Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Pretty pictures....  (Read 20133 times)
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: April 24, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »

Just thought I'd add a thread to post some (maybe) pretty pictures. Anyhow, here's the latest SVN version, hot off the press from about 5 minutes ago. We now have some simple buildings you can walk around (the image has been re-scaled).

I'll post any more pictures as the code gets updated here as well.

Science is open-source religion
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 03:52:19 PM »

Added shrew81's gfx to SVN, purely for motivation and the fact that they look good!

Both the PC and the hut I had to hack a little bit, and the hut is now probably the wrong size, but that's because I'm not really a gfx guy. But here is a new screenshot for you all to enjoy anyway:

egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 04:28:48 PM »

Very nice. We want moar, tho. Smiley
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:24:33 PM »

haha! that makes me feel good!
The screen looks good, I will be working on getting a piece of ground underneath my pieces from now on, so it will blend in well.
I guess snow? and tracks from foot traffic.
anyways, cheers

I hate signatures.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 09:49:11 PM »

The scenery itself should usually not contain any ground AFAICT. This way you can simply put it on a lot of different ground types. Feedback by the other artists would be appreciated.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 09:55:26 PM »

I only tinkered with Arcanum and Fallout but do share this opinion.
shrew81
Community member

Do it

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 01:13:20 AM »

But what about tracks, dirt floors underneath huts and other 'living world' things? should those be rendered to sprites as well and then placed below?

I hate signatures.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 04:26:27 AM »

I must admit I'd rather have the building seperate from all the stuff around it (like the barrels and so forth) because the code for splitting the building up is already a bit nasty.

But to be honest, I'd rather see a few more buildings added by the artists because then I can see the problems that will arise.

eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 03:38:29 AM »

But what about tracks, dirt floors underneath huts and other 'living world' things? should those be rendered to sprites as well and then placed below?

Anything you can potentially walk behind or go inside should be rendered as a separate image from the ground it rest on, otherwise you can't overlap people, objects and ground properly.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 02:54:45 PM »

We're still puzzled if you should be able to enter buildings without a map switch or if the interieur of buildings should reside in a separate map that gets loaded once you enter the building. Both approach got pros and cons: separate buildings are easier to handle when it comes to graphics creation and programming; in case of buildings that you can enter without loading a new map, you will need to worry about z-ordering and blocking as well as proper splitting of buildings (in several one tile-width wall pieces) to work around that.

On the other side buildings that you can enter without a map change provide some additional gameplay depth. E.g. You could fire from the inside of a building through the windows of it at somebody who walks around outside. That would also work the other way round.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 03:54:55 PM »

This is not the right thread but it would be a *lot * easier to have building interiors as a separate map; we could even have things like stairs and lifts. The lack of an ability to shoot out of the windows seems very minor IMO.

eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »

This is not the right thread but it would be a *lot * easier to have building interiors as a separate map; we could even have things like stairs and lifts.

Most cRPGs do it that way (in my experience).  I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 08:12:34 PM »

I'm a Fallout maniac :-) Buildings were split up in Fallout and Arcanum. The Infinity Engines (Baldurs Gate, PS:T, Icewind Dale) games handled it differently and used separate maps for the purpose.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 09:43:02 AM »

Our happy post apocalyptic couple find more crates.....  Wink

This was more work than you might think, since I separated out the data for the objects and NPCs (since they may well change when you go back to a map). So now these are loaded from a separate XML and then added to Fife with another piece of code.

Or to put it simply, our data model just got a lot better.

Or even simpler, progress continues  Grin

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 02:40:32 PM »

Been a while since my last post here....

Anyway, you can now right-click objects to see a short description of them. This shot also shows how the HUD currently looks in the game.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: