Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Pretty pictures....  (Read 25660 times)
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 08:43:54 AM »

Splitting up the buildings correctly is getting closer  Wink

I keep all of these pictures on Photobucket, so for a quick visual history of PARPG just look here:

http://s437.photobucket.com/albums/qq100/hengdi/?albumview=slideshow

Science is open-source religion
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 01:38:50 PM »

And now working fine:

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 02:35:44 PM »

Sorry about the ego-trip wall, it'll be gone next time I commit  Cheesy

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 05:19:25 AM »

Snow now added, and right-clicking is pixel perfect AND you get a free highlight!

The colour of the highlight can easily change. Suggestions are welcome.

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 07:50:42 AM »

I already tried the thing out. There's a thing with the highlighting - if you highlight the crate next to the woman and then move your mouse over to the woman then the crate stays highlighted and woman becomes highlighted at the same time - crate's highlight does not disappear in this case. Same thing happens the other way around - from woman to crate.

There's a question about the character movement too - when it moves around a corner of a building it cuts through the building's graphic. Is that fixable with blocking (so that it takes a step AROUND not through the corner) ?

Great work so far  Cheesy
sm4rv
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 07:56:50 AM »

The colour of the highlight can easily change. Suggestions are welcome.

I prefer green to blue Smiley.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 10:23:58 AM »

I already tried the thing out. There's a thing with the highlighting - if you highlight the crate next to the woman and then move your mouse over to the woman then the crate stays highlighted and woman becomes highlighted at the same time - crate's highlight does not disappear in this case. Same thing happens the other way around - from woman to crate.

There's a question about the character movement too - when it moves around a corner of a building it cuts through the building's graphic. Is that fixable with blocking (so that it takes a step AROUND not through the corner) ?

Great work so far  Cheesy

First point is being worked on.

The second point, clipping issues, is a FIFE thing. I'm thinking of suggesting that the buildings don't go fully to the edge of the tile, that would resolve a lot of it. Other than that there's nothing we can do (I appreciate it's also hard to solve in FIFE as well).

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 10:35:57 AM »

Couldn't the character (NPCs/critters alike) be forced to walk around the corner - ie take an extra step ? So it wouldn't go one step - hop - through corners of tiles but instead take two steps to turn the corner by moving through the sides of the squares

EDIT: I'd think an animated character might have their own problems in a situation like this
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:38:33 AM by Gaspard » Logged
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 11:00:23 AM »

Couldn't the character (NPCs/critters alike) be forced to walk around the corner - ie take an extra step ? So it wouldn't go one step - hop - through corners of tiles but instead take two steps to turn the corner by moving through the sides of the squares

EDIT: I'd think an animated character might have their own problems in a situation like this

IF you re-wrote some FIFE stuff, yes - be my guest!  Grin

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 11:21:05 AM »

To be honest: to my understanding FIFE acts 100% like intended in this case. I don't see how you could really rewrite parts of FIFE to deal with it. If somebody actually got an idea how this could be done, please suggest it and I'm more than happy to ask the FIFE developers if they could add this kind of functionality to FIFE. One of the old lead programmers of FIFE plans to spend some time working on the engine again this summer, so he might be interested in working on this aspect if we bring it up.

The other option is (as said): add additional invisible blockers at the edges of buildings to prevent that the character steps into them, it's not hard and it will be even easier once the new improved map editor tool is available in trunk that gets currently developed in one of FIFE's SVN branches.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:24:52 AM by mvBarracuda » Logged
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 12:17:59 PM »

The other option is (as said): add additional invisible blockers at the edges of buildings to prevent that the character steps into them

Actually that's the thing I had in mind. I've already realized that re-writing parts of FIFE by the PARPG team is pretty much moot
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 01:04:36 PM »

My point is: I doubt that you can automatize the task anyway. Even if we would have a lot of experienced C++ programmers on the team, I don't see any _generic_ way to implement it. Feel free to correct me guys :-)
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 01:22:31 PM »

My point is: I doubt that you can automatize the task anyway. Even if we would have a lot of experienced C++ programmers on the team, I don't see any _generic_ way to implement it. Feel free to correct me guys :-)

You could it properly with an awesome amount of difficulty. I think you would end up re-creating the entire engine in 3D on the way though - which has elements of applying Greenspuns tenth rule to the problem!

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 01:46:26 PM »

Yep, I agree about your comment maximinus: there is no easy generic way to do that with a 2d engine and switching to the 3d one will complicate a lot of other aspects. Therefore we should:
a) Add some x / y shifts to the relevants objects as well as
b) Add invisible blockers where needed

These approaches should be sufficent to cope with it.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 01:59:22 PM »

Yes. I don't think it's a major problem, as long as the artists and map makers are aware of it and adjust accordingly.

Certainly the effort required to eliminate it the 'proper' way is far beyond what we could do now.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: