Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Watch this video.  (Read 4307 times)
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« on: June 10, 2009, 04:46:34 AM »

If you're at all interested in doing sound for video games, watch this video: http://www.wired.com/video/amon-tobin--beans--infamous-music/24993155001

I can think of so many ways PARPG can benefit from the work that the inFAMOUS team has done on sound, and I'm sure you'll agree once you watch it.

Finally... maximinus, is the levels of combat intensity thing something we can do?
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 10:38:47 AM »

Finally... maximinus, is the levels of combat intensity thing something we can do?
Not in turn-based combat, no.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 02:20:08 PM »

I know qubodup says no, but after watching the video I kinda say yes. I'll have to read more about the facilities of FIFE sound though before I give a definite answer (the biggest problem will be the ability to fade in and out and have the sound sources in sync).

Science is open-source religion
Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 02:46:59 PM »

I know qubodup says no, but after watching the video I kinda say yes. I'll have to read more about the facilities of FIFE sound though before I give a definite answer (the biggest problem will be the ability to fade in and out and have the sound sources in sync).

I can see that being an issue in a turn based RPG.  As far as determining fight intensity, it could easily be linked to hit points.
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 11:07:25 PM »

Opinion: The 'problem?' in turn-based is that the more critical it gets (less hp) the more concentration and the less adrenaline you need in your blood, as not reflexes, but calculation is important. This means that intensive music will only work against what you want. Smiley
Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 11:57:27 PM »

Opinion: The 'problem?' in turn-based is that the more critical it gets (less hp) the more concentration and the less adrenaline you need in your blood, as not reflexes, but calculation is important. This means that intensive music will only work against what you want. Smiley

Isn't it our job as game designers to make a handful of ways for a player to win, then a hundred ways for the player to lose?
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 08:49:21 AM »

Comment on the video: I found it awesome  Grin would be cool to go in a similar direction in some cases with PARPG

Isn't it our job as game designers to make a handful of ways for a player to win, then a hundred ways for the player to lose?

But does the music have to be more intensive ? The music could be, in an intense combat situation, more ... zen ? Something that's calm but sort of intense in a passive way, no quick/repetitive cracks and whooshing whooms.
I'm not a sound guy but I know there are sounds and SFX that would be usable in such a way.
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 12:34:47 PM »

But does the music have to be more intensive ? The music could be, in an intense combat situation, more ... zen ? Something that's calm but sort of intense in a passive way, no quick/repetitive cracks and whooshing whooms.
I'm not a sound guy but I know there are sounds and SFX that would be usable in such a way.
This sounds like an interesting idea. Supposing the music tracks were available in layers, one of them could be removed or made more quiet depending on situations. I would prefer a "there is one and only one track only per map" solution. Much simpler that way.
Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 04:11:13 PM »

This sounds like an interesting idea. Supposing the music tracks were available in layers, one of them could be removed or made more quiet depending on situations. I would prefer a "there is one and only one track only per map" solution. Much simpler that way.

I know we've talked about mushrooms and cannabis... This idea sounds like something of a drug-effect, maybe some sort of focusing drug.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: