Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Finished and WIPs - Zimble's 3D stuff  (Read 19005 times)
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2009, 08:54:09 PM »

Tried something in blender again.
Today I wanted to know how to align objects to curves (the "rails") and how to make some simple cables.

Cables are done by applying a circle as a bevel object to a path. Rails are bent using the curve modifier in blender.

Packed all this in a small underground scene. (viewport/lights is not the parpg rendering setup).

I think I'll take this as some kind of concept sketch and will try to model some ISO tiles/walls/objects which fit into this scenario.

Windmill now with correct rendering setup:

Some early tests:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:07:46 PM by Gaspard » Logged

shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 09:53:37 PM »

sweet! you're putting me to shame Grin

I hate signatures.
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 09:07:14 AM »

Mmh, I could upload some screens of my various attempts to model an UAZ-Hunter pickup, to make you feel much better  Grin

Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 05:10:21 PM »

Since we rather need some outside buildings than a subway I started working on a church.
The entire church is covered in snow except for the clock tower.
In the tower some raiders have built their new home. They added some platforms and defenses and have a nice living Smiley

This is WIP & not iso

From the outside:

From the inside. Nothing in here right now. Gets a second floor and some stairs and objects.

Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 05:48:19 PM »

A cathedral would be a perfect opportunity to build down, since the structure could possibly hold up under the weight of the snow, plus catacombs. Smiley

I was actually thinking of this just last night (because writing cathedral music would be a lot of fun).  A few notable cathedrals stand out in our decided area.

The Alexander Nevsky cathedral in Tallinn http://www.flat3.co.uk/europe/pages/981044.htm
The Haapsalu Castle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haapsalu_Castle (We could play on the White Lady myth, with this one.)
The Riga Cathedral http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riga_Cathedral
The St.Nicholas Orthodox Maritime Cathedral, aka The St. Nicholai Sea Cathedral, in Liepaja http://www.liepaja.lv/page/3145&action=description&t_id=61
The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, in Kaliningrad http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_Christ_the_Saviour_(Kaliningrad)
The Vilnius Cathedral http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilnius_Cathedral

Hope this helps. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 06:09:58 PM by Dave Matney » Logged
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:03:04 PM »

I can imagine that it would not be very energy-effective (hard work) to dig through the ice, rather than building igloos.. But even if, then let's just say that someone who is religious would still do it or someone hoping to find something of value..

About image resources: If you find a wikipedia page, you should then click on an image, then click on the Wikimedia commons description page and then click at the bottom on the category of the object in the picture. For example: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Riga_Dome_Cathedral

PS: I like the idea and I think this model looks decent Smiley It needs just much more rubble in the church from people sleeping/housing there
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 07:07:13 PM by qubodup » Logged
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 08:52:35 PM »

Thanks for the links. I'll have a look into this.

or someone hoping to find something of value..

Thats what I thought. You have a lot of spare time if your guarding an outpost in an arctic desert. So why don't you use your axe for something more useful than looking grim and scare away passing scavengers.

Oh, and btw: The church was not my idea. Someone posted a sketch here some time ago. Just couldn't find the thread anymore

It needs just much more rubble

Rubble is on it's way Smiley
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:56:13 PM by Zimble » Logged

shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 04:56:20 AM »

its looking great, it reminds me of something from an old rpg, like a gateway to some magnificent (or horrific) hidden city. keep it up!

I hate signatures.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 02:08:26 PM »

That first piccy makes me wish that we could use a seperate render for each map  Tongue

Science is open-source religion
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »

If you can split that windmill file up into 2 gfx, the windmill and the shadow, it can go into the game today zimble.

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 01:33:12 PM »

One question from the forums where we advertize: how many polys got the windmill Zimble?
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 02:57:07 PM »

Blender shows 1138 Faces. Don't know how to display tris in blender.

And if someone could shed some light on me how to seperate the shadows from the image, I would be very grateful Wink

I thought I could just save the alpha channel to a seperate file but had no luck (using PaintShopPro)

shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 11:20:16 PM »

already had to go through that, just render the top without a floor, and then render the top as cast only and the floor as a shadow receiver only, then you will have two images all perfect and junk!  Tongue

I hate signatures.
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 10:22:24 AM »

Ah, thanks shrew. Got it.

While we're at it: What's the proper way to arrange the diffrent parts of a model?

Make all parts(pipes, beams, wind wheel,...) one big object(windmill) and then texture this face by face?
Make every part a single objects and properly arrange them in the scene?
Or just make one big object and only make the reusable parts as seperate objects?

Edit: Shadow was wrong. Attached correct one

* wind_Shadow.png (35.29 KB, 212x266 - viewed 443 times.)

* wind_noShadow.png (54.61 KB, 212x266 - viewed 461 times.)

* wind_Shadow.png (16.76 KB, 212x266 - viewed 425 times.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 12:42:47 PM by Zimble » Logged

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 12:20:47 PM »

Cool. I'll add this to the test map tomorrow to check out how we do shadows.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to: