Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: A start on the HUD  (Read 8307 times)
Bretzel13
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: May 26, 2009, 05:59:01 AM »

This is my start on the HUD. The first screenshot is of the main menu and HUD. The second one shows how the inventory image button in the bottom right becomes an image of an open backpack (thanks to Sirren again) when the inventory is open. Since this is definitely not close to the final thing, I will not commit this to the SVN for a while.

Image 1:

Image 2:

Please give me some comments/suggestions,
Bretzel
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 12:27:26 PM »

"Since this is definitely not close to the final thing, I will not commit this to the SVN for a while."
SVN is not for finished things, as long as it works, you should put it in! Smiley

I don't understand what Action 1 2 3 4 mean (is it the log message area?)
I like the inventory menu, however I think that 1. there should be room for a rotating image of the character (its cool to see how you look) and 2. since weapons play probably a larger role than other items, they should have two large areas below the rest IMHO.

We also need an auto-sort button for ordering inventory by type Smiley
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 02:52:05 PM »

I do agree with qubodup: Weapon slots should more important. And the torso one too. I also second the "look at your character" idea, even I think think it's a secondary feature.
I know this is a WIP but I'm kinda concerned about the inventory slots. Its number I mean. If we implement a crafting system then probably the character will never be able to carry the stuff he/she needs. Don't even think we're not going to do it: as soon as we've got a scripting engine then it's a simple matter of making the various items recipes.
Another thing: How is attack going to be handled? I mean we need an interface to activate weapons modes.
P.S. I'll make a belt pouch image, if you need it.
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 03:21:08 PM »

I know this is a WIP but I'm kinda concerned about the inventory slots. Its number I mean.
the inventory can be made scrollable.
Another thing: How is attack going to be handled? I mean we need an interface to activate weapons modes.
I would say: when in doubt: do it like fallout. I can't guarantee that this is a popular idea Smiley
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 03:26:52 PM »

That's what I was thinking.. The point is that as far as interface is concerned the general trend (here and about other games) leads towards less intrusive interfaces than fallout's. Have a look at the Commandos' one in our wiky, just to give an example. And for the record, I'm inclined towards a more modern interface too.
Bretzel13
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 04:41:58 PM »

The action 1, 2, etc is the log box.

At first I did have larger weapon slots, but then there's the problem of when you drag something from the main inventory, you have to scale the image to the new dimensions before "dropping it" in that spot. I don't know how, but we could scale it. The issue with scaling it, is of course a distorted image. The only other way to do it is to have two images for each weapon icon.

I like the 2D character too, and I will work on implementing that. Could you help me with the images Sirren?

Thanks,
Bretzel
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 12:10:04 AM »

I think we need two different images in this case. As a general rule you can get fair results when making an image smaller, you can't get good result when doing the contrary. Another alternative is a full image for the active weapon and a detail of the item for the inventory- Baldurs' Gate stile, swords for instance.
Which images do you need? Character or item? Or both? Which size in pixels for items?
Bretzel13
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 05:37:35 PM »

Sorry for the delayed response time

I think at this point, all I need is a picture of the character. It would be 200x350. I'll see how that works, and I can just scale it myself.

Thanks,
Bretzel
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 06:45:49 PM »

This is cut to size. If you need something different, or a grayscale one, or anything please let me know. (Yes, it's the half model you find in the rendering setup .Blend file)

* Character.png (46.42 KB, 200x350 - viewed 509 times.)
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 01:53:41 PM »

Hi bretzel

Code looks good, pity that pychan kinda sucks in the looks dept :-(

Looked into any chance of skinning it yet?

Science is open-source religion
Bretzel13
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 05:11:40 PM »

Looked into any chance of skinning it yet?

Not yet, but I'll talk to Unknown horizons and ZeroProjekt and see how they did it.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 05:42:53 PM »

Bretzel looked into it and it seems that pychan is VERY skin-nable, though in the extreme case: we can overlay a 2d image of our own design.

It might mean our HUD is not very animated and button based, but that's a good swap for letting us the look we want.

Investigations are on-going but it looks positive to me  Smiley

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 07:33:11 PM »

What I would like to see, would be a "human model" next to the inventory.

If you look at the picture on top, you see that you have the various slots, but it
would be nice if those slots could be connected to a "human model", so that
you also visually see what things would cover which specific slot/spot

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 12:15:05 PM »

I have one request for the gui: give me the option to hide parts or all of it (pressing the right buttons, like esc or i[nventory] should still pop up the appropriate menus/windows though)
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 02:26:36 PM »

I have one request for the gui: give me the option to hide parts or all of it (pressing the right buttons, like esc or i[nventory] should still pop up the appropriate menus/windows though)

Maybe possible, bretzel is the man to answer since the GUI is his code.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: