Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Swedish first timer  (Read 4178 times)
skymandr
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: January 08, 2010, 10:05:22 PM »

Hello all!

I'm a Swedish physicist (fusion plasmas) of 27 years of age, and this is my first attempt at a collaborative open source project. I love the idea of an original post-apocalyptic RPG in the vein of the Old School, and though I work full time, I hope I will be able to contribute in some small manner. There's a lot of things to read and take in before I know what though...

Being Swedish and part Norwegian I can help with details on those countries, such as names etc. (already have some comments there... Wink), should the story go there. As for the Baltic states I'm afraid that I'm at a loss. Regrettably, the same is true when it comes to Finland.

My main interest is, perhaps, in writing. My written English is good, and I've always liked writing story/copy, as well as broader scenarios and backgrounds (I'm an old pen and paper roleplayer). I'd probably enjoy dialouge as well. I can also imagine doing voice work. My accent (as well as spelling...) leans very heavily towards the British, but for a game set in Europe I guess that is fitting.

As do many others, I dabble in drawing. I've got no real talent, but maybe I can help brainstorming. Likewise, I have no talent for music, but a keen ear that I'll happily lend for evaluations. I'm also an experienced C programmer, and a beginning Pythoneer. but my roots are not really in object oriented programming, and my experience in large scale collaborations slim to put it lightly.

That will be all for now. I'm looking forward to seeing where we can take this!
/Skyman

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 08:29:17 AM »

Hi Skymandr

From a programmers viewpoint, Python is not that hard to use (coming from C, anyway). You can program Python in a very C-like way, or a Python-like way or even (almost) a LISP-type way.

Good luck, and join us in IRC if you have the time  Wink

Science is open-source religion
Sindwiller
Community member

Official Forum Linguist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 01:29:43 PM »

Welcome!

I'd recommend pythonic idioms though Smiley

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 02:02:33 PM »

Yo, he was on IRC yesterday. I tried to persuade him to dive right into the wiki stuff Wink (background... NPCs... and of course world war III pre-story, as that still is not yet of very good quality IMHO)

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 02:26:48 PM »

I'd recommend pythonic idioms though Smiley

So would I, but the fact you can basically start writing like C makes the entry a lot easier.

Also, working, written C-like code is better than non-written pythonic code  Wink

Science is open-source religion
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: