first run through or two through the game naively walking around the world then they are hit by a cavalcade of snow.

I am favouring making this rogue-like hard so that its an acheivement to even see the snow at the end. In a sense a rogue-like with a detailed coherent story that the player has scope within to act and craft his own path through our world.

Something like you spend 5 hours on any one game but there is potentially 20 hours of content variations.
(obviously numbers plucked from the sky)
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 09:01:05 PM »

how would you stop an ice age?

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 10:36:08 PM »

You'll just enter the correct activation codes for the secret Weather Machine that the pre-war scientists built for that very reason deep into the Arctic ice... piece of pie
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 11:02:27 PM »

The "Lost" authors might sue us in this case though :-p
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 11:13:21 PM »

Nonsense.  You cannot copyright an idea.    Although the world would probably be a better place if you could get sued for re-using STUPID ideas..

DK
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 11:44:29 PM »

Nonsense.  You cannot copyright an idea.    Although the world would probably be a better place if you could get sued for re-using STUPID ideas..
so true.

and on stopping an ice age?

hmm..

we'll think of something. perhaps more nukes somehow might come into it. *adds to research list for spare tme*
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2009, 12:08:42 AM »

you log onto a satellite and program the last silos to blow their nukes after certain intervals to heat up the atmosphere so the Ice cold wouldn't bite that hard ? Smiley
OK sorry for the spam I'll stop...
tie
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2009, 02:02:12 PM »

(moved from the brainstorming thread)

OK, here is an idea I just got about the plot setting/prelude:

Year 2010-2020, contemporary world. The PC is a part of a military research project, working on a (*gasp*) time machine! Our guy/gal is selected to be the first experimental timeonaut ever, set to travel to, say 1970-80(?). The hero enters the time machine with any necessary high-tech equipment, weapons, etc. separated in a second compartment (that later gets mostly destroyed during the travel). The chief scientist pushes the "When do you want to go today(tm)" button, and WHAM! our hero gets ported to post-apocalyptic Sweden. The first reaction is naturally "WTF?! This is not MY past!". It turns out that the year is right... but the history of the 20th century is all wrong. Here is the first (main?) questline that emerges naturally - find out why history is screwed. How come that instead of the summer of love, people ended up with the winter of the atomic rage? Some possible explanations that could be gradually figured out by the player during the course of the game include a second time traveler sent to an earlier age (say, who assassinated Hitler?); another explanation might be the theory of multiple parallel words (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation).

Some advantages of such a start:
 - You could choose any reasonable age for the PC, without worrying too much about its past
 - The PC is new to the post-apocalyptic world, just as (assumingly) the person in front of the computer. This is opposed to a setting where the PC would have known the world for 15-20 years
 - The PC knows all about the world as we know it today, and can talk in a way that is closer to the modern world, make jokes about recent real-world, events, etc ("Doc, you think you're House MD or somethin'?")
 - Avoids the cliches like "you are child of the wasteland", "when you reached manhood, your elder sent you to find the golden bullshit that will save the world", "your dad/mom/dog/goldfish were killed/ran away and you must avenge them/find them".

Do share thoughts Smiley
shanxi
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2009, 02:11:32 PM »

Sounds like Timecop, the video game.

I think this is a novel idea, but I'm happy with the current setting and imho including references to transitory contemporary things in a video game would only make it age badly.  There is, however, a lot of weird technology that could be incorporated.  There was a lot of strange stuff going on in the 1970s, military wise.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to: