Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: 'Ello  (Read 7019 times)
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: June 04, 2009, 01:21:56 AM »

Found out about this project from the GameDev forums. I haven't visited in awhile, and a lot of projects I've been involved with have either gone stagnant, or there's not much work for me to do at the time. So here I am.

For the most part, I'm 25, live in Southern Ontario in Canada, and I'm a composer. Mostly self-taught, a lot of my style is compared to film scores and video game scores which tend to suit the RPG genre. I'm very excited to be starting a Masters in the Fall where I'll be studying and developing different tastes of music. In other words, it's music which falls into the academic side of things (in other words, really strange stuff that you wouldn't just crack back with a book and listen to). I've done a couple of projects in the past, some of them finalized, some of them in beta, and others that have completely stalled in development. So, I've been a bit gun shy about exploring other projects, as there would be a few pieces being composed for pretty much nothing. But this project looks like it has lots of promise, and I've been annoying some of the developers by asking some piercingly annoying questions. Wink

In the IRC channel, I'm Meinmartini. For those who have Skype, I go under Meinmattias.

Nice to meet you all. Any other composers/musicians in the house? Smiley
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:26:52 AM by meinmartini » Logged

Let's fight some ballerinas.
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 03:06:24 AM »

Welcome to the forums and the project, Meinmartini.

To answer your question, we've had mixed interest from other composers, myself included, but most of them tend to disappear once they realize that we're a bit too early in the project for music.  It doesn't mean we can't start writing for it, though. Smiley

As for musicians, I know maximinus plays guitar. Smiley
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:24:41 AM »

As for musicians, I know maximinus plays guitar. Smiley

Thats my artistic side coming out - I'm normally a programmer  Cool

I was in a Grateful Dead cover band for 10 years though, so I've done my fair share of gigging....

Science is open-source religion
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 08:11:31 PM »

I was in a Grateful Dead cover band for 10 years though, so I've done my fair share of gigging....

Heh.  My mom got the Dead their first gig (before they were the Dead).  They played for her little sister's junior high graduation at Peninsula school in Palo Alto, CA.   Her best friend was Jerry's girlfriend.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 02:18:50 AM »

Heh.  My mom got the Dead their first gig (before they were the Dead).  They played for her little sister's junior high graduation at Peninsula school in Palo Alto, CA.   Her best friend was Jerry's girlfriend.

You got any dates or evidence for this? Because I can't see any references to this on deadlists. I assume we're talking about 1964-65, when they were the Warlocks?

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 08:03:59 PM »

1961 baby.

AND Bob and Jerry
VENUE Peninsula School
CITY
STATE CA
DATE 06/??/61
SET1
SET2
COMMENTS -- (pg. 36*), Their second gig was at Peninsula School's eighth grade graduation ceremony in early June. That gig had been arranged by Danya Veltfort, whose younger sister was matriculating. Danya says, "Bob and Jerry took home fifty dollars for their troubles, good money for those days (and that crowd)."
RECORDINGS
CONTRIBUTORS Teddy GoodBear <DeadLists@GoodBear.com>, *Blair Jackson ("Garcia, An American Life"), Danya Veltfort.

From http://www.goodbear.com/pre-dead_v01.html

Danya  Veltfort is my mom.  I was wrong - it was their SECOND pro gig, the first was in May 1961 at the Arroyo. (according to this page)

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 02:09:06 AM »

That IS old, way before the Dead got together. If you have any pics, you should send them to Teddy Goodbear, they'd probably go down a storm at a few Dead sites I go too (pictures of Jerry at this stage in his life are rare, as he was living out of a car at the time).

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 10:25:18 PM »

no pix that I've ever seen...   my Mom was 17 in 1961.

meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 03:12:25 AM »

Just placed an order for a sequencer that is 3 versions its successor. Hopefully this way I'll be able to produce greater ambient effects and tracks appropriate for this project.

Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 04:19:18 AM »

Just placed an order for a sequencer that is 3 versions its successor. Hopefully this way I'll be able to produce greater ambient effects and tracks appropriate for this project.

Upgraded Sonar, didja? Smiley
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 04:59:49 AM »

Upgraded Sonar, didja? Smiley
Indeed! They had it on a discount. Cheesy

Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email