Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hallo everyone  (Read 8315 times)
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2009, 02:27:42 PM »

Just wanted to say hello.
My name's Zimble, 29 and I'm from germany. I'm mainly a C# programmer (and network administrator in my day job) so these two characteristics are completly useless for the parpg project  Grin
But recently I blew the dust off my blender installation and tried some tutorials again.

I'm trying to get some skills in 3D modelling just for the fun of it. And I thought I just could try to model something for parpg.
So I'll post my attempts here from time to time. Maybe there's something useful to you. Otherwise I'm just a lurker on the forums Wink

(textures are from bildburg.de for testing purposes)

Edit:
Some background info about me
Most of the time i program in C#. Thats what I can do best (besides PHP). But also can do some basic stuff in C (for microcontrollers), bash, pascal, perl, vb.
I've started the work on an own iso game engine some time ago. State machine, basic GUI Components, FO:Tactics tile decoder, pathfinding were working so far but it's all ripped apart and needs a lot of work.
I'll finish my degree in database engineering in about two weeks so I'll hope that I have some time for PARPG and keep interested in the project (one of my major problems).
Day-job is network/system administrator linux and teacher at an IT college (school?).

What I'm doing here:
Being interested and curious. Will try to contribute to the project from time to time in some sort. But better don't count on me Wink
Already downloaded PARPG and played a little with the xml files...

* screen01.jpg (92.53 KB, 640x480 - viewed 563 times.)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 07:50:24 AM by Zimble » Logged

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 02:43:19 PM »

That sure is SWEET!  Grin

Any chance of a render without the man and with a transparent background? Then I could put it in game!

Science is open-source religion
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 02:45:21 PM »

Welcome on the forums Zimble!

If you want to rerender it anyway, please render it without the ground tile. This way the object can be freely placed on all different kind of grounds.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 03:00:36 PM »

Welcome Zimble.
I think I can speack for everybody: more, please.
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 03:37:37 PM »

Uh, thanks.  Shocked
Here's the waterpump again w/ alpha channel and w/o the man:

The textures on this model are copyrighted by www.bildburg.de. Their Licence states that you need to ask for permission if you want to use them ingame. Possibly need to replace these...

I'll add some more detail to the model once I find out how stuff works in blender (these are only simple shapes - need to figure out some more stuff like displacement maps, lattice, etc...)

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 04:07:49 PM »

Thanks for such a quick turn-around.

I'll let barra have a think about license issues before I put it in game.

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 04:13:57 PM »

Looks great to me Zimble :-)

Just checked the license at the bildburg website and it seems like we can't use the current form of the windmill. The reason is that bildburg doesn't allow commercial usage, while our agreed upon license for all assets CC BY-SA 3.0 permits commercial usage as well.

If you're interested in the details why we allowed commercial usage of our content, please check this thread:
http://forums.parpg.net/index.php?topic=39.0
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 04:57:31 PM »

Thanks for clarifying this, Barra.
I'll see if I can make some own rust textures in gimp/photoshop. That's probably something I can do  (though I am no pixel artist).

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »

Maybe Lamoot or Sirren could help with any links to open source texture databases that comply with our chosen license?
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 04:27:13 AM »

I can get a rust texture together for you, if that's all that's needed.

Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 07:36:23 AM »

Thanks maximinus, but not necessary any more. I replaced the textures with ones from Blender materials for now.

Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 11:23:41 PM »

I found this link through XSIbase.com:
http://www.sharecg.com/b/6/Textures?PSID=b6b9766d4435be1d46d2603f8c7533ee
Their database can be sorted per license, so you must pay attention to what you download. I didn't check it carefully, but a "unrestricted" search gave me a lot of stuff, for example. I'm positive there should be similar sites around..
In the end I think that for my characters I'll simply make procedural textures and edit them by hand. Probably it's the safest way, even if it could take longer.
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 07:56:23 AM »

Thanks Sireen. I'll take a look into this.

btw: Updated 1st post w/ some info

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 04:18:18 PM »

Have to say the first render looks better than the one with the blender materials. I'll try and get this on the current map, if for nothing more than inspiration alone!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: