Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 12341 times)
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: June 14, 2009, 03:17:22 PM »

Anyone played Fallout 3? Care to give some opinion on whether it's buying for my PS3 or not?

Science is open-source religion
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 03:48:45 PM »

I think it's not a bad first person shooter with a post-apoc touch but I don't think that it compares well to the first two titles. The first two parts of the series were RPG milestones. You could spend your money better by getting Fallout 1 & 2 at goodoldgames for far less:
http://www.gog.com/en/search/sort/search/Fallout
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 04:34:43 PM »

I think it's not a bad first person shooter with a post-apoc touch but I don't think that it compares well to the first two titles. The first two parts of the series were RPG milestones. You could spend your money better by getting Fallout 1 & 2 at goodoldgames for far less:
http://www.gog.com/en/search/sort/search/Fallout

I'm trying not to play the original fallout as I might be too influenced it. We have enough people who are fans of the original to push that agenda!

Also the game doesn't play that well with wine  Sad

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 05:07:18 PM »

Might be worth a try in case you don't mind getting inspired by two great games:
http://www.towerofcreation.com/fallout/linux
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 04:52:50 PM »

I haven't played it but I have "sat in" on a few console games.  I think it gets a bad rap by the RPG community.
It's not really a shooter, it's a "fake shooter" because the combat is paused and your char has skills and what not.

You should play it and see what you think.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
NineOfHearts
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 09:19:02 AM »

I haven't played it but I have "sat in" on a few console games.  I think it gets a bad rap by the RPG community.
It's not really a shooter, it's a "fake shooter" because the combat is paused and your char has skills and what not.

You should play it and see what you think.

You can do the freeze thing and focus where your gunfire's going to go or you can play it like a traditional shooter.
Maximinus, I played it for a few hours today and I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure how much it costs for the PS3 but it looks and plays great on the Xbox 360. The world is so interactive it just blows my mind. You can really do ANYTHING in that game.

Send me more questions my way if there is anything else you need to know about it.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 02:38:07 PM »

It's 400 RMG here (about $60), which is pretty expensive on one scale of things (a weeks pay for almost everybody) but pretty cheap on another (about 4%) of my monthly wage.

The on-line reviews just seem to say 'it's an Oblivion clone' but I had a good 80+ hours of that game, so more of the same seems good to me!

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 08:32:52 AM »

Bought the game yesterday. Happy so far - combat takes a short while to get used to but the exploration in this game is great!

NineOfHearts
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 05:49:31 PM »

Bought the game yesterday. Happy so far - combat takes a short while to get used to but the exploration in this game is great!

Glad to hear it! A neat trick I found for killing enemies is to use your AP to auto aim for the desired body part and, if you run out of AP, switch back to manual and fire. You'll still be aiming at the body part you last used your AP on. Also, you can use your AP with weapons like grenades. Excellent for going against robots!
Jormunder
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 11:41:55 PM »

The exploration is great, i second that. But - I personally don't like all the simplifications they made in the game and the dlc's (xcept broken steel) are horrible (anchorage being the worst fps-p.o.s. i've ever played)
Suzi
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 04:58:13 PM »

FO3 GOTY Edition was announced, coming soon. Containing all DLCs.

Not really a bad game, but a bad Fallout game.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 12:36:09 AM »

Not really a bad game, but a bad Fallout game.

The old Fallout-style roleplay seems pretty dead in the times of "simplified gameplay so all 10 years old are happy" and "fancy GUI effects for 3D simulation". These two seem to be the main mantra as of the last some years.

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »

why would you play Fallout 3 if soon you could play this: http://www.shackvideo.com/?id=14954
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 03:40:38 PM »

I'm a huge fan of the engines that id created but their games were not really prime examples of good storytelling either.
Border
Community member

silicium_Vitae@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 04:52:58 PM »

why would you play Fallout 3 if soon you could play this: http://www.shackvideo.com/?id=14954
WOW. id is not dead! 'guess it will only come for console first and 10 years later for PC... aww suck it, i dunno own those kid can play FPS with gamepad.... Keyboard and mouse for criss sake!! I'm getting too old i guess. Wink
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: