Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: PROPOSAL: Encumbrance, Armor and Clothes  (Read 17983 times)
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 01:10:19 AM »

From the wiki entry:

A cold resistance (in degrees 0), the temperature below which the item fails to protect vs. cold

I think it would be more realistic (if that's really what you want) to have an insulation property, because clothes don't really 'stop working' at colder temperatures. Possibly also a 'wind resistance' stat as well since that's just as important (it gets to -30C where I live, and -20C with no wind feels almost pleasant sometimes!).

Of course, I still think there are too many stats so adding another one goes against my philosophy, but I'd still like to float the idea out there.

Science is open-source religion
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 02:15:43 AM »

It's what you might call "Design for Effect".  The physical principals here are not particularly important.  I mean we *may* want to allow people to "stack" clothes which enhances their effect... but I think I outlined somewhere that IN GENERAL, characters can be assumed to be always protected from "standard" cold.

Super extreme cold in the game I think should be like "green goo" or radiation in fallout games.  Normally not an issue, but there are spots where you need extra protection.

From that perspective, the Temp rating of clothes is not particularly important, except to the extent that some might not be warm enough for super extreme cold.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 10:28:51 AM »

It's what you might call "Design for Effect".  The physical principals here are not particularly important.  I mean we *may* want to allow people to "stack" clothes which enhances their effect... but I think I outlined somewhere that IN GENERAL, characters can be assumed to be always protected from "standard" cold.

Sounds good to me. If you're living in a cold place, you'll normally have the appropriate clothes.
Extra cold places tend to be either at night or from the cold, IMHO. I'd love to have day/night but it look like that could be difficult in Fife

Science is open-source religion
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: