Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Discussion - General environement/building look.  (Read 4828 times)
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: May 26, 2009, 03:36:09 PM »

I browsed some thousands photos to make my reindeer and wolf, and then a few more hundreds to have a look at scandinavian homes/huts..
What you generally see about animals is a snowy white flat landscape, more snow and then some more..
I remember reading somewhere in these forums that the ground should be under some ten meters of ice. This will make for some boring environement to look at in game. In adiition to this: ten meters of ice lead to no trees, which leads to no animals and no timber to build homes.
Of course you can have ice igloos outside cities, and multi floored building in cities which can be accessed starting from the third floor on.
Snow will stick to buildings walls too, adding more white to the general look of the game.
Any thoughts about this?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:48:20 PM by Gaspard » Logged
Kukkakaali
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 11:18:36 AM »

Some trees are so tall that they would survive under 10 meters of snow and ice, then theres hills and such that could be more cleared off the snow and places where the survivors live
and such could be more open and such, even cleared out of the snow.
But generally everything would be covered on snow, but like in fallout theres nothing outside the towns, all wasteland, its pretty much the
same with the snow, the wasteland is just covered with snow and the town areas are then either buried under snow completely, partly or snow would be cleared out.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 12:27:48 PM »

Ok Kukkakaali, my main concern is: Let's make something which is good to look at. The general look is something that must be agreed upon, just like a combat mechanic or a place setting/quests and as much important.
Anybody else?
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 04:27:31 PM »

Is 10 meters just a number that was thrown out there, or is there reasoning behind it?  3 meters would still have the "we keep digging, and finding nothing but snow" problem, but it would allow for considerably more life to peak through.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 04:38:50 PM »

Be nice if that '10m' of ice can be found somewhere. I can't believe that anything large can live in that environment. Also, the game is meant to cover a large area, so depth would surely be a lot less in the southern areas... (plus, I'd like to see some trees in-game, and a bit of green sometimes!)

Science is open-source religion
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 09:45:35 PM »

@Dave: Yep, there's a reasoning behind the 10 m thikness: arctic/pre arctic area plus nuclear winter plus new ice age coming.
@Maximinus: I do agree with you. A "white hell with nothing to eat and you must go there" environement does fit the game. Some areas should be like that.
I was thinking about Icewind dale I and II. They had a similar setting and the graphic compartement probably had to find a few workarounds.
Anybody doing environmental work?
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 10:10:48 AM »

I'm not doing environmental work atm, but I'm working on a church which is buried under ice/snow. Only the upper part of the clocktower is visible. Raiders (or whoever) have built their home in and around the tower by cutting holes in the roof and building some platforms and stuff. Will post a render when I'm at home.

Some questions:
Is it possible to have a dig site where people hoist soil, sell it and use it to build some small acres on top of the ice surface?

Is the ice everywhere? Are there hills/mountains sticking out of the snow where we could put some trees and where life(animals) would be possible?

Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 11:15:14 AM »

I like your church idea, I think this is how huger towns will be handled. Your questions:
1) yes, under a theorical point of view. Soil is too damn heavy to be carried away in huge quantities. I think it could be done to grow small quantities of plants: mushrooms or cannabis or the like. A site which has been digged out, covered and heated somehow sounds more probable.
2)Read Maximinus' post. I think (and hope) this is how we'll generally manage the thing.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 04:48:22 PM »

10m???  Really?  We should probably consider mapping out "cold" vs "colder" vs "coldest" parts of the world map.

Like I think we can have stuff in the far north of sweden/norway all glaciated... but further south should be more hospitable.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 05:49:08 PM »

Be nice if that '10m' of ice "QUOTE" can be found somewhere

Missed that bold from my post, which changes the whole meaning .

I actually don't think the areas like this are that feasible. RPG's are about interaction, so you need to have places you will meet people. In a fantasy realm that's anywhere, but in PARPG we need to have a realistic place for people to live and 10m of ice isn't it.

Science is open-source religion
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 04:53:13 PM »

I'm with zenbitz: creating a kind of clima map sounds like a good approach to develope the setting and provide guidance especially to the graphics artists. Does anyone feel up to the task?
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 08:34:12 PM »

I'm with zenbitz: creating a kind of clima map sounds like a good approach to develope the setting and provide guidance especially to the graphics artists. Does anyone feel up to the task?

Climate map thread forked to Writing forum: http://forums.parpg.net/index.php?topic=224.0

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: