Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: WIPs (3D) - Small city style ( Kaliningrad)  (Read 31076 times)
Border
Community member

silicium_Vitae@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 06:05:41 PM »

yeah, as i type my answer i kinda remember there were spot in FO2 that were multi-leveled. Its in new reno .. mmm. I'll have to find some ref then.
thanks
Border
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 08:24:24 PM »

okay i finally move my ass enough create some 3d. In fact i left my rendering script
so here it it. Both are extremely WIP 
Some hotel

and a small center place statu in honor of mother russia.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 08:51:31 PM »

Whoa ! Fill this one building with people and we've got a one-building-community !! Imagine all the people ! Imagine all the dilemmas, the schemes, the quests ! Let's dress this baby up, give it interiors and plug it in !

In short - great work, Bor

when you start whipping textures on the hotel, break some of those windows or board them up - some sloppy repairs and degradation
Kaydeth
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 09:06:17 PM »

Looks pretty cool, but isn't the scaling off a bit? The building looks pretty small compared to the current sprite size.
Border
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 10:35:49 PM »

thanks gaspard. for the moment the building is clean ie. without any damage at all, which should be add asap.

kaydeth: your right, the whole building will needed to be cut into multiple tile but just for the ease of view i zoom out for the whole model Grin
BTW i don't remember seeing the tile size somewhere, any idea where i could find it?
Kaydeth
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 10:46:52 PM »

I think you'll probably find what you are looking for in the Graphics section of the wiki:

http://wiki.parpg.net/Department:Graphics

the sprite size is here:

http://wiki.parpg.net/Draft:Graphics
sm4rv
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 11:40:31 PM »

@Border

Does this statue base on a real statue in kaliningrad?
Border
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 01:23:41 AM »

hmm well not really. i found a picture of a statue in Kaliningrad on wich i based myself too but instead of a star there was a character. Lenine i guess. Naturally i can't reproduce Kaliningrad integrally so i made some modification.
I think i will make some variant of the statue. one with a character maybe one with the Ussr hammer and i forgot the other thing
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 01:25:53 AM by Border » Logged
sm4rv
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 09:14:27 AM »

It would be nice to have some recognizable buildings/monuments ingame Smiley.
Border
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 05:01:00 AM »

i partially agree with you sm4rv, and this is a point the bug me a little on the futur of the game.
I worked in the past on a PS2 game some years ago, a game were you travel from city to city across USA.
Anyways, things is because of PS2 resources, we couldn't reproduce whole citie but we use landmark instead and to be honest it didn't cut it. Saying "welcome to NY"  with a 10 houses city and a liberty statue.. mm 'not quite sure.
So the problem is the same here. Ok i use the name kaliningrad but to be honest i really doubt in the end, it would resemble to it except for maybe some architecture style or building.
my point is "realism?" yeah but realistically Smiley nah seriously, i look for cool thing in kaliningrad and built from it. If you can reconize it, fine . if not, too bad. As long the whole thing is cool looking, its fine by me Grin
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 07:22:30 AM »

But the game could feature only one district of the game. Let's say a major square surrounded by some recognizable buildings. In this kind of game we don't have to show EVERYTHING. In-game we can even point it out to the player by having an NPC say it out loud - "This square is all we've got, the rest of Kaliningrad is dead and empty, nothing there except ghosts." And if there is something somewhere in the city then it could be a hidden location which is given to the PC during a quest by an NPC.
Border
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2009, 02:33:19 AM »

yeah. that my be an idea, but again we can't do this for a lot of city.
Another idea would be just to wipe them; like after the apocalypse and ppl refund them but with another name.
The classic Neo.. Neo-Oslo maybe? nah too anime Grin
Here some new concept i made for environment asset.
Various stuff to populate the desolated world. Yeah i cheated. i created the grid like a big boy.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 11:44:20 AM »

I like the monument, the hotel and the iso drawings :-) Added them to the gallery:
http://wiki.parpg.net/Gallery

Good point about trying to recreate cities. It's not realistic to feature the size of a real city in such a game. However I would personally love to see at least one really big city in the game, similar to Tarant, which was the biggest town in Arcanum. Here's a map of Tarant:
http://mikesrpgcenter.com/arcanum/maps/tarant.html
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 02:27:19 PM »

I agree with you there, that it'd be cool, barra.
But it doesn't have to be this one city. It could just be an urban area that consists of many dens of "villages" that are really close by and form a loose alliance or something. Excellent again for storytelling and various factions and quests etc
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 02:53:26 PM »

My two cents:
Maps come and go. Once you have all the tiles/scenery objects you need they're somewhat easy/quick to put together. The hardest part is filling them, i.e. scripting. Quest, special events, random characters, dialogues, plots/subplots..
I think there are only two issues here:
1) map design, which is broken into:
A) General map design. How are we going to build locations? Huge single map? Many smaller maps? You can't recreate a WHOLE town, that's for sure. So.. A couple of maps for special places only (Think of the Den in Fallout 2)? Or a single map for each"district", such as central square, suburbs, crop fields/factories, military area, VIP area and so on? In short, more work for the design departement, even if this one can and has to wait for some more time.
B) Actual map design, i.e. we first design/draw/describe the content of each map, then mappers will actually build them.
2) The second issue is the end game download size. Most 2d total conversions exceed 200 megs in size today, and that's without a lot of new animations, which are the hugest chunk of most isometric games. I'm positive that we'd have a hard time in stuffing PARPG on a single cd. My opinion here is:quantity and size of maps describe the size a particular location is supposed to be in game, other than that let's put in game as many maps as wee need. Provided we have the manpower maps are a minor problem.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to: