Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sound FX? (License related)  (Read 7388 times)
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: May 11, 2009, 03:13:54 PM »

Just something I was thinking lately.
What are we going to do with sound effects?
Record our own? Anybody with a AK 47 in his bedroom?
Buy some stock effects?
Any free libraries around?
Anyway, this isn't something I researched.. I simply wanted to know if anybody is going to look into the matter.

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 03:58:50 PM »

Not too sure about it, would be nice to get some feedback from any interested audio artist.

The plan is to use CC 3.0 BY-SA for all audio assets as well but it might be hard to find any samples that permit commercial usage as well.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 04:20:27 PM »

The commercial usage issue was exactly what I was thinking about. Let's wait for some audio artists They'll probably have more of an insight about the whole matter.
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 04:33:24 PM »

I'll look into it... I've got quite a few royalty free sound effects, though most of them are wooshes and stuff, but I also have recording equipment and friends with quite a few guns (even one with an AK, though it's only semi auto)... Also, there are a couple sites with user-generated sounds that can be downloaded and used for free. (They might want a link in the credits.)

As for purchasing sounds, my thoughts on that are wait until it's closer to the release date to decide, to see what all sound effects you still need.  Things like squeaky hinges, footsteps, and a lot of nature sounds are pretty easy to come by or record yourself.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 10:36:17 PM »

Ah, I knew it! A resourceful man. I must admit that sometimes you american scare the *el* out of me, and I'm talking about the AK part (1).
Seriously, just working for the sound compartement will be a huge deal of work.
The idea of buying something was, well, just an idea. Suddenly I remembered an adverstising I saw on TV in Italy some 18 months ago.. There was a closing door FX which was used in Bethesda's Daggerfall more than a decade ago. Sure about that. I went; "how on earth are we going wiyh this stuff.."

(1 Note: Apparently in Switzerland those who served in the army actually bring their automatic weapons at home after their service ends. National home defense reasons.)

P.S. I read it's going to be your fourth anniversary. My congratulations.
Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:45:24 PM »

I love that daggerfall sound, and I've always wondered how people get away with using it.

As it stands right now, if I do any sound design for this game, it'll fall more into the realms of Foley than anything else, as I'm not so great at generating sound from nothing.
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 01:14:29 PM »

Let's see.

http://pdsounds.tuxfamily.org/
http://forum.freegamedev.net/index.php?t=msg&th=2285

US Military audio/video material can usually be used for scrapping gun sounds.
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 05:11:02 AM »

as long as we get a few, we wont need many to get started. My dad has a few guns and my uncle is a class 3 gun dealer (he sells cool stuff) so if I get in touch with either of them soon, I'll bring my recorder. Grin

I hate signatures.
Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 04:05:02 PM »

I've been reading up on recording firearms, and they're hard.  You can't mic up close because of how loud they are.

Your average gunshot will be a mix of recordings of the dry fire, the shot itself, and the tail (how the shot rebounds off the scenery), as well as foley sounds if you want to worry about cocking and reloading.  Since we're going for 3rd person, from some distance, the dry fire and the foley won't be as important as the sound of the shot and the tail.

Give this a read for more information on recording firearm sounds: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1746/weapons_sound_effects_recording_.php

I have access to everything I'd need to record the firearms, I just worry it's something that's out of my league.
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 10:42:57 PM »

well, now that I check it, recording gun sounds is complicated!
here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqPot2mqHTg
Recording for Call of duty:World at War

Ive heard a lot of people commenting on how crappy some fully recorded games sound. Some of the Tom Clancy series sucks, they sound like toys. Angry
dunno if we could get away with realistic gun sounds anyways, maybe go with a more "Hollywood approach" it would give us more freedom and also get around an audiences mind block of 'Hollywood or absolutely real' requirements for sound fx.
dunno. Undecided

I hate signatures.
Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 11:12:56 PM »

So, for right now, I'd suggest we just get stock gun sounds.  If any of us feel more comfortable recording guns in the future, closer to the release of the game, we can think about it then.
Dave Matney
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 01:31:07 AM »

freesound.org is under Sample Plus 1.0, which is a sampling license that seems to have been weeded out (there's information on it here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/)

I was wondering how that works with CC 3.0?

They have some mid-fidelity gun sounds, good enough for PARPG (you only need high-fidelity on an FPS, IMO), as well as some gun foley, but that's something I'm actually capable of recording.
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 02:02:36 AM »

freesound.org is under Sample Plus 1.0, which is a sampling license that seems to have been weeded out (there's information on it here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/)

I was wondering how that works with CC 3.0?
We talked about it on IRC:
< qubodup> Matney: no, the sampling plus license doesn't work with any free license
< qubodup> 1. check out this pack http://www.freesound.org/packsViewSingle.php?id=4366
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 03:06:18 PM »

So, for right now, I'd suggest we just get stock gun sounds.  If any of us feel more comfortable recording guns in the future, closer to the release of the game, we can think about it then.
Easy. Just record yourself shouting "Pew, pew!"  Wink

Let's fight some ballerinas.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: