Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: WIPs and Finished - shrew81's Environment art  (Read 38636 times)
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2009, 07:38:21 AM »

oooohhhh, drag... so the only way to have raised objects (eg: bridges, stairs, etc.) is to have it facing the camera, right? up and down... man! I'll try to think around it... stairs facing the camera is kinda cheezy, you see it in almost all handheld games... any way to displace the x and y coords when the character is approaching a tile that has a larger z value?, hmmm there should be an algorithm that should do that, would it be impossible to just add a certain amount to the y value (on screen, or x & y value for fife space) for every predefined amount of a z value in a tile(or a height map!)? wooo this is why I hated programming, I'll probrably just end up removing or turning the stairs (cheezy! Angry) oh well what do you think maximinus?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:51:04 AM by shrew81 » Logged

I hate signatures.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »

If you want my life to be nice and easy, then make it all flat  Smiley

We can talk about fake elevation and how to handle it later on, for now I just need a big building to test how to render the inside.

Science is open-source religion
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2009, 08:27:37 AM »

yessir! oh, and here is the go-around of THE CRATE out of 8 possible angles (45* increments) only 4 looked different, so here:

also, anyway to make an object cast shadows in blender, but not be rendered or accept light?

* 1.png (7.67 KB, 152x152 - viewed 492 times.)

* 2.png (7.65 KB, 152x152 - viewed 492 times.)

* 3.png (5.13 KB, 152x152 - viewed 503 times.)

* 4.png (5.83 KB, 152x152 - viewed 517 times.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 08:43:48 AM by shrew81 » Logged

I hate signatures.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2009, 09:34:27 AM »

Why is that maximinus? If you put the stairs object into the ground layer, not the object layer and add some extra blockers to ensure that you can't enter the stairs from the side of the guardrail, it should work fine IMO.
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2009, 09:54:18 AM »

yeah, but it wont work right due to the perspective, if you put some stairs in so they are perpendicular to the player (strait on) then it would work, just not at an angle... Cry oh well, I don't want cheezy stairs anyways...

I hate signatures.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2009, 12:16:09 PM »

Why is that maximinus? If you put the stairs object into the ground layer, not the object layer and add some extra blockers to ensure that you can't enter the stairs from the side of the guardrail, it should work fine IMO.

Firstly, the blocking resolution isn't finely tuned enough (since I can only block per tile).

Secondly, the animation would look wrong as you walked up the stairs (a biggie).

Thirdly, the handrail would be have be rendered over the top (yet another layer) or removed to look good.

Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2009, 01:33:41 PM »

Hallo there.
First of all my compliments to you Shrew81 for your new building. Your model looks really professional.
An indecent proposal for characters walking up stairs: why don't we handle it by the sprites? I mean, have the xml file handle the fake change of level. Stairs lenght should be equal to a given number of ground tiles, of course.
This would complicate us gfx guys lives instead.
Well, just a proposal, no harm in asking.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2009, 03:22:43 PM »

An indecent proposal for characters walking up stairs: why don't we handle it by the sprites? I mean, have the xml file handle the fake change of level. Stairs lenght should be equal to a given number of ground tiles, of course.

Sounds good to me purely because that means moving the work from the programming dept over to the gfx dept  Wink

shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »

ok guys, question; if we create buildings integrated into the world map would we need the building in two/three parts?
been messing with this and have finally come to the conclusion that this would be the best way, no? at least when someone goes into the building, they would be under the support beams, and the front walls, but over the ground and back walls. makes sense?

tell me what you think

PS: sorry about the huge pic, I figured if we wanted a huge building, might as well go overboard Tongue

I hate signatures.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2009, 06:15:58 PM »

Holy mother of Jesus, thats a big building but you are correct. Split it up and I'll get around to adding it to SVN

shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2009, 06:19:01 AM »

ok, after a waaay too long absence, my laptop is up and running, and I have finished the Warehouse (or have I???) I still want to add other things to the walls, but was thinking of making them universal, so they could be used in any building. I also don't know if the ceiling beams should be with the front, or like a second roof... anyways, the first is a preview, then there is the roof, front/beams, back, and bottom. they should be stacked in that order from top to bottom.

when the player enters the building, the roof dissapears but the A frames stay, just to look cool Grin

What to work on next? Ive Been thinking about walls. If you could have a color-coded texture for the terrain(that is not rendered) you could block a player from entering a cell from specific sides, then you could have certain colors mean stuff like doors, stairs, cutscene, ect... then you would be able to have walls between cells, then you would be able to walk closely on both sides, but not go through. anyways, tell me what you think.

I hate signatures.
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2009, 06:23:07 AM »

oh, and dont forget an interior preview, forgive me for the emptyness Grin

PS: the character looks so small because I made the door exactly 1 tile wide, so he can fit through easily!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 06:25:25 AM by shrew81 » Logged

I hate signatures.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2009, 08:37:12 AM »

Most of me loves it when you post new stuff, but part of dreads hacking it all into SVN nicely.

I am most definitely going to have to find a way to automate the process, otherwise it'll be the death of me...

Otherwise, good work all around

shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2009, 02:26:16 PM »

What all does it take to put it into the SVN? is it a lot of programming? Am I doing it in a way that ends up making it hard for you? You're right, we need an automated process, but there are so many types of buildings, Any way I can help?

I hate signatures.
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2009, 02:51:11 PM »

I assume the hard thing is to 1. cut the images into sprites 2. give them names... somebody will have to script around with bash & imagemagic a little Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to: