Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Oldest and his age  (Read 3869 times)
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2009, 07:26:34 PM »

I believe the oldest should either be a bit older, or the "younger" ones should be younger.

Right now the following is written on:
http://wiki.parpg.net/The_Oldest

"Despite the horrid conditions of the labor camp, he survived, and established himself as a leader among the other orphans, often citing age as a reason to be trusted or obeyed."

The slight problem I have here is that he is supposedly 19 years old, and the group consists of people up to 17 years old.
I think if a 19 years old says he will be leader cuz he is the oldest, it might be a bit strange if 10 17 years old are nearby :-)
What I would propose is to make him 20 and the others 16 years old instead. Or, him 19, and the others 14 or 15.

I think from 17 years to 19 years is not a really big gap - yes, this may be minor, but it troubles me slightly.

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 04:30:51 PM »

The thing is, he's been saying that for a -long- time. It's not like he has just now established himself as the leader.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 10:19:31 PM »

At 19 he says "i lead, I am the oldest". The 17 years old say "fine, it is true, you should lead - you are oldest".
At 20 he says "i lead, I am the oldest". The 18 years old say "fine, it is true, you should lead - you are oldest".
At 21 he says "i lead, I am the oldest". The 19 years old say "fine, it is true, you should lead - you are oldest".
At 22 he says "i lead, I am the oldest". The 20 years old say "fine, it is true, you should lead - you are oldest".
At ....
I dont know, can't we expand on that story part? That two years difference doesn't seem that big. How many children does he lead anyway?
It just feels strange for me given the information that is on the wiki right now that age alone is making him a so predominantly alpha-type leader.

If he says "I lead, because I am the strongest" I wouldn't have a big problem with that, but for a 19 years old to say "i am older than you, I lead" to a 17 years old strikes me as strange

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 07:14:36 PM »

But think of this: he established himself as the leader of the orphans, and the guards, at a VERY young age (like 5)... He's not saying "I lead because I'm the oldest" when he's 19, he's already gained the title of leader, defended it, and proven that he can lead.  I doubt he even gave himself the title; it was probably given by guards "Talk to him, he's the oldest" more than it was him using the excuse of age.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »

I think it works.   When he was young, he was the natural choice for leader because he was the oldest (when you are 7 you are ancient to 5 year olds), he has natural leadership abilities, and grew into the roll now that he's 18 and the age difference is trivial.

I wonder if there should be a side plot where a PC (Older than 18!) tries to assert his leadership over the group by virtue of being older than the Oldest!!!

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: