Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Continuum's Awesome Art Thread: "Some of the stuff...  (Read 33520 times)
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2009, 01:20:12 PM »

This project is not freeware, it's open source and free of charge. There is a vital difference to it.

The reason for allowing commercial usage of the assets is described both at the wiki as well as at the license thread at the forums:
http://wiki.parpg.net/License#Assets
http://forums.parpg.net/index.php?topic=39.0

Qubodup knows all of the stuff way better than I but there are two main reasons:
1. We wanted to dual-license our assets under GPL 3.0 as well to ensure that users who reuse our assets have to contribute back to the community. All GPL licenses permit commercial usage so it felt logical to go for CC 3.0 BY-SA and not CC 3.0 BY-SA-NC. That means you can't go for a GPL license if we do NOT want to permit commercial usage.
2. Some Linux distros don't accept projects that feature NC (non-commercial) assets into their official repositories. I guess the problem is that non-commercial is quite a blurry term in this regard. E.g. if you're a Linux distribution and accept 3rd party funding, wouldn't that violate the non-commercial clause? That's one of the reasons why some only accept projects with assets that permit commercial usage.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:16:37 PM by mvBarracuda » Logged
Continuum
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 08:55:28 PM »

Been playing with lights set-up...

For comparison I added windmill thing which was done in Blender (or am I wrong?).

Anyway, can someone export blender scene? Since lights/cameras can't be exported to .obj, we can do a little trick:

- create a simple box (geometry),
- center the pivot,
- move the box exactly to the same position where the light is,
- name it: light which has shadows enabled, you may add the intensity value,
- do the same for the rest of lights and for the camera,
- that tile you got in blender scene will be also needed.

In this way I'll be able to create similar settings to the Blender's one (or at least I think so Tongue).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 08:58:54 PM by Continuum » Logged
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 03:35:34 PM »

Yep, the windmill was done in Blender, created by Zimble.

Not sure how busy Zimble is at the moment. Hopefully he could look into it, or maybe Lamoot but I haven't heard but of either lately.
Border
Community member

silicium_Vitae@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 12:00:56 AM »

continuum: i had the same idea for the export of the scene. I`m not sure but the light position is the same as the render scene so if you want to tackle it. Download blender and have fun Cheesy cuz like Bara sayed, i think our blender artist is undeterminatly off.
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 08:39:34 PM »

I was asked to add my 2 cents Smiley
Project itself isn't commercial, but assets must be by compatible with some license which is allowing to sell them? Sorry, but I don't see ANY logic here. As I already stated in other thread: you'll only lose on it and gain nothing. But decision is yours Wink
Commercial usage is required, because the it was decided to use a license, that requires commercial usage to be allowed. I favored the decision, because this would allow distribution through official Linux distribution repositories. The intension of this proejct is not to use the game commercially, but it needs to fullfill the 'commercial-usage-requirement' so that the Linux distributions can include the game in their repositories.

I realize that this makes the job harder. To me it seems that the pay-off (easier distribution) will be worth it.
Suzi
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2009, 05:05:18 PM »

Honestly i couldn`t care less about some linux distrubitions, but if that`s the way to make this game then i`ll just accept it.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2009, 05:15:31 PM »

We're operating in a niche, aiming for old school gameplay and look. So I think the Linux community is an important target audience for such a game. There are other reasons why we should try to get the attention of the Linux community: a lot of programmers run Linux-based systems so supporting these platforms and being available in the important distribution repositories can actually help to spread the word about the project among programmers who might end up contributing to PARPG at some point.

So while I can definately see that going for a license that permits commercial usage of the assets makes our life harder, I think it's worth the effort :-)
Lexx
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 08:42:09 AM »

Oh no! Continuum doesn't want to work with crappy old outdated Fallout engine anymore? :>

Btw. the snowy stuff looks great.
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 10:59:03 PM »

Havent heard of him, hope he is doing fine.
His stuff looks cool and would be great for next "techdemo" (or however you want to call those releases), the last news update was August 19th 2009 and it would be cool if the demo could include some new buildings / building types

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
Continuum
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2009, 12:49:49 PM »

Oh no!
Oh yes! Past-gen shitty shit is cool!

Anyway, some quick and crappy (yeah, textures are utter shite) fan art, because winter is so damn cool!

Anyway 2, some trees for techdemo:

There's no shadows on the ground, but who to hell needs them in techdemo anyway...
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »

I love both your render and your trees. What tool did you use to generate your trees?
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2009, 05:22:35 PM »

Cool cool cool! Barra did you add it to gallery? (The above one)
If not I can try to do so.

Btw the trees are nice, just curious about one thing - will we have colours on them? Like a slight green for the leaves (although... i guess during winter leaves would be more brown... eventually fallwing off. Not sure if this is the same with willows, and I think needle trees dont lose their leaves hmmm.... or  will we add snow to those trees?)

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2009, 05:36:24 PM »

Haven't added them to the gallery yet. If you got time on your hands shevegen, please go ahead :-)
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2009, 05:52:25 PM »

K, gimme a second.

K, added it now.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 07:25:36 PM by shevegen » Logged

Continuum
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 11:55:41 AM »

What tool did you use to generate your trees?
They're AEC objects in Max.

Btw the trees are nice, just curious about one thing - will we have colours on them? Like a slight green for the leaves (although... i guess during winter leaves would be more brown... eventually fallwing off. Not sure if this is the same with willows, and I think needle trees dont lose their leaves hmmm.... or  will we add snow to those trees?)
The same materials were used on tress in both renders. As you can see on that junky house render procedural snow is only on the top. But at iso renders everything is white because of camera position. Or maybe it's something else? Dunno.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:07:20 PM by Continuum » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to: