Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: WIPs and Finished - shrew81's Environment art  (Read 26851 times)
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« on: April 28, 2009, 06:35:03 PM »

Ok guys, just finished the first art piece for me to contribute.

just a crate, every game has to have a crate!
the four squares are signs that are assigned to the same texture map as the rest of the crate, just in case the level designer wants a sign or two
also: there is a exploded version in the background, haven't textured it, made it just in case you guys want it Smiley

Edit: those renders looked fugly! replaced with screenshot, for your viewing pleasure! Cheesy

second edit: both of those looked fugly! here is the new and improved... crate! Grin
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:10:26 PM by Gaspard » Logged

I hate signatures.
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 03:49:15 AM »

Ok, getting to work on, from left to right (in case you cant tell Cry ) a crowbar, axe, bat, and machete... will update these soon.

PS: notice the "Vemhan slugger" on the bat  Tongue
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:28:11 PM by shrew81 » Logged

I hate signatures.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 05:11:50 AM »

Sorry shrew but I'm not seeing any piccy's.....  Sad

Science is open-source religion
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 12:31:21 PM »

wow, Im embarressed, Embarrassed I cant even upload pics right... took me a minute to realize what piccys were, till i noticed that there were none. anyways, fixed Grin

I hate signatures.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 02:14:10 PM »

Looks like a good start to me. Could you try to render ingame versions of them by importing them into blender and using Lamoot's rendering template?

See:
http://wiki.parpg.net/Draft:Graphics
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 02:43:58 PM »

Crowbar, axe and bat look fine for the start. Machete looks unconvincing to my eye.

Crates: the one broken down - looks well.

The one up front - needs complete overhaul:
- what material is it made of?
- what are those yellow squares?
- belts lack any thickness

Anyway, that seems to be some good starting point. Do you have anything else?

EDIT: I finally got it: the machete reminds me of a rasp-file Smiley
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 03:34:37 PM by egalor » Logged
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 03:10:58 PM »

Crowbar, axe and bat look fine for the start. Machete looks unconvincing to my eye.

That's what I thought. But it's good work, so count me as happy!  Smiley

shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 07:13:16 PM »

yeah, the machete is modeled after a large knife I bought at a flea market a few years back, its made out a single piece of iron, so it looks like it would fit the game well...

the belts on the box do have thickness, but dosnt look it from this angle... will fix.

the texture is from a piece of plywood outside my house, and the yellow squares are for signs, couldnt think of any, so just left them yellow... will change that as well this evening..

and as far as the rendering in the blender setup... I'll get to it.  this evening. I promise Grin

I hate signatures.
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 10:02:35 PM »

I'd suggest you rather try to incorporate them into the game first, as mvBarracuda said. http://wiki.parpg.net/Draft:Graphics

And then you could work them into perfection from that exact angle.
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 11:25:08 PM »

OKOKOKOK Grin Ive been fooling around with Blender (how do people use this Huh)and this is what Ive come up with...

I figure these are good enough at that draw distance. and now I have a scene set up for my native modeling programs to make these faster. cheers and I'll continue the work on the weapon displays.

BTW: wont be able to work on these till next monday... sorry!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 07:18:21 PM by shrew81 » Logged

I hate signatures.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 02:54:51 AM »

I'll put that crate into the game and post a screenshot tonight. It looks better at that size than the first picture. Good work!

shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 10:07:49 AM »

Ok maximinus, Ive given your idea for more environment work (for now) a go ahead and here is what i have come up with so far:
Shanty house
Made out of old parts and pieces, roaming survivors build these (here and there)
Its made of parts and pieces so I can make a bunch of these very differently once ive made all of the parts...like legos! Tongue
I'll try to make some more eye candy for you after I finish this bit...

Also: For a large item like a building, how big should I render it? big (like this) or in pieces?
or just chop it up in photoshop? this is not to scale and the renderer has been messed with a bit, though still the same angle as you want... I guess a wider lense setup would do, if you have a scene setup for this, post it and I will get this in order as I cannot make blender do what I want at all (just figured out how to scale... Angry)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:22:33 AM by shrew81 » Logged

I hate signatures.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 12:57:26 PM »

Wow - that looks good!

Ok, look at the following template:

This a render with the tiles overlayed. The first thing you have to decide is what tiles you are going to use. Every tile you overlay that isn't just flat ground we block so that the sprites cannot enter. So you should try and make your buildings confirm a little to this grid, otherwise it will look a little funny. In the picture above, I used the brick blocks as the basis for my house (I basically drew one in the gimp).

The rest you can leave to me, since i am trying to automate a method my end to turn your gfx into things the game engine can use easily. So I need a nice simple cropped image with a transparent background. Nothing more, nothing less.

egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 08:43:02 AM »

Shrew81,

These crates look really ok in that perspective.

Shanty house: A pipe (over the roof), a barrel and yellow-something-to-the-left don't look like they are metallic. I would also suggest to make the roof dented.

It would be interesting to see these things covered with snow as well.
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 02:01:54 AM »

ok... I have good news and bad news..
Good News:
   I just got a high-quality camera so i can take good reference pictures for textures(for ground and stuff)
   And I just bought a Wacom so I will be able to texture much faster now...
Bad news:
   My roommate erased all of my files so I'm starting from scratch... Angry

Oh well, I'll get to work on the shanty house again tonight (hopefully) and will post what I've done so far.

Egalor: there were no textures on the yellow objects yet, and the yellow-something-to-the-left was a car door, I am ashamed... Cry will make it better on the redo, and thanks for reminding me the game is set in snow! (somehow forgot to include that)

Maximinus: I already used a template to make sure the building was proper, but your idea is much better! will implement tonight, thanks for the tip! Grin
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 02:26:01 AM by shrew81 » Logged

I hate signatures.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to: