Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Discussion - Graphics application  (Read 25778 times)
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 04:56:24 AM »

That... that's beautiful.  Cry

Cheesy
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 03:16:25 PM »

I like the 2nd version :-) What kind of 3d modeling software do you use? So far we got Blender, 3d max and XSI users around.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 04:41:23 PM »

!!! that's what I'm talkin' about!!!

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
monkeyface
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 04:50:31 PM »

Glad you like it. However, I do believe texture and material work to be what makes or breaks a model such as this. If you approve of the concept, I can give it a go with textures and renders.
EDIT. I'm using XSI Softimage 6.1. As I've never rendered before, that part should be interesting...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:47:33 PM by monkeyface » Logged
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 08:09:04 AM »

That looks good to me. Really nice.
What's missing is some kind of handle for the other hand to hold this monster. Otherwise it would just cut up your fingers.

Enough nitpicking... now get this thing textured  Cheesy

monkeyface
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 02:23:53 PM »

Okay, done half of it. Never rendered anything before, though I have done textures. But then I've always worked in a light source. We'll see how it goes.
monkeyface
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 06:57:16 PM »

Done. Tell me how you want it, as a picture, as a model, as a project file, what resolution etc etc, what it could be used for. If it could be a weapon icon or something else. What resolutions are the weapon icons?
monkeyface
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 07:06:55 PM »

And to show you that this is certainly not a marvel of a texture...

Very wasteful, includes a direct copy-paste photo part, filter galore. But as you can see, when you view the whole weapon like this, it doesn't matter, it's more about the general values.
I hand-painted the handle and some parts of the main metal bar, but after 15 minutes I thought... well... This model wont be viewed in real-time, I'm not even sure it'll be accepted. Aren't those weapon icons rather small? And if you'd wanted it for promotion pictures, I bet you'd say that. So, this is what you get, eh. I started working on it after Zimble's post.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 07:36:07 PM »

Yep, results are what matters in the end and I say they're good. Anyway, if you want to see some wasted UV space then please download and give a look to the weapons I uploaded. I liked your work so far, keep it up.
Border
Community member

silicium_Vitae@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 07:54:24 PM »

far from perfect but nonetheless a very good start.
Like sirren sayd
results are what matters
and result is good.
Now were are the bolt to feed this baby?  Grin
monkeyface
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 01:38:20 AM »

Sorry, should have worked more with rendering. Have never done that. I've animated and textured but I've never been much for setting parameters and see a picture unfold... But I guess it could be a usable tool.
Here's my first try, a little bump map.

This is something, I think, could make for nice bolts. Just sharpen it and you got lethal projectiles. It's basically just an old iron rod... If you want something more specific, please supply me with some detailed concept.

Did a render with the crossbow, using all the parameters I could. Hah, you have to try. But realize this is my very first try, it can only get better... Now I kind of understand the purpose of materials and how you could use them to enhance a picture like this. Also, if I get on the team, I promise the texture work wont be as sloppy in the future.

I feel these kind of primitive render settings mimics the look of the Fallout weapons rather well! Of course, maybe you want it to look BETTER than that, but still...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 01:40:55 AM by monkeyface » Logged
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 01:50:21 PM »

I do not think there's a question whether you'll be on the team or not. Welcome to the team, already ! Cheesy

It's a nice piece indeed. Though I'm also worried that there's no handle for the hand the weapon is leaning on - good-bye fingers !
monkeyface
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 02:03:23 PM »

Well, thank you then.

I've thought about it and to me it's an even bigger problem that you have to use one hand to pull the release mechanism while holding the bow with the other. It would be kind of heavy. What if I created a handle, that also could serve as a bipod or something?
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 02:13:23 PM »

well the handle I had in mind would serve the purpose of balancing the weapon while you take aim and shoot.

But while you re-load it you can basically lean the "nose" on the ground and use both hands to manipulate the mechanism to pull the cord taut - a slow process indeed, but the punch this baby packs is phenomenal and more than rewarding. A bypod wouldn't be a bad idea, because this weapon would indeed be pretty heavy  Sad

EDIT: then again would the bypod find it's way into the game ? Shall the character get a special animation for that weapon ? If there's going to be one then it could be used for other similar weapons as well.
Border
Community member

silicium_Vitae@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 04:41:34 PM »

sweet little presentation. A little big in the button but thats just me being nitpiky Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: