Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Music themes for main NPCs?  (Read 6154 times)
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2009, 10:27:19 PM »

I am wondering whether this would be good or not to have?

It could give the important NPCs like Dr. Weir, the mother and the oldest a more unique "feel" for the game.

It would however probably be more work and might distract from "main soundtracks"

Thoughts

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 07:18:53 PM »

It's totally doable, and I'm all for it. Smiley
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 08:52:47 PM »

Actually, i thought about this a bit more. I think we have a lot of ambient sound (i.e. when the actor moves over cold places etc..) and as Dave recently posted I guess for the tech demo we will have specific sound effects (open/close crate for example). We dont really have themes for NPCs, probably because only one is really approved so far.

Now, i love that in movies like "The Dark Knight", all 3 main actors (Batman, The Joker, and that attorney guy) have their own theme, and these themes get intermixed into the main theme (more or less). This is similar to how Ennio Morricone gave his guys a theme too (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, or For a Fistful of Dollars, or Once upon a time in America, to name a few examples)

Perhaps this is a bit too much for PARPG in the long run. It is more a game, less a movie.
The only NPC who will be part of the game so far, it seems, will be
http://wiki.parpg.net/Doctor_Felix_Weir

So I was thinking perhaps a hybrid approach could be used - instead of tagging to several specific NPCs one theme, we could attach a more lasting theme to a specific chapter, i.e.
"Escape"
"Exodus"
"Final Battle"

And perhaps only loosely tied for Felix Weir his own unique theme, which could be more relaxed and smoother. 

This way we could have a specific music for settings/scenes, and only one NPC is more or less unique. It is probably less work, than the old idea of "one theme for every important NPC". Plus, we already have some theme proposals as far as I understood.

PS: I am giving Felix Weir as example, of course it could be another NPC, or it could be the main actor who gets his own "theme". I just think that a theme, which can be recognized, and is good, would be nice to have.

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 08:58:21 PM »

It's hard to do, and would rely on the compositional prowess of everyone involved, but we could do it.  With creative chord-substitution, it'd be fun.  It would give PARPG a much more coherent soundtrack, as well, instead of just a bunch of tracks that sound similar.

It's a long way off, though.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 09:39:57 PM »

It sounds like Planescape: Torment characters' themes. It would add a lot to the game mood. I know little about music but it seems to me you're going to handle a LOT of work..
Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 11:34:20 PM »

That's why I came around in the first place. :p  Then a lot of other composers showed up, ones who I felt were better equipped to handle the music, so I opted to go for the sound design (an area that I'm admittedly unskilled in; I've -never- done it.)

I'd love to write music for PARPG, I just need to get some damned free time (I've got a lot of projects in the works right now, and all with earlier due dates).
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 11:36:23 PM »

Having twisted versions of various themes as the game goes on would actually be a really interesting idea. The darker the game gets, the more twisted the music grows. The themes would still be recognizable, but there'd be far darker twists involved. It's not a bad thing to consider. However, in regards of an individual character theme (you're referring to a "leitmotif" here), in an ambient-themed soundtrack, having specific melodic ideas could be a bit of a challenge. So if we were to have individual leitmotifs, the choices should be limited to only a select few areas/people/scenes/whatever.

Let's fight some ballerinas.
Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 02:06:47 PM »

Yeah, and super simple at that.  A few bars of a a single melody, maybe with a harmony.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 06:00:42 PM »

What do you mean by individual character themes ?
Like when I play an 'evil' character my background music gets darker and darker and when I play a goody-two-shoes character then I'll get some background music with ponies in it ? Tongue
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 03:14:38 AM »

No, just specific NPCs and certain areas. At least that's the gist of what I had gotten from this thread.

Let's fight some ballerinas.
Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 04:39:32 PM »

That's what I gathered as well.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: