Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Brain Damage of NPCs and Actor  (Read 4260 times)
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2009, 03:45:40 PM »

As usually, this is more a brainstorming than concrete implementation details.

But i thought it might be interesting if NPCs, actor, or monsters could be affected by damage to the brain (or similar).

Before I go on with brainstorming, I'd like to focus on the Fallout series first:

- Drugs improved some stats, lateron the character was often addicted with various effects. Personally I never really used drugs in game because i hated the addiction effects. I did use some mental or stat-boost drugs for difficult combats, but basically once i had the power armour, all I needed were some health packs. Anyway, to make a long story short - i dont think the fallout saga had much "mental" affections of drugs. Some NPCs appeared to be a bit stupid because of drug usage, but that was hard to tell, because NPCs were ... already quite stupid in Fallout, if you break it down and look at it. It was just a bit scripting here or there, or a NPC creating new drugs or something to kill mutants...

- During combat in fallout, NPCs could be temporarily or permanently blinded (if the eyes were injured), knocked unconscious, couldnt move... hmm not sure if i forgot anything.
===================================================
For PARPG, I think we could extend this concept a lot. It could create interesting stories (lateron)

Some example:
- Brain damage leading to loss of language abilites (aphysia). This could be temporarily,
or permanent. Obviously I think permanent could be interesting, but is probably too drastic. Temporarily could be fun, because the actor has a hard time to communicate with NPCs.
- Loss of certain senses following brain damage. For example the eye vision could be blurry, the screen could become very red or something... or just imagine when blood trickles into the
eyes, and the actor's world would be a bit limited.
- Becoming a "zombie". Now that would be equal to the death of a NPC, but the NPC might still move around... just not do anything useful anymore hehe.
- Falling into coma. This could be interesting. The actor might be rescued by friends and wakes up in a distant area. It could trigger subplots too, perhaps a friendly tribe finds the actor or something.
- These situations could be possible with NPCs as well. For example, imagine a friend NPC who helped you but he suffered a brain injury or similar. He can still be part of your team, but his personality has changed a lot. Perhaps he also cant really fight effectively. Or he cant talk anymore... but you still keep him around because he used to be a good guy and who knows, perhaps he can still be of help.

Also, because i wrote about hallucination effects before. During combat, the actor might suddenly see more than one opponent, or has a hard time to focus on targets because his mind is playing tricks on him.

I am sure there are more situations to think about, and implications - what I am trying to get here is to "open up" the community to "brain-affecting effects" in general. Cheesy

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 10:43:38 PM »

the problem with permanent injuries is that they basically = death = reload.  So you could have temporary impairment, but it becomes kind of a game balance issue...

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
sm4rv
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 07:17:19 AM »

- Brain damage leading to loss of language abilites (aphysia). This could be temporarily,
or permanent. Obviously I think permanent could be interesting, but is probably too drastic. Temporarily could be fun, because the actor has a hard time to communicate with NPCs.

Remind me of the "dumb" dialogues in Fallout/2. This means much work for the writers, but that sounds like a good idea to me.

- Loss of certain senses following brain damage. For example the eye vision could be blurry, the screen could become very red or something... or just imagine when blood trickles into the
eyes, and the actor's world would be a bit limited.

Afair was in the thread about drug effects said, that the technical challenge of such graphical effects would be very great :/.

- Becoming a "zombie". Now that would be equal to the death of a NPC, but the NPC might still move around... just not do anything useful anymore hehe.

- Falling into coma. This could be interesting. The actor might be rescued by friends and wakes up in a distant area. It could trigger subplots too, perhaps a friendly tribe finds the actor or something.

- These situations could be possible with NPCs as well. For example, imagine a friend NPC who helped you but he suffered a brain injury or similar. He can still be part of your team, but his personality has changed a lot. Perhaps he also cant really fight effectively. Or he cant talk anymore... but you still keep him around because he used to be a good guy and who knows, perhaps he can still be of help.

As inevitable part of the story - okay. As accidentally result of a combat - no. People would only reload Cheesy.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: