Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: WIPs - "Sirren" AKA Stefano's Characters Dump  (Read 29537 times)
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 11:25:31 PM »

Don't worry, code can be fixed. Bad art is forever.
Speacking of which.. Ladies and Gentlemen we have something which could be mistaken for a raindeer. Simply don't look at it too close. (Any ladies around?)
Texturing is still a WIP, but I managed to test-rig the model. The stand Idle sequence won't be a problem. The walk one is another matter. Just a matter of time anyway.

* My_Raindeer.PNG (114.37 KB, 487x519 - viewed 571 times.)
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 02:00:43 AM »

Looking sweet! And you don't have to be anatomically  perfect  Wink

Science is open-source religion
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 07:11:07 AM »

That looks nice. Now just add a deathray and some laser eyes and you're done Smiley

j/k

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 09:01:50 PM »

Raindeer looks good to me :-) You got a hand for organic models Sirren!
zeli
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 09:44:40 PM »

Reindeers I should have known Smiley
I think It would be rather neat if the reindeers would replace the function of a mule: drag caravans and carry goods.
or did you intend to make it entirly wild?
(geuss using it as a horse, for riding, would also be kinda cool. But sounds like a pain in the ass to make and a little silly now I start to think of it Smiley )

Really nice work with the modeling btw!
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 10:51:26 PM »

Thanks for your compliments guys. The model's not perfect (legs and hooves expecially) but it's the third attempt and it came out nicely. I'd say that under an anatomical point of view it's about 80/85% correct. I'm rigging it as I write. I should be able to upload a stand idle animation in a few hours.
The idea of raindeers or horses used as mounts/mules isn't that bad IMHO. In-game vehicles haven't been decided yet, but they're taken in consideration.
Thanks again for your appreciation, Gents.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 12:46:51 AM »

*Another* shameless bump. This time not without a reason:
http://rapidshare.de/files/47137221/Deer_Test.rar.html
This contains a test Stand Idle animation for my raindeer. I'm not sure about my lighting, shadow orientation, animation timing and sorry, it's too late in the night to understand how the SVN repository works..
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 02:29:05 AM »

Here it is: I like this!

Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 11:58:54 AM »

Don't look too closely at it, I hadn't enough time to tweack my animation.. Well, a few assorted things, with no particular order:
This animation is 15 frames long and is 1,3 megs in size. Too huge? Too huge canvas?
In Fallout Stand Idle is a long animation, it's used to give a particular flavour to a given creature and the length ranges from 10 to 20 (a monster). Generally speacking the rest of the animations is much shorter.
I propose to make a few more test animations and try to establish a maximum length in frames.
This animation plays too fast. It lasts about a second, it should last about two. Are we going to have a way to decide at which speed a given animation will be played?
I thought we could make more than a SI per character, to be played randomly. I don't know, I didn't expect 1,3 meg in size.
Which tool did you use to put your .gif together?
Isometric games tend to be very demanding under the point of view of art assets size. The crew who made Fallout  was bound to stay within a CD size. See their game: 4 wretched cars in the whole game, characters run showing no weapons, one dog sprite, one kid sprite and so on. We're not going to be bound to a cd size, but..
I'm pretty sure the final game size is to be considered, but at which degree?
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 03:06:07 PM »

In answer to your questions:

Changing the animation speed is easy.

I threw together the animation in the GIMP. Going back to it, and tweaking a few variables, I managed to get it down to 55k  Grin

Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 03:14:55 PM »

The .gif or my .pngs?
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »

The gif. But you can cut optimise PNG's as well to some degree (and cropping the image somewhat helped a lot).

Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 03:50:16 PM »

You cropped it? It's 200x200 like the original.
Anyway: I can render it a bit smaller, canvas size could be reduced, but North/S/E/W orientations are longer. The critter has to fit into the canvas.
In Fallout animations sequences "HAD" to start and end with the same frame. It was mandatory to center each animation with the Stand Idle one. Since we're driving centering with an external file, could we cut the last frame out? Or is this going to give centering issues?
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 08:17:42 PM »

That's a good idea, but I'd go for the polar bear. The gorilla isn't viable, not after 20 years in the snow.

Wikipedia: "The Mountain Gorilla has longer and darker hair than other gorilla species, allowing it to live in hot or cold weather and travel into areas where temperatures drop below 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0 degrees Celsius)."

So it's not INSANE for the warmer parts of the map.  It would make sense that lack of normal food would cause it to prey on humans...

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 11:11:23 AM »

We could try then. I don't know story-wise.. Since those who were born after the disaster never knew about gorillas then it may fit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to: