Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Overhauling the red area story  (Read 8672 times)
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »

I've spent last few days thinking on what concepts we would (not?) like to see implemented in the game (pertaining to the "red area" only). Please find my preliminary thoughts below, before I actually start developing them. THese thoughts only include the major theme of the adventure in the red area (this means that other minor quests will be discussed/developed later). Your comments thereto are highly appreciated.

1) The world will be bipolar with minor factions in between. To avoid any unnecessary ambiguity, "bipolar" would mean the co-existence of two large powerful factions which rival each other in obtaining best access to the Strategic Assets (please see the wiki page for explanation) and consequently, power and living space. One of these opposing factions will be placed near Kaliningrad ("faction1"), and other - farther to the North ("faction2") (please note, I avoid stressing any nationalistic notes here).

2) Ultimate goal of each of these factions would be to attract as many survivors as possible. However, these survivors would not want to join either of these factions for nothing, although they will most likely reconsider their views to follow the one who would offer them the Strategic Asset(-s) in return. For the purposes of the game, that Strategic Asset would be the electic energy.

3) Recently, it has been discovered that a piece of pre-war technology had been buried somewhere in the snows of Baltic. Particularly, this discovery leads everybody to believe that a dormant yet functional (nuclear?) power plant is located somewhere in the snows. Although both factions know that the power plant does exist, they still do not know where exactly it is. Needless to say, that both factions would cut each other's throats to find out the exact location of the power plant. And this is where the main protagonist enters the scene. The latter will have the following choices:

- help either faction1 or faction2 find/activate the power plant;
- blow it up (for those evil types);
- capture it for himself (with a group of followers, of course).

4) One of the means to locate the power plant would be to use the pre-war satellites (their usage has been proposed elsewhere in the forum).

5) Although there are no subways in ELL (in Kaliningrad either), you may have heard that USSR/Russia are notorious for their metropolitan, designed as the antinuclear bombshelters (exactly like the vaults in Fallout), do you think it might be appropriate for us to introduce them in the game nonetheless?

6) Tallinn TV tower is intact, however it needs major overhaul to be able to transmit anything. The main protagonist would be able to participate in this quest either.

7) Tallinn's lake Ulemiste is frozen, yet it is the source of healthy drinking water. A mad project to melt it?

8) There will be other, less stronger factions as well. These are:

a) Ski raiders. A group of nomads who live by raiding post-war settlements.

b) Woolen mutants aka "yetis". A faction of mutated people living in icy caverns. Their position would be similar to the one of the ghouls in Fallout.

c) EU survivors. Their interest in the red area would be to establish/control trade routes (similar to Hansa states).

d) Northern tribes. They can survive in extreme cold with more ease than the others. They are not too technologically advanced, but they are numerous compared to what is left of the former peoples of Northern Europe.

EDIT:

The key difference between the Northern tribes and the Ski Raiders is that the former ones are real-world indeginous peoples which live in the North and whose lifestyle in PARPG doesn't critically change after WWIII. They are peaceful lot, and are neutral in the terms of the game. As opposed, the Ski Raiders are actually the raiders as they are known in Fallout.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 11:32:20 AM by egalor » Logged
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 11:12:57 PM »

Underground passages, of sorts, aren't totally unrealistic.  Caves tend to maintain their temperature, as soil provides great insulation, and are often warmer than the outside air during winter (the deeper you go, the warmer it gets, too).  Also, caves provide simple shelter, which can easily be adapted for long-term use.

It wouldn't be unbelievable, then, for some civilizations to either reside completely inside natural caves, or to dig tunnels from one building to another.  Also, any idiot with a shovel can "build down," so to speak, where in -20 degrees it would be tough to build up.  Basements are more likely than two story buildings.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 11:13:39 PM »

Hum, let's see:
1: I agree with that.  Under a scripting point of view I wouldn't add more than 2 main factions anyway. Under a story-related point of view a third a third faction could spice things up. I'd go for bipolarity though.
2: I mostly agree. I'm leaving this for the storywriting guys.
3: source for a crateload of major/sub quests. I like the idea.
4: A glimpse of the pre-war world. I think it shouldn't be the only way to actually find it (character skills related too).
5: Add the subway. In early 1980's cold war was still on. This game takes place in the nightmare which wasn't.
6: Wild propaganda anyone?
7:
8: mandatory, IMHO. And:
8b: I was one of those who proposed the yety thing. I don't know. A sci-fi turn should be discussed.
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:27:59 AM »

Thanks for the input!

8b: I was one of those who proposed the yety thing.

I'm just collecting/recycling the ideas spotted on the forums (apart from inventing something new, of course), so I do apologize if I don't credit somebody for their perfect ideas (that doesn't mean that the credit doesn't belong to them anyway). After all, that's our common project. Smiley

A sci-fi turn should be discussed.

What do you actually mean here?
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 11:32:45 AM »

Hello.
Well, as I see things we have two possibilities:
A): *Fully* realistic game set after a nuclear war (only fictional point). Let's call it "political fiction", in the history we know something went really wrong..
B): *Partly* realistic game set after a nuclear war. You can add  mutants, robots, energy weapons and everything you want.
Due to my gaming/modding background I actually tend towards the B option.
I feel that you can make a game which only can be either A or B.. There can be many shades in B of course, and probably in A as well. Well, I'm just trying to explain.
Anyway, it's up to us to decide the general mood of this game.
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 12:35:32 PM »

B): *Partly* realistic game set after a nuclear war. You can add  mutants, robots, energy weapons and everything you want.
Due to my gaming/modding background I actually tend towards the B option.

Sirren, I think I get your point.

What does everybody think about that "B" option?
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 02:52:54 PM »

I tend towards the A option, myself, if only because I feel the B option has been overdone somewhat in computer games.

Science is open-source religion
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 03:01:08 PM »

Same for me. I tend to the B option but I'm voting for the A one.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »

A
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 05:59:13 PM »

A

And the award for 'shortest post ever' goes to Gaspard  Grin

Science is open-source religion
bhayden
Community member

hayden767@gmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 09:27:22 PM »

I'd prefer to play a game like A, due to the fact that it is a little different spin on the whole 'post-nuclear war' idea. Especially since we are coming from a lot of Fallout influences (which has the mutants and what not).
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 07:26:43 AM »

Ok. I'd also appreciate if you could comment on my first post here as well Smiley
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »

So, finally found time to read more thoroughly and to comment on it.

1) Usually this is the way to go, but I'd agree with Sirren about adding that 3rd, perhaps a semi-big faction.

Something like a big 'evil'/aggressive faction opposing a large pretty much neutral faction that also sees the Resource as something worth fighting for and then a third slightly smaller selfless goody-two-shoes kind of party that opposes the 'evil'/aggressive faction in any case scenario - be it a race to forgotten pre-war tech or not.

2) This is logical and cool and would actually reflect the (our) real world at the beginning of the new millennium when we (the residents of Earth Tongue) are slowly but steadily steering towards the yet unavoidable energy crisis.

Also would be a kind of hommage to Mad Max Road Warrior (which had oil instead of electricity; though - also a necessary resource). Definitely a plus in my eyes .)

3) I'll second Sirren on this one. I included a possible source for this kind of info in my location/area proposal in under Writing forum.

4) This should then be part of a larger quest. Perhaps getting the TV tower online to hack into a still working satellite for which you would need to get the codes from another location.

5) This should be considered, my vote is definitely for a subway - a good source of survivors and adventure, anytime !

6) mentioned my thought in point 4. it would also be a pretty good outpost and semi-easy to defend (unless it is besieged for a longer period of time - rations and water running out)

7) melting the whole thing at once ? Cheesy Melting it wholly even in some time would be pretty science-fictionish. Although there could reside a smaller faction that specializes in melting drinking water and trading/selling it to others. Sort of like the Water Merchants in Fallout 1 Hub.

Cool Oh, definitely.

I'm thinking of 8a and 8d being one and the same - the advancing Ice Age which is the result of the civilized folk's wars results in the nomads travelling further south to find better grazing grounds for their herds of reindeer (or other animal) and finding only snow and ice in place of tundra. Thus to survive they resort to raiding - the snow and the weather being in their advance beacuse they are more skilled in surviving and travelling in these conditions.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:40:20 PM by Gaspard » Logged
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 08:45:58 PM »

nice story.

I am (as anyone who read my early posts) a clear "A", although I think we can sneak bits of "B" in if it's done cleverly.  For example, "hairy mutants" could just be a tribe that dresses in yak fur jackets and spreads rumors of their ferocity.

Subway is fine to slip in there... or if you don't want to bother with trains, just have it be an actual bomb shelter system for the government, frantically created in the last days before the bombs fell.

If some Kaliningrader calls us on it, post release, I will buy him a beer.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 08:53:34 PM »

Just to add my 2 cents as well: I prefer option A with some small splashes of B where it is appropriate. Something along the lines of zenbitz' proposal: fantasy elements that turn out to be masked reality to deter people from entering a certain region.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: