Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Environmental sounds - Jazz/Blues  (Read 2750 times)
DK
Community member

Personal Pencil Sharpener To Ye Gods

View Profile Email
« on: June 23, 2009, 11:31:20 PM »

www.myspace.com/domkennamusic
if this kind of sound ever needed then I'm your man, just need to get some better recordings up than I have my playing semi-okish... All work my own original improvisations.
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 03:36:29 AM »

Good music, though I'm not sure Jazz and Blues will fit PARPG so well.  If we have a tavern-type place, maybe.

Do you have the ability to record anything in a higher resolution, or is it just that hand-held recorder? (I assume that's what you're using)
DK
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 03:47:54 AM »

yeah its just a dictaphone.. what would i need to record on a higher resolution? (pardon my ignorance if you could explain precisely what that means also)

yeah that's what I was thinking on the tavern-style place..

there is a couple of tracks that with some re-mixing might be suitable for it but anyways, whatever is useful I am happy to be used.
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 03:56:58 AM »

yeah its just a dictaphone.. what would i need to record on a higher resolution? (pardon my ignorance if you could explain precisely what that means also)

yeah that's what I was thinking on the tavern-style place..

there is a couple of tracks that with some re-mixing might be suitable for it but anyways, whatever is useful I am happy to be used.

No worries.  To record at a higher resolution, there are a few options: 1) set up your computer to record basic stuff (a basic interface with an XLR input and a sequencer (usually a free sequencer will come with the interface), mic up your piano, and play with EQ levels before you record anything. You can actually get some really decent sounds from that. 2) set up your computer with an interface with 1/4" inputs, run a keyboard direct that way, and record. Similar to the first option, but instead of being limited to your mic-ing skill and piano intonation, you're limited to the sound of your keyboard. 3) Set up your computer with a MIDI interface, and either use a keyboard with MIDI i/o, or pick up a midi controller, and record midi information into the computer, then run that information through a sampler / synth / virtual intrument.  It's a lot easier than it sounds, but the biggest downside is this option isn't cheap to get a good piano sound.

If this is something that you -really- want to do, check out www.tweakheadz.com and read Tweak's guide; if it doesn't answer every question you have, it will give you the knowledge you need for an educated Google search.
DK
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 04:02:48 AM »

cool thanks for the advice!

The guide looks good to.. will have a read over at a more reasonable time than 4am!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: