Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Score sample  (Read 12859 times)
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: June 12, 2009, 10:09:43 PM »

Here's a bit of a draft for the tech demo for the game. It's not fully polished, but it's a working sample. I'll go back and spruce it up in the future, as some of the sounds are a bit too abrasive. I may add further instrumentation, but I don't know yet. We'll see what the general response is:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lmra3j

EDIT: The original MP3 file was the one that I didn't intend to convert. This file fixes that (It's an OGG document).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 04:25:07 PM by meinmartini » Logged

Let's fight some ballerinas.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 01:08:22 AM »

Hey man, I didn't manage to download it. A message says the link is below but below there be nothing at all ! Shocked
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 01:48:59 AM »

You have to wait a few moments before the link appears.

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 03:14:46 AM »

yo thanks, problem was elsewhere actually - my browser failed to load the page properly a couple of times :/ downloading now
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 03:41:28 AM »

It's a good piece, with really strong elements, but I'm not huge on the quarter-note guitar sound; too busy for the whole piece.  It doesn't really seem post-apocalyptic, though it does feel like it backs a village pretty well.
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 04:03:33 AM »

It's a good piece, with really strong elements, but I'm not huge on the quarter-note guitar sound; too busy for the whole piece.  It doesn't really seem post-apocalyptic, though it does feel like it backs a village pretty well.
Something to build off of, anyway. I'd probably add more dynamic variety with the guitar, as it's pretty stagnant throughout. I'm going to fix that solo flute portion toward the end; it doesn't seem to fit in. The ending itself is a bit too abrupt, too; I'll extend it a little bit.

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 02:42:28 PM »

It's a good start. I must say that the volume level is very low though. I mean, I know it's not meant to be loud but I really had to crank the stereo up.

Also, is it possible to post an ogg file? I could do it myself but I'd end up losing some sound quality.

Other than that, I'll get it in the game tomorrow  Grin

Science is open-source religion
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 03:24:46 PM »

Maximinus: Don't worry about that yet. I'll have to implement some changes, including volume. I'm surprised at the response, considering how much of the velocity I had to increase. As for an OGG file; I'll have to look into that, too. I won't be able to perform any playback once converting, so I don't know how the sound quality's going to turn out.

Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 03:28:05 PM »

Maximinus: Don't worry about that yet. I'll have to implement some changes, including volume. I'm surprised at the response, considering how much of the velocity I had to increase. As for an OGG file; I'll have to look into that, too. I won't be able to perform any playback once converting, so I don't know how the sound quality's going to turn out.

If you can export it as a wav, Audacity can convert it to OGG.  Mp3s are just really lossy, especially when you're converting from mp3 to anything else.
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 03:47:29 PM »

That's what I'm using now, Dave. As for the volume of the piece, totally my bad. I had used Audacity to increase the velocity, and had exported an updated WAV file...but converted the wrong file in iTunes. Guess what, guys, you just listened to the original Finale playback.  Wink

Here's an updated OGG file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/lmra3j

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 08:35:14 PM »

The new version is fine sound-level wise. I really dig the minimalistic approach of yours meinmartini. As I'm no audio expert by any means I can't provide detailed feedback but I really like the track; I'm sure we'll find a good place for it in the game.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 11:46:20 PM »

The new version is fine sound-level wise. I really dig the minimalistic approach of yours meinmartini. As I'm no audio expert by any means I can't provide detailed feedback but I really like the track; I'm sure we'll find a good place for it in the game.

Indeed we will, in fact I'll slap it into the game tonight!

meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 01:15:21 AM »

Dave: To record the guitar part, I'll send you a sample of the track without the guitar, as well as the sheet music. As per other mixing elements, I'm kind of excited to see what you could come up with. Recorded flute parts would also be awesome, as Finale's sound fonts for the flute sound really poor. I'm almost tempted to just use MIDI; it actually sounds closer to the real thing than these sound fonts! If it's a hassle, then don't worry about it.

Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 02:53:54 AM »

Dave: To record the guitar part, I'll send you a sample of the track without the guitar, as well as the sheet music. As per other mixing elements, I'm kind of excited to see what you could come up with. Recorded flute parts would also be awesome, as Finale's sound fonts for the flute sound really poor. I'm almost tempted to just use MIDI; it actually sounds closer to the real thing than these sound fonts! If it's a hassle, then don't worry about it.

I'm not the greatest flute player, but I'll give it a shot.  What would be the absolute best to work with would be every instrument as a separate track; you can email me everything you're willing, including the sheet music for the guitar and flute, to matneyx@gmail.com.

I'm excited to work on it. Smiley
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 01:45:11 PM »

Added game music to current SVN.

Certainly it sets a good mood, although I haven't heard it loop for hours on end yet  Tongue

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: