Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Discussion - Environment Sprites  (Read 19547 times)
eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 06:52:47 PM »

I don't know if i'll have much time to make art today.

Bah, what am i thinking?   Huh You need something functional, not something that looks pretty but takes a long time to make.

I uploaded a set of grass transitions to trunk/demo/...  and also that grid.  They probably won't fit together seamlessly, but it will work for your purposes.

If this helps, here's the guide that shows where each numbered transition image is on the sequence.  If this sequence doesn't work for you, feel free to change it, it shouldn't matter to the artists, as long as they know what the sequence is.

Also if it makes the calculations cleaner it would be easy to add back in the 2 transitions marked with "A", though it seems rather a waste of space to include the "B" transitions.

EDIT: also added quick gravel transitions, so you now have 2 to work with.  If they were well done transitions, they would have a different alpha mask than the grass transitions.

* transitions-guide.jpg (85.9 KB, 735x368 - viewed 587 times.)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:38:09 PM by eleazzaar » Logged
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 01:47:14 AM »

Bah, what am i thinking?   Huh You need something functional, not something that looks pretty but takes a long time to make.

Exactly. Good man! I'll put some screen shots up soon - soon being an unknown quantity because I maybe busy today and tomorrow.

Science is open-source religion
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 02:41:03 AM »

Mmmm, you are right about there going to be a huge load of little files; and every one will of course have it's own little XML file to go with it  Sad
I've organised the current files and added the XML, later I'll thing about automating the process but it's good to go for testing right now.

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 03:15:14 PM »

Here it is, in all it's glory:

It's in SVN if you want a better look.

eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 07:52:44 PM »

Cool Smiley

Not to downplay your work, but i wonder if transparent transitions are something that the FIFE engine should handle.

1) transitions are useful for other FIFE products, not just PARPG

2) they might be rendered more efficiently, in terms of redraw and so forth if the FIFE engine did it

3) If the FIFE team can take care of it, that's one less thing for our rather small team to worry about

I intend to bring the question up on the FIFE forums to see if the FIFE devs are interested.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 02:07:16 AM »

2) they might be rendered more efficiently, in terms of redraw and so forth if the FIFE engine did it

Fife engine is doing the above. Wether or not that changes will be discovered as we start to add bigger maps.

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2009, 02:23:42 PM »

Eleazzaar, it turns out that I really DO need all those extra transition tiles (the ones marked A and B in the diagram above).

So if you end up creating a new set, please make all of them!

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2009, 02:31:35 PM »

Actually, how easy is it for you to render those last tiles, shuffle the filenames around and so forth (since I can't face an hour in the gimp and on the command line...  Embarrassed )
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 01:56:51 PM by maximinus » Logged

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2009, 07:06:19 AM »

I've a had fairly rough week being ill and somewhat, so no real work. However, I got back on the case today and have nearly finished a tile transition layer utility - you give it a map, and it inserts an extra layer (or 2, or 3) with all the transition tiles in place for you (so no fiddling in the editor). Here the brick tiles have auto-magically had a grass transition layer added to them (Ignore the red tiles for now).

Notice I haven't done 'corner' transitions yet, but they are easy to add.

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2009, 02:54:45 PM »

Notice I haven't done 'corner' transitions yet, but they are easy to add.

They were, except that missing a -1 buried in the code cost me an hour of head-scratching!

qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2009, 06:26:19 PM »

I like the images in this thread (didn't read the text Wink ) nice work on the tile-transitions!

the grass seems a bit too active or maybe has too much depth (and definitely looks too healthy Wink

I also want to let you know of this: http://forum.freegamedev.net/index.php?t=msg&th=2163 (small seamless tiles)
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2009, 02:07:02 AM »

The tiles used so far are definitely only for testing. I agree the contrast is a little over the top, and the transitions could be better done. Just think of them as proof-of-concept  Wink

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2009, 12:37:45 PM »

Nice find qubodup. Do you happen to know any kind of tool that could transform these normal seamless images into actual diamond-shaped tiles?
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2009, 05:42:18 PM »

Should be fairly easy using the blender set-up in SVN

eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2009, 09:36:59 PM »

Should be fairly easy using the blender set-up in SVN

It would also be trivial to transform them to the diamond shape with Photoshop or the Gimp
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to: