Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: WIPs - improvised melee weapon concepts  (Read 11806 times)
zeli
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:18:43 PM »

After a little chat with mvbarracuda, he pointed out that some basic low-tech weaponry would be welcome. So here's a small starter:

It visualises a few improvised crafted weapons made entirly out of junk of the apocalyps! (except for the fire axe)

drawing1: -Represents a basic handhammer that has been tuned with an metal plate covered with bolts and spikes.
                  -Shows a hand where 2 leather plates have been straped on to, covered with barbed wire. Good (and painful) for HtH combat!

drawing2: -The old fire axe, is, well... simply too old. It used to be smooth and shiny. Now it's covered with shards and rust.               
                  -The item in the right top corner consists of an 1 meter long metal bar where spikes were inserted in the holes, all finely attached with some handy     
                   ducktape. The tape has also been applied at the grabbing area for comfort and a increased grip.
                  -To conclude: there's the concrete slinger. Simply made out of a solid chain attached to a 10 kilo heavy cube of concrete. Not very accurate but a
                   succesfull hit will surely knock out even the thoughest of enemy's. (do I doubt it will ever be implented ingame I liked the idea.)

* conceptWeapons01L.jpg (64.06 KB, 875x1000 - viewed 619 times.)

* conceptWeapons2.jpg (98.46 KB, 775x1450 - viewed 602 times.)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:48:54 PM by Gaspard » Logged
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:45:36 PM »

All of them look quite good to me :-) Nice work zeli!

Didn't anyone on the team got experience in modeling weapons? Would be nice to see 3d versions of them in the future :-)
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:17:26 PM »

Nice concepts, and I expecially like the hammer. And yes, I agree that at least melee weapons should me made out of junk. I was thinking about a sword/falchion like weapon made out a steel supporting beam..
MVb, I can model the weapons I use for my characters, but I'm not currently able to make an inventory-fit texture. Only fit for isometric, I.E. you don't see a thing. If it's only for the models I can do and upload them (I've got huge problems with firearms, modern rifles expecially). Please just tell me. You'll have to wait a day or two, actually.
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:31:27 AM »

Looks pretty good!
Kukkakaali
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 07:48:51 AM »

Nice concepts, but i think that they are a bit too post-nuclear fantasy style, all that shit with duck tape and all.

I think that peaple wouldnt build stuff like that but rather find food and such. And then just use the old piece of pipe
that they found previously because its light handy in some situations and works nearly as well in a combat situation as a giant spiked hammer.
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »

but then again, if we were making an ultra-realistic game, everyone would either be dead, dying due to the radiation passed down from their forefathers, or staying at home, cause its safer there. These are good and visually exiting weapons, if only to have more eyecandy Tongue
Zeli: looks good, if we could get a few weapons in the same class (ie: bat, ax, large pipe, sword) that all act similar animation and damage wise. and even better would be to have a weapon and then variations just so there can be a mass consensus on what direction we are taking, or if everybody just happens to like that hammer for no reason (I do) anyways, cheers! I look forward to what comes next Grin

I hate signatures.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 12:02:23 PM »

Kukkaakali, I agree only in part. Raiders and guards need reliable tools for their trade, they can't depend on what they find. I do agree that the concepts are a bit on the fantasy side, though.
Kukkakaali
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 12:10:21 PM »

As eyecandy and visual side those weapons work well, i can agree on that and on the realism i think that the
game should try to get on a point of realism where the world is convincing but still can be playable.

Kukkaakali, I agree only in part. Raiders and guards need reliable tools for their trade, they can't depend on what they find. I do agree that the concepts are a bit on the fantasy side, though.

Well for sure theres always exceptions, like guards and such who have weapons specialy designed for the duty.
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 03:58:10 PM »

Something that was mentioned in the Zombie Survival Guide was the best weapons are those that are also tools, and I think the same holds true for a post apocalyptic game, as well.  The hammer and the axe are obviously suitable as both tools and weapons (though I'd hate to be hammering  with the flat side and come up too quick and catch my face with those nasty spikes).

That said, not everyone will think the same way, so weapons that are just weapons seem likely.
zeli
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 04:33:31 PM »

fantasy.... I was scared of hearing that reaction. (with fantasy I suppose people refer to the hand hammer and the metal bar)
As indeed that hammer looks a bit warhammer like. Still, let me insure you it wasn't my source of inspiration.

My explanation for these weapons:
When a raider prepares for battle, I think he wants to look scary as hell. destroying the enemy mentally with just a scary look (So for me its not about being efficient). Thats why they start adding pointy items to it, start painting it and add all other sort of freaky stuff. Of course these weapons are one out of thousands and are very personal weapons modified by the holder.

But I'll sure be more carefull in the future when designing items Smiley
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 08:20:27 PM »

Nice concepts, but i think that they are a bit too post-nuclear fantasy style, all that shit with duck tape and all.

I think that peaple wouldnt build stuff like that but rather find food and such. And then just use the old piece of pipe
that they found previously because its light handy in some situations and works nearly as well in a combat situation as a giant spiked hammer.

I like them, although the spikes on the hammer are a little over the top... wouldn't one spike be enough?    Also - what you say is reasonable for resaonable type people... some NPCs are going to be psychopathic bandit types, who I think WOULD make giant spiked hammers for the hell of it.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 08:21:34 PM »

but then again, if we were making an ultra-realistic game, everyone would either be dead, dying due to the radiation passed down from their forefathers,

False understanding of radiation levels delivered by nuclear attack.

or staying at home, cause its safer there.

True

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 08:24:59 PM »

Nice concepts, and I expecially like the hammer. And yes, I agree that at least melee weapons should me made out of junk. I was thinking about a sword/falchion like weapon made out a steel supporting beam.

Well a BEAM seems kind of big for a sword... maybe a truck leaf spring?

I will keep this stuff in mind when working on the combat system...

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 08:30:35 PM »

... wouldn't one spike be enough?

this line made me double with laughter n_n I counted the ones in the drawing and, in my head, replaced them with a single one

some NPCs are going to be psychopathic bandit types, who I think WOULD make giant spiked hammers for the hell of it.

what would you do, when you're a seventeen-year-old post-bombs-born who'd just run away from home in the middle of no-where, you joined up with like-minded teenagers and find a box of nails. What do kids do ? They hit nails into stuff, that's what they do ! At least when PlayStation is no more D:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:32:43 PM by Gaspard » Logged
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 02:00:51 AM »

Very nice looking concept. The "hand" is superfluous in the title though Wink

Also, these discussion about realism  Roll Eyes - my recommendation is to imagine you are the guy who builds it. then simulate different positions and state of minds. For example: a gal would use her free time she got after raiding somebody (and not having to worry about food for some days) to improve hes weapon. If she's sadistic, she will put spikes on it so it hurts, rather than making it more deadly. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: