Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: WIPs and Finished - shrew81's Environment art  (Read 29446 times)
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 05:29:02 PM »

done and done,

hows this? I still kept a certain percentage with the building so the character would be shaded by the roof, while the floor still had its shadow as well, good?

edit, now that I thought about it, there isnt much of a difference, here is a mock screen, just for the heck of it. Grin
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:42:47 PM by shrew81 » Logged

I hate signatures.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 06:46:30 PM »

You' re on the right track! More! I mean, more dirt and more buildings.
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 10:22:26 PM »

ok, sorry about all of the pics, I have finally finished the shanty building and will move on to other subjects.
I added the door, front porch, and the side walls Tongue again, its the upper, lower, and the preview. enjoy!

finished! Grin
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:36:27 PM by shrew81 » Logged

I hate signatures.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 03:12:27 AM »

Coolio!

I'm aiming to spend a good 5-6 hours on PARPG today, so I will add to SVN and do piccys etc later.

Science is open-source religion
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2009, 07:48:02 AM »

Looks impressive! Please keep up the good job, shrew81!
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2009, 10:48:14 AM »

Whoha! \o/ Good work.

Idea for more detail: Posters & Propaganda. Every wall on a pre-war house needs at least one propaganda poster of some sort.

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2009, 03:01:04 PM »

Nice one shrew :-) That looks pretty impressive to me.

Concerning shadow handling: I propose that we simply test different approaches (shadow as part of the building, separate shadow image, etc.) in combination with the engine and stick to the one that works out best. I can't say ATM which approach that is, so some testing is definately needed.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »

I was really busy today adding lots of nice new code to PARPG; unfortunately it was 'invisible' code which means that PARPG is the same today as it was yesterday (but I am happy with most of the new additions, even if you won't see them).

But I really will try to add your stuff to SVN on Sunday night and give a screenshot. Your gfx give us all some motivation and it's good to see them in-game.

shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2009, 04:57:29 PM »

alright, this combination of a top and bottom layer seems to be the best way, (from my point of view) in a few days, I am finally going to have my laptop working again and will be able to work on this for more than a few hours a week;D till then!

oh, and zimble, these houses are meant to be post apocalypse whatever-you-can-throw-together type buildings, so, no posters, but keep the ideas coming!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:50:45 PM by shrew81 » Logged

I hate signatures.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 05:04:38 PM »

Seems good and logical to me, too. Let's see how it pans out in the FIFE engine...

shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2009, 03:52:48 AM »

question, (if anyone gets a chance to answer), if i make a large building, and then make a sprite that will go over the roof to make it look crashed in, would it work? this way you could have very random buildings, all you would have to do is include the damaged sprite over the building sprite, and then you could alter it and make it unique (placement, size, etc...) would this work? this would give the level designer a much faster workflow than having to pull out a new unique building every time he/she would want a warehouse/bunker/random building... good? or no good?

Also: I was making a warehouse, what about that? something like:

old-abandoned looking, and whatnot... but still operable yes?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 04:22:16 AM by shrew81 » Logged

I hate signatures.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2009, 05:24:57 AM »

Looks good to me. Could you make it nice and big so we can use it as a test building that you actually enter?

shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2009, 04:13:08 AM »

ok, here is the working of the warehouse. it will have a removable roof so if we do want our buildings integrated into the world map, then here it is.

the windows are changeable, just a matter of looking cool with godrays shooting in.
um, i was wondering what the problem with the story was? everybody is making it way too complicated. I can come up with one that would allow technology, (at least guns and cars) and enemy factions (at least two)... lets see,

hmmm:
Economy collapses
anarchy
as it gets colder, the remaining survivors band together to form a democratic gov't
they mobilize the oil and security branches, but the threat of raiders and the extreme cold drive the gov't into a dictatorship.
now there are mass buildups of weapons and troops who scour the land looking for warlord groups (raiders) or anyone not under their control.
you happen to be a part of a group that is attacked and your family is taken as slaves on one of the still operable oil rigs.
Bam! story!
good vs evil, a goal, and a sequel (?!?!)

would work...  Undecided
anyways, tell me what you think about the warehouse Grin

I hate signatures.
Dave Matney
Community member

29640090 naveofhearts@hotmail.com naveking matneyx
View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2009, 04:20:58 AM »

I dig it.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email