Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Food, Water and Endurance  (Read 10687 times)
eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 10:31:25 PM »

Requiring clothes to not freeze to death sounds like a good idea to me. It makes sense that the clothes you wear affect your character even in a low fantasy setting. I'm all for it gaspard.

I thought about this a bit.  If it's already cold when the game starts, PC already has winter clothes sufficient for non-extreme (example, bad storm) weather.

If you need these clothes to survive, then stripping PC (or NPC) is tantamount to killing him... so why bother to make a rule?

I guess I could imagine an initial quest where you had to get warm clothes... a little silly though if you just keep them the whole game.

If we are really trying to emphasize the hostility of the environment and the bitter cold, keeping track of warmth might be a better choice than sleep or water to explicitly include.

I agree if it is a binary:
warm winter clothes = survival
no winter clothes = instant death

...that the mechanic is not very interesting.

But it doesn't need to be that cut and dried.  If we model temperature at all, it should be more interesting.
  The temperature could vary with location, sheltered valleys and indoors being warmer than exposed elevations etc. Maybe also change via season and weather.
We need to let the player know what was going on... possibly a thermometer on the side of the screen.

Your clothing would collectively have a temperature rating (or some such metric).  If it's insufficient for the weather you don't instantly die, but start too loose stamina/heath and/or consume food at a faster rate.  The difference between your clothing's temperature rating and the temperature would determine the rate that you loose health/whatever.

So the PC would probably start with "warm clothes", but they wouldn't be quite warm enough for all the temperatures he would encounter, thus he would need to upgrade to be perfectly protected, and get some rather rare clothing to be able to trek across the most desolate places.

I'm not saying PARPG should do this... just that if we do deal with temperature it should probably be something like this.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 08:08:17 PM »

^^ some good ideas here.  Also player could "burn fuel" - or even eat a little more -  to make up for some lack of clothing level.
But the bottom line is that the PC should be equipped for "normal" exploration.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: