Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Political correctness?  (Read 5669 times)
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: April 29, 2009, 12:47:57 PM »

All, please excuse me if somebody feels personally offended somehow by this topic.

I'm wondering, should I draw a veil over the "politically incorrect" yet contradictory real world themes/references in my writings, or better not? Examples that come to mind first are:

accusations of certain States for giving birth to neonacism;
black nationalism in South Africa;
recognition of the ongoing worldwide muslim-christian conflict;
persuasive argumentation against the fact that only jews suffered in Holocaust;
denying that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golodomor was caused deliberately;
other sensitive political issues?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:52:25 PM by egalor » Logged
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:07:05 PM »

We should avoid self-censorship and rather go for a believable writing and therefore game world. E.g. racism exists so why shouldn't there be characters who are racists? First and foremost the attitudes should be realistic; the attitudes in the society should be based on the actual structures of the society.

I propose to simply start writing things down without applying any self-censorship. As all output of the team and therefore the writing department is public, we can still consider to apply changes in case any team member or outsider finds some of the writing offensive. We should discuss changes for more political correctness on a case by case basis, but stick to a freedom of speech approach in general.
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:33:49 PM »

Good to see, that at least project manager is tolerant Smiley

Although, it's not simply the matter of speech censorship I referred to, but I think I get the point. My only fear is to see my material thrown away due to the subject.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:48:19 PM »

We should in general try to avoid out of place political uncorrectness. If it's just in PARPG to provoke but has nothing to do with the story and the structures of the socities of the game world, it should not make it into the game.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 03:47:39 PM »

I don't mind what is written as long as written to make a good game. If you write to cause offense only, then I'd say that's a fail.

Case in point, one of my favorite books is the 120 days of Sodom by the Marquis de Sade - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_120_Days_of_Sodom - highly offensive, but a damn good read (and almost all about politics, as well).

Science is open-source religion
eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 03:14:02 AM »

...My only fear is to see my material thrown away due to the subject.

Hmm, i think it's unlikely that all your material would be grounded in some controversial item, so the worst case scenario would be that we'd want something changed, not throw the whole thing out.

We should in general try to avoid out of place political uncorrectness. If it's just in PARPG to provoke but has nothing to do with the story and the structures of the socities of the game world, it should not make it into the game.

An elaboration on what i think mvBarracuda is saying:

I think the main thing to watch out for is writers who are more focused on driving home an opinion about historical group/event X, than telling a story. Not that the writer is supposed to (or really ever could) nullify all his opinions, but if for instance, "black nationalism in South Africa", was a major aspect a writers storyline, for this game which takes place is post-apocalyptic norther europe, then it is likely that the writer has an axe to grind, and has let propagandizing overtake his storytelling.  We don't want that.

In a setting like this there's room for a lot of npcs with a lot of different opinions/ideas, some of those opinions not politically correct.  But few of those npcs should be depicted as wholly noble or entirely evil.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 01:25:10 PM »

I think that nails it pretty much eleazzaar :-) Couldn't have said it better. First and foremost the story should be reasonable and realistic, so all elements found in the game should make sense from a rational point of view. If they don't make sense we should rather add explanations until they make sense or drop the idea.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: