Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sports and Games in-game  (Read 6855 times)
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2009, 11:47:04 PM »

I just thought whether there was a discussion about sports and games in-game yet?

Let me recap on some computer games first and their stance on sport and games:

- Fallout2 featured lengthy boxing contests or unarmed combat.
- Fallout featured gambling and cheating as a means to gain money
- I think King's quest featured a game-in-game, on a playstation thing (those gambling machines)
- In might and magic, a card game was done, at least in few parts, see Arcomage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcomage

Additionally, we know of "special" little fun games in movies. Anyone who has seen Robocop, knows that there was a fun remark about nuclear hits in those specialized advertisement stuff between news reports (you know, those news report which happen before they talk about robocop).

Hmm that's about it as far as I can remember. I for sure have missed some things, but my basic premise is this here:

Sports and games are surely important in an environment where the harsh reality makes people depressive. So how about we have one officially sanctioned sport? I believe this could be fun, and obviously whatever is easy to implement should be implemented rather than a complicated game.

But I thought it could be fun if the actor can participate in such a game. First things first:

- What kind of a game should it be?
I first thought about hockey, but I believe hockey is problematic. It is too much fun, it requires big protection and specialized equipment, it requires properly prepared ground (unless one places on a sea lake) and in general I just think hockey does not fit the general mood of the game (sorry to you canadians and swedes...)

Personally I favour something i call "snow rugby" right now. It will be played on ice or snow, and to make it more fun (and touch into the coldness atmosphere) players will be almost naked (yes yes properly clad with fur, all I mean is that no kind of protection should be allowed. it should be a bit savage, rough and so on)
The rules of snow rugby could be similar to real rugby, but this would be an ideal contest to try out game-related factors like coldness etc.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union
A team should consist of 5-8 players, not much more imho (less players, easier to implement i think)
Specialized "weapons" may be used perhaps too, to make the game more intricate... anyway, punches can be allowed,
throws, tackles etc... too

- Where should these games be available?
I believe they should be rare. My proposal is that few areas with bigger population should have it, perhaps 2 or 3, and as an extra bonus a group of thugs could use this game too (and the actor may learn a few tricks)

Hmm before I write too much about this, I think the basic premise I would actually want to focus on is:

Sports and Games in-game should exist

That's my real point. It doesn't matter so much whether it is snow rugby or even chess, or a special game designed, but I am sure it could be interesting and could distract from the main story a bit

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Kukkakaali
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 07:29:29 AM »

I dont think that the peaple would care to play snow rugby or something like that on hard times. But violent and
heavily gambling based events and sports such like dogfighting, boxing (bare hands) and freestyle fighting without rules would
fit the environment.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »

I dont think that the peaple would care to play snow rugby or something like that on hard times. But violent and
heavily gambling based events and sports such like dogfighting, boxing (bare hands) and freestyle fighting without rules would fit the environment.

My thoughts, but props to the original poster of thinking about the theme.

My favorite sport is F1 which I'm sure has no chance of being in PARPG Sad
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:03:37 AM by maximinus » Logged

Science is open-source religion
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 05:58:15 PM »

As long as anything gets in-game in the long run I am happy - whether it is more violent like dogfights or mixed martial arts with ice picks, or something less violent, isn't that important Cheesy

F1 is formula 1? I think if there be cars, or other vehicles, they could organize a racing event. Alternatively or combined, it could make it into a sub-plot.

I recall when my local RPG group played an adventure many years ago, we had to do some kind of scavenger hunt into an ice area using sailing ships. Both teams tried to actively sabotage the other team. Was a lot of fun.

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 11:37:50 PM »

probably a huge amount of programming effort for a marginal payoff.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
NineOfHearts
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 05:59:34 PM »

I'm into the idea of dog sled races where there are no rules and players and CPUs could smack each other with weapons as they race to the finish.
The aforementioned dog fighting also appeals to me...if you were entering in your own dog you could risk to gain a lot of money or lose your dog that you need in your sled team.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 06:59:32 PM »

I'm into the idea of dog sled races where there are no rules and players and CPUs could smack each other with weapons as they race to the finish.
The aforementioned dog fighting also appeals to me...if you were entering in your own dog you could risk to gain a lot of money or lose your dog that you need in your sled team.

Mostly to point out that I don't hate everything... I think this is quite cool... would it be on a track or cross-country?

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
NineOfHearts
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 09:43:40 AM »

Mostly to point out that I don't hate everything... I think this is quite cool... would it be on a track or cross-country?

I could see the possibility of racing them on the track and cross country--the races could be held in multiple areas of the game world. On another note, having it on a track would call for NPCs to be watching the entertainment and maybe there would be a bonus for your PC's "good" rating if you didn't attack your competition. For cross country we could add in some elements from the natural world (trees, ditches, raiders, etc.) that would make it a rewarding challenge to navigate and win.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »

having it on a track would call for NPCs to be watching the entertainment and maybe there would be a bonus for your PC's "good" rating if you didn't attack your competition.

I am sure Zenbitz cant wait to give out all kinds of bonuses and maluses (boni? mali?) to certain skills used... I guess pickpocket could be easier if a crowd is distracted... or sneaking may be easier (but then again more eyes could mean more people potentially see your character) :>

That leads me to another question - will the actor have the opportunity to recruit wolves or dogs? And even more than one dog/wolf?
If only for a sport-event... like racing through snow.

It reminds me of Homer Simpson when he was using the dogs in front of that... chariot.. that    carriage. Might also be faster for the actor, or
the dogs could help out in combat, and the loyalty of the dogs might depend on the actor's knowledge and skills with animals and...

I distract. Cheesy

Oh, one more thing, I guess cross country could be cool - he gets to know the surroundings somewhat, and perhaps it might be useful for him lateron, to solve something or whatever. Or perhaps some events in the plot might unfold differently, depending on whether he has raced already or not. I remember a pen and paper roleplaying setting where the group was sabotaged by other teams, and could only barely manage to compete ... quite the fun and mischief.

Ok i stop now.

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 03:02:03 PM »

Having a fellow dog would be a nice reminiscence to Fallout and Arcanum. I'm all for it :-)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: