Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: WIPs and Finished - shrew81's Environment art  (Read 38842 times)
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 08:57:04 AM »

all right. its 3:42 am here and I am almost about back to where I was a day or two ago.

Here is the new shanty building and as you guys can see, and just for egalor, I dented the roof and retextured the crate! (found an unfinished model laying around my C drive and fixed it up good as new!)

All of my programs were erased as well, so my setup scenes do not work anymore  Undecided im trying to find a reference Obj file to scale and position my objects to, but I just cant seem to catch a break today.

also: sorry about the picture quality, its a screenshot due to my inability to agree with blender.
Hmmm... looking at this building, and its not as exiting as the last one, i may remake the old one, 'eventually' Grin
*sleep*

I hate signatures.
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 11:36:06 AM »

Me likes it much more gooder! Smiley
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM »

Didn't want to post a piccy twice, but I have added your gfx to SVN, and they can be seen in game here: http://forums.parpg.net/index.php?topic=161.0

Science is open-source religion
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 08:34:15 AM »

Looks good to me, shrew.
How did you make the roof dented? I mean, whats the "normal" way of doing this in blender/max/whatever?

Do you move the vertices by hand to make the dents? Or do you apply a lattice to the roof and deform the lattice which then deforms the roof?
I`m still learning and some basic things like this still make me curious, so excuse my dumb question Wink

Another question (to maximinus):
Shrews shanty building is one of the "more open" types. How does the engine handle this. Will there be walkable tiles under the roof so that you just can walk into the house and the roof is painted over the character?
Or is this handled like any other type of building with an entry and and a seperate inside-the-house-scene?

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 10:39:37 AM »

Another question (to maximinus):
Shrews shanty building is one of the "more open" types. How does the engine handle this. Will there be walkable tiles under the roof so that you just can walk into the house and the roof is painted over the character?
Or is this handled like any other type of building with an entry and and a seperate inside-the-house-scene?

The answer to your question: not well.

The more full answer to your question: we havn´t decided yet

The FIFE engine is pretty bar when it comes to handling these things, you can render plain 2d tiles either below or on top of the PC, and the rest you have to handle yourself.

shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 01:44:34 PM »

well, for the dents i used silo, it has a sculpting ability like zbrush or mudbox.  however, the more common way that works on nearly all programs is to use soft selection:
This: http://www.nevercenter.com/wiki/index.php?title=Soft_Selection will take you to nevercenter, the makers of silo. they explain it better than i could.
and a lattice wouldn't be able to make the more crooked dents like sculpting/soft selection could

also, maximinus: I thought these (in particular) buildings are meant to just exist, not for the character to go inside, the building is made low and jumbled like present day shanty towns. so I figured the player would never find a reason to crawl into one of these holes, or, it you want it, I heard that when you enter a building, the world map would disappear and a new replacement map of the interior would pop up, is that how the programmers are still doing it? Undecided
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 01:48:54 PM by shrew81 » Logged

I hate signatures.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 02:29:08 PM »

the player would never find a reason to crawl into one of these holes
Why, I usually steal all which isn't nailed to the ground..
AFAIK buildings will be in pure Baldur's Gates style. Yes, they'll be loaded in another map.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 04:22:08 AM »

also, maximinus: I thought these (in particular) buildings are meant to just exist, not for the character to go inside, the building is made low and jumbled like present day shanty towns. so I figured the player would never find a reason to crawl into one of these holes, or, it you want it, I heard that when you enter a building, the world map would disappear and a new replacement map of the interior would pop up, is that how the programmers are still doing it? Undecided

My preference is that we have some buildings you can't enter (just for show) and the buildings you can enter switch to a mpa of the inside of the building. zenbitz said he wasn't too keen on this idea because then you couldn't shoot out of buildings.

shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 04:46:43 AM »

dunno, I'll leave that to the big wigs to decide and just make the exteriors for now.
here is a large render that you can just look at, or scale it down and put it in game.
I used the no floor shadow trick and it works very well, thanks again zimble!

I hate signatures.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 09:03:02 AM »

Very, very good. Add some rust and scratches and it will be production ready. Keep up the good work.
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 09:10:03 AM »

Now that looks nice. I agree with Sireen. Some dirtmap would be nice. Or try to apply Lamoots snow material.
I still need to figure out how to add this snow only to specific parts. Something with stencil maps.... but didn't work in the first try

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 10:20:45 AM »

Hey shrew, once again keep the good work up.

I have a slight problem though - having to scale up or down your work is a major PITA for me, because I not a gfx guy (I appreciate itś not an easy task for you, either, though). We need to come up some solution so that´s it's easy for your end as well as it is for mine.

Edit: added important NOT!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:20:40 PM by maximinus » Logged

shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 05:12:15 PM »

ok, i believe this is perfect to scale, there is snow, dirt, rust and so on, and a second layer for the dirt tracks around the building... I guess this first building was just a starter to find all of the problems and preferences of the people around me. anyways, here they are:

1st: with backdrop
2nd:building only
3rd: dirt overlay (looks horrible by itself, but respectable on a backdrop Undecided)

what do you think guys? anything else I should merge into my workflow?
BTW: I'm not done yet, it still lacks a lot of detail I would like, I'm just trying to get a respectable and usable render down.
any suggestions on what all to add to this building or to the next building would be great.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:15:27 PM by shrew81 » Logged

I hate signatures.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 05:14:22 PM »

What a fast response! I'll try and add to SVN tomorrow and put up a screenshot.

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 05:18:55 PM »

Actually, adding the buildings shadow to the dirt tracks image would be good, since on the former the player is always above the image whilst on the latter you can be both in front and behind.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to: